Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 21 of 111 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Im using tracing paper cut down to copy paper size. It will go through the printer if I have a lot of paper loaded. When it gets low, the tracing paper will not go through. It works so much better for me than copy paper, which is thicker and harder to remove.

Blog Entries
    I use what I have on hand...I've used regular cheap copy paper, the newsprint pad paper, official paper piece paper and tracing paper. They all work, although the tracing paper came apart at the seams even before I was ready for it to. LOL!
    Ronda

Thanks for you input about the paper. I used regular foundation papers... $14.99 a package. As I said.. it worked beautifully the 1st set of blocks... some problems with the 2nd set, but the 3rd was the killer. Must have wasted 7 sheets of that paper till I got 4 pages that were the same. I had to print them one at a time. (Caution when you do this... my book never moved in the printer but each time I copied... 3 of them came out different.. so be sure to check them all against each other. )

I do have Carol Doak's foundation paper.... maybe I'll open that package for the next block. If that jams up, I'm going to use regular copy paper. I have a ton of that... I bring scrap pages home from work by the box full.

I have to laugh... "With computers we will be a paperless society." Yeah Right... I think we use more paper now than we ever did. I have to print reports every day.... Each report spits out 6 pages of useless information sheets. These are the pages I bring home and use to print out bill receipts on. So.. looks like I'll be using that for my paper piecing from now on if the Carol Doak paper jams up in my printer too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Everyone ready for tomorrows reveal? Color, color, color, yes I too think that is the hardest part but no ripping for me because of color. I am living with whatever it turns out to be. Everyone's blocks are just wonderful.
    I'm ready to see all the beautiful blocks. I still have to take a pic of mine. Haven't even looked at fabrics for Arkansas yet. Managed to get a top ready for the longarm while at Quilts of Valor meeting today. It's one of those jelly roll quilts. Goes together well.

About how long is it taking to paper piece each block. I don't paper piece often and I am very slow at it. I have worked 4 to 5 hrs before trying to complete blocks. I watched Carol D. CDROM and it helped me a little. I've had the book for a couple of years, but seem to hate pp. I may try 1 block and see how it goes.

It is early Sunday morning in Mid-Missouri. Here is my Arizona block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TOOMANYUFO'S View Post
    About how long is it taking to paper piece each block. I don't paper piece often and I am very slow at it. I have worked 4 to 5 hrs before trying to complete blocks. I watched Carol D. CDROM and it helped me a little. I've had the book for a couple of years, but seem to hate pp. I may try 1 block and see how it goes.
    You can put one together in an afternoon...The part I don't like is picking out the fabric..It takes me forever and sometimes I just have to leave and come back to it..Mine is going to be VERY scrappy..Once I finally decide on something it's smooth sailing from there.
    Patrice

Blog Entries
    Arizona..could of had a little more contrast.
    Patrice

It is time consuming. But not hard. I am new to it and I am also slow. But speed is not important to me at this point. It is fun and the blocks come out so perfect and neat. I am having a blast with this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by iwillquilt View Post
    Very nice!!!! Don't you love that bit of yellow!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22 View Post
    Arizona..could of had a little more contrast.
    I like your block. They don't all have to have a lot of contrast.

Blog Entries
    I was once just where you are. Took me forever; hated it. But I kept on and I really like her paper piecing method. It is very easy. Now I do like paper piecing; especially when you know how big to cut the pieces. Here is my ArizonaName:  Arizona.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  918.9 KB
    Last edited by tomilu; 01-15-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: add picture

Those are both so pretty. I'm on a little road trip to Florida. But I promise to catch up when I get home.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Beautiful blocks before me guys. Just going on 6 AM here. Here is my Arizona and it could also have used more contrast.

Wow ladies, are you all up at the crack of dawn or what? Of course, you are not all on Pacific time, I get it, but still, early birds over here!!

Love the blocks and I agree they don't all need high contrast to be beautiful. The difference in value really shows you how many variations there are when choosing fabrics. I am still working on Alaska and hope to have mine finished and posted later today - I even let my husband sleep in this morning so I could negotiate some quilting time!

Great work can't wait to see more!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Quote Originally Posted by iwillquilt View Post
    Very pretty, good contrast!

Oh no, Florence, it is beautiful. Love it. And still love your focus fabric. Saw it at Joanns the other day, almost bought it but had promised myself I wouldn't buy anything this year unless I had a definate need for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by PokerDiva View Post
    Beautiful blocks before me guys. Just going on 6 AM here. Here is my Arizona and it could also have used more contrast.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Wow, I'm really liking the colors this morning. Iwillquilt, the pinks are very pretty. Wvhill, the paisley make a very subtle star with the white diamonds. Tomilu, the small print lets the pattern really show. Pokerdiva, I LOVE that print that you've used on all of them so far. Great stars!

Judy, promises are made to be broken. Especially(sp) when it comes to buying fabric. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Oh no, Florence, it is beautiful. Love it. And still love your focus fabric. Saw it at Joanns the other day, almost bought it but had promised myself I wouldn't buy anything this year unless I had a definate need for it!

Boy, did I have problems this morning logging in. What's up with that? Everyone's stars so far are wonderful. I'm getting ready to put piece #4 on mine.... It's a long haul, but I really like paper piecing. (Never done it before) It it time consuming, but the end result is worth it. I had a heck of a time getting the first 2 pieces on. OMG my seam ripped got lots of use last night. I'm thinking... one day I may make a whole quilt of Alaska... I really like that one so far. It's the one with 104 pieces... Yikes!!!

Blog Entries
    I love the blocks that have been posted. Name:  Arkansas.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  199.9 KB
    I have to say that this week's block, while easier to PP, was more difficult to pick fabrics. I agree that the most challenge is picking colors. I'm not thrilled with mine this week, but am trying to work in the blue/greens with my blues and tans for the beach theme. Here is it anyway.
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    They are all so pretty. I am going to my sewing room to work right now.

Arizona

Told DH that there's a little bit of pink in honor the that Arizona sheriff that makes the inmates wear pink so everyone knows they're prisioners!! Had to go to church and now home to work. Here's mine
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Forgot to comment on all the other blocks that are posted already. Gorgeous colors and contrasts. Way to go ladies. They are inspiring. Keep up the good work.
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Too funny!!!
    But I have no problem with his practices!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanogay View Post
    Told DH that there's a little bit of pink in honor the that Arizona sheriff that makes the inmates wear pink so everyone knows they're prisioners!! Had to go to church and now home to work. Here's mine
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Page 21 of 111 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 71 ... LastLast