Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 111 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Janet My View Post
    Nice blocks everyone.... I don't have my book yet... Should be here this week.... Looks like I'm behind before I even start. LOL I've never done this but I got one of Carol Doak's DVD's and I loved it so I'll be jumping in with both feet. Hope I don't drown because I've read that some are very hard.
    I am starting behind too. Just bought fabric today - not sure about the background fabric, I am using one from my stash that I only have two yards of. Guess that means I will be using two different background fabrics. Should make for an interesting design opportunity (or headache, I'm not sure which!). I am starting mine tomorrow and if I play my cards right, will have an Alabama to post very soon!

The blocks that have been posted are lovely - so much variety and lovely fabric choices!!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    The song to sew by this week....... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cyokaj3BJU
    Sweet Home Alabama

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
    You can also download Foundation Factory Carol Doak's fab 50 stars from www.quiltpro.com for $14.99. I stated earlier it was a module for quilt pro but actually it is a stand alone application.

Just did the online delivery. Figured that it would be less money than the book. It looks great. Thanks for the tip. One question I have is there is a goodies page that said there is an asterisk added to some of the star block numbers in the book. The asterisk indicates that those pieces are added after the sections A and B are joined. I printed out one of the blocks they mentioned that had the asterisk and I couldn't find an asterisk anywhere. They also said to refer to the book to determine which piece(s) are added after the sections A & B are joined. Do you have the book? It seems as if I am missing something here. Thanks for your help, anyone. BrendaK
    Be kind to yourself, by being kind to others. When you help others you help yourself.

Blog Entries
    Wow awesome blocks so far. I plan on starting tonight. I had a couple of UFO's to finish first. I finished my homework for my BOM class, finished a charity quilt(needs quilted), finished a quilt back to take to the longarm. Ready to start tonight. I have my background fabric and the rest will be scrappy, mostly batiks. Can't wait. My first quilt I made was an Oregon star, 64 blocks. I tried to post a picture, no luck. I will have to read the directions and try again.

The astrisks are usually in a corner section. They are really tiny even in the book.. Look for a dot next to the piece #. If you tell me which star you are looking at I will tell you which piece and you can see if you see it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaK View Post
    Just did the online delivery. Figured that it would be less money than the book. It looks great. Thanks for the tip. One question I have is there is a goodies page that said there is an asterisk added to some of the star block numbers in the book. The asterisk indicates that those pieces are added after the sections A and B are joined. I printed out one of the blocks they mentioned that had the asterisk and I couldn't find an asterisk anywhere. They also said to refer to the book to determine which piece(s) are added after the sections A & B are joined. Do you have the book? It seems as if I am missing something here. Thanks for your help, anyone. BrendaK

Alabama

Okay, will post my first star. Trying to remember all the answers I wanted to post to things I've read. I'm glad all will be on one page. I have another threat where the pics are elsewhere and I always forget how to get there. This will be on LOOOONG thread when we're finished!!! I know there were others where I wanted to comment, but wanted to read all postings first and now I've lost that thread (literally) Oh, well - ALL the stars are beautiful. Love the colors everyone has chosen. My stars will all be scrappy, but I think the background on mine is too dark, but that's what I chose and will do as many stars as my fabric holds out for. I did pick others to use on upcoming stars, so we'll see. Here 'tis
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Okay, looks like my jpeg was too big. Somewhere here someone talked about reducing size. What was that link?
    Kathleen

Here's my second try
    Kathleen

ok, lets see if this works - Star #1 - AlabamaName:  MVC-025F.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  52.4 KB
    Fabaddict

Wow, that is going to be a pretty quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabaddict View Post
    ok, lets see if this works - Star #1 - AlabamaName:  MVC-025F.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  52.4 KB

Wow, all of these are great looking. Now I'm trying to decide if I like the ones with all the same colors around the edges or the ones with the 2 tones like in her book...don't know which way to go now.

I'm planning on doing mine in 30's prints and using the muslin as the background for all of them. Looks interesting in my mind anyway.

I do have my book "ripped" apart, hole punched and in a binder so it will be easier to make copies of each page as I need them. I asked my hubby what the easiest way would be to take it apart (really was afraid he'd take it to the garage and use the table saw on the binding ) when he looked at it and stretched the binding and starting carefully tearing the pages apart. He did the whole book for me. What a nice guy. Next week maybe I get him to do my other 10 PP books since I'm a poor helpless woman .
    Lisa L.
    Howdies from Possum Trot (yes it does exist)
    My most recent swap - Boomerang 16

Alabama Star

Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Please join us in working through Caraol Doak's book "50 Fabulous Paper-Pieced Stars". Starting the first week in January we will be making one star a week, starting with Alabama and ending in December with Wyoming. If you have this book, please join us. there will be no patterns or tutorials given and there is no sign ups required. Do as few or as many as you like. We would love to see your beautiful stars so please post their picture here.

This is going to be fun! Here is my first star block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Brenda, I saw that note too in FF but don't have the book. Let me know the name of one of the blocks that have an asterisk in the book and I will take a peek. I figured I would worry about that when I got to it, since I know that Alabama and Alaska don't have that. I just made the Alabama star yesterday using FF, and it worked beautifully. I will post my photo in a little while.

Nicky

Sure wish all the block pictures were together so I wouldn't have to hunt them down from all the reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Mona Lisa 2011 View Post
    Sure wish all the block pictures were together so I wouldn't have to hunt them down from all the reading.
    Mona Lisa, I agree!

Mona Lisa, your block is striking! I made my Alabama with a black blender background also. I am using scraps but will have to buy more black.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    Sweet Home Alabama!Attachment 299437
    WhitePine, your star is beautiful! Batiks work well for these.

The block does not show the asterik - it will be after the location number in the cutting list -- for example, Connecticut piece number 8 is added after the 2 pieces are joined that make up a quarter of the block according to the directions. But if you look at the block, it could be done a section at a time, the corner done in 2 pieces instead of one. I think using the single piece would show off a focus fabric much nicer. Howe ver, when you look at Hawaii, you will need to do the corner piecing AFTER the sections are joined. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-02-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Happy New Year everyone. Let's see all your beautiful Alabamas. Here is mine.
    PokerDiva, very pretty!

I am going to try something and I hope it works. Also hope I got everybody's.

Now you can see how they look beside each other.

Blog Entries
    Everyone's blocks are sooo pretty! Congrats to us.

Blog Entries
    I am planning on using the same fabric for the background in all of my blocks. I had no idea how much to buy. I emailed Carol Doak. They replied that they had never done all 50 blocks that way. They said most backgrounds can be made with a 5 inch strip of fabric. They recommended buying 7 yards. Said you would probably have leftovers. WOW sounds like a lot. I only bought 5 yards. I guess I need to go buy more before it is gone.
    Thanks fo putting all of the pictures together. So much easier to look at

Here is my Alabama Star. I found it was easier to do each set of identical sections at the same time, and then go on to the other set.

Blog Entries
    Now you can see how they look beside each other.
    Thank you PokerDiva! It's so inspiring to see all the blocks together! Wow!

Nicky, great block too!

Ronda

Page 11 of 111 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 ... LastLast