2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

2014--50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars BOW

Old 08-08-2014, 10:04 AM

Oops-forgot to post New Jersey & New Mexico.[ATTACH=CONFIG]486744[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails new-jersey-new-mexico.jpg  
Old 08-08-2014, 10:42 AM

Beautiful job, JanRN. Love your colors.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM

Jan--great blocks! You must have quite the collection of batiks.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Love your blocks Jan! After sewing up 2 quarter sections of the quilt, Wow, this is going to be huge! I'm rethinking doing two smaller quilts.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:24 PM

Thank you all for your nice comments. I love doing BOMs with a group; your feed back gives me ideas and keeps me motivated. Carrie, I just buy FQs and was hoping my stash would go down but for some reason it just keeps on growing LOL. Toverly, I agree--I laid out my blocks today (have 42 done) and I couldn't take a pic of all of them together. Had to take 2 pics so this project will definitely become 2 quilts or 1 quilt and a few runners. QNS, you've been busy on so many other projects that we haven't seen any more of your red/white/blue stars--I loved them.

Maybe one of you can help me. I've been all over the internet looking for a free Mariner's Compass block to use as the center for my 50 Stars quilt. Played around in EQ7 and BlockBase but can't find one I like. If anyone has a suggestion of where to look for a pattern, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:09 PM

Hi Everyone

Jan your last 2 blocks are great love the colours, Jan and Toverly I agree with you with the size of this quilt if you are doing 12" blocks, I worked out that it is going to be larger than and king size bed, I have worked out a new design today to turn the block and put then corner to corner and this drops it down to a queen size quilt and uses all 50 blocks then all you need to do is fill in 12' triangle and 6" triangle in the corners. If I can I will post the design.

Here is my New York block. and new design hope you can see it. the colour square around the edge are going to be cut down to triangles, and on the top I will put a lighter green,then I can edge it with the dark brown ,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]487098[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]487099[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 32.-new-yorke-.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
temp quilt.pdf (1.25 MB, 181 views)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:52 PM

Beautiful blocks JanRN , and Lyn I look forward to seeing your layout, another beautiful block in those gorgeous autumn colours.

Here is my New Mexico for this week.
Attached Thumbnails new-mexico.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:08 AM

Lyn Hut, I love that swirly fabric on your NY block. Mirabelle, I also love that black fabric with the red/gold. Very dramatic. I did it, I stitched it all together. It's king size with a large drop of at least a star on every side but the top. Now the search is on for a wide back. That should take a while. The rows run 7 x 7 with 2" sashing. I still am debating about making it Queen size. Tearing it apart to 6 x 6 with the sashing, using a vertical row of 6 on the back and making pillow shams out of the rest. Then it would fit into my washing machine. The king would definitely be a dry clean only or a large washer at the laundrymat which is a little scary. Here is my New York. [ATTACH=CONFIG]487113[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 32-new-york.jpg  
Old 08-11-2014, 04:41 AM

I love Monday mornings (especially when I don't have to go to work) because of the beautiful blocks shown. Lyn, I'd like to see the layout you're planning, Toverly has me scared of the size now that she has hers sewn together. Mirab, what are you doing with all your blocks? Are you making 2 quilts like Carrie or one large one? Whatever you choose, it's going to be very dramatic and gorgeous with those colors. I'm really liking the controlled look of Lyn's; maybe my next project will be more controlled but then again Toverly and I are working in the same scrappy manner and I like those. You ladies are more & more inspiring each week.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:11 AM

For those who didn't see it, Lyn has a link to her layout (pdf file)...on my computer it is to the right of her picture.

Lyn...great block and I like your layout idea! Maybe consider alternating the setting triangles (green, orange yellow)? Just a thought.

Mirabelle and Toverly...pretty blocks for you both!

This coming weekend I am having a get-away with my BF and we are going to a couple quilt shops, but mostly going to be quilting!!! I will get the blocks done for August and then be starting on some of the ones I missed. I have fabric for about 15 blocks cut...not sure that many will get done, but wouldn't it be great!!