Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 20 of 111 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 70 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    Sounds like a fun trip. Today I'm going out looking for the snowy owl which has been seen in numbers in our area and which is very unusual.
    Whitepine, saw a You TUbe today on the Snowy Owl migration into Washington. Quite a magnificant bird. And for the hooded crane, we didn't get out. The weather turned nasty and last year when we went in the rain, saw nothing at all at the reserve, so we're going next Wednesday instead. Perhaps the crane will still be there - my life list will miss it if not!
    Kathleen

Live today as if it may be your last, for who knows...

Here is my Alaska Star. I finally got the book, which I find very handy for the cutting charts. I have been using Foundation Factory to print the patterns.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is my Alaska Star. I finally got the book, which I found handy for the cutting charts. I have been using Foundation Factory to print the patterns.

Blog Entries
    We have thousands of Canada geese that winter here. Huge flocks graze near ponds and rivers. The locals feed them corn as well. There are some that stay here all year long. One in particular has mated with a duck and produced the ugliest gooduck you ever saw. It is against the law to shoot them, thank goodness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickylsf View Post
    Here is my Alaska Star. I finally got the book, which I found handy for the cutting charts. I have been using Foundation Factory to print the patterns.
    LOVE your star, Nicky!!!

Nicky, you star just pops. Keep up the good work.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty block Nicky!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Great colors Nicky!

Vanogay, thanks for the hint to go to youtube for snowy owl invasion film.

Janet My, Thanks! I tried all those things and more. Also tried changing my settings but that didn't work either.

[QUOTE=PokerDiva;4864293]All I can say is join the crowd, don't stress, and just plod along. You can do it. How would you ever decide which to give up?

Thanks PDiva, and that is my life, to many good things to choose from to do and I can't give them up. I do have my pieces cut for Alaska. Not sure when I will get to sew it. I started back to college this month too. Finishing up that degree! But I don't want all these UFO's laying around, so I need to decide something....

Thank you for posting about the question on Just Takes 2 Quilt-Along! Yes, I got the name wrong in my comment, shows how scattered my brain is.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Nicky your block is lovely - the colors you chose really have some wow factor. Great work!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Blog Entries
    Yay! I just got my book; can't wait to get started. Thought I wanted a color scheme, but her examples show how pretty it would be scrappy. What to do????

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=SheriR;4870628][QUOTE=PokerDiva;4864293]All I can say is join the crowd, don't stress, and just plod along. You can do it. How would you ever decide which to give up?

Sheri, all you can do is all you can do. Don't get yourself in a wad over stuff.
    Mia's scarf is just so cute on her.
    I am knitting a petal dishcloth; it's very different but should be interesting to do.

Finally done with Alaska.. I really like the looks of this star.

I looked at fabric tonight for Arizona... Not sure what I'm going to do with the colors for that one. I may just wait to see what those of you who are already done with it post pictures.

I'm finding the hardest part of these stars is picking the colors. LOL

Janet your block came out really well - I like the high contrast. Very pretty! I agree with you, picking the colors is sometimes the hard part for me too. I keep meaning to pick up a pack of colored pencils so I can play with color ideas on the blocks. Great work!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Thanks Sheila.... I'm not really good with the colors so I went very conservative. Now the next block... I'm really at a loss... the color she uses in the book just don't do anything for me... Going to have to think about it.

Blog Entries
    very pretty janet..I can't wait for tomorrow!..It's so exciting...like christmas every sunday..lol...getting to see the next state..So happy I am here.
    Patrice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Janet My View Post
    Finally done with Alaska.. I really like the looks of this star.

I looked at fabric tonight for Arizona... Not sure what I'm going to do with the colors for that one. I may just wait to see what those of you who are already done with it post pictures.

I'm finding the hardest part of these stars is picking the colors. LOL
    I spend a lot of time selecting the colors for a block. You did a great job on this block.

Blog Entries
    Janet, your block is beautiful!
    Ronda

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
    Yay! I just got my book; can't wait to get started. Thought I wanted a color scheme, but her examples show how pretty it would be scrappy. What to do????
    I agree, What to do? A lot of the other comments here tell you that the hardest part is picking colors. Some are using solids, some are scrappy, some are using the same background to give some order to chaos. On Arizona I ripped out all the centers because they ended up with not enouh contrast and didn't show up at all. I figure that by the end of this I will have learned a lot about how to pick colors (hopefully ).

Everyone ready for tomorrows reveal? Color, color, color, yes I too think that is the hardest part but no ripping for me because of color. I am living with whatever it turns out to be. Everyone's blocks are just wonderful.

Blog Entries
    I just fell in love with Nicky's block and then I got to Janet's------sort of like a fickle lover, I guess,---each one has its special attraction. My book is separated and my intentions are great, but no movement yet. You all are incentives and I will make them, but guess it will be in my own time, not the calendars. In the meantime I will continue to drool over everyone's accomplishments.

Thank you Tomilu, Patrice, Ronda and Polly. Polly...come on.... get going... I want to see yours too! I really like these stars and await seeing everyone post the next one. My DH helped me pick out colors for Arizona this morning because I just couldn't decide. He only made me change 2 colors. I hope that does the trick because I really don't like the sample picture in the book. I don't know what it is that makes me feel that way... but everyone is different. OK... enough talking... Got to get that fabric ironed and ready for cutting.
    Last edited by Janet My; 01-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.

What paper is everyone else using to print their blocks out on??? I have foundation paper and the 1st block I printed out on my printed just flew through the printer without a problem. I had problems with the 2nd block, but was able to get it done. Now.. for the 3rd block I can't get it to go through without jamming. This paper is too expensive to waste like I'm doing. I have another package of the paper so I may try that.

Just curious what settings everyone else uses on their printers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Janet My View Post
    What paper is everyone else using to print their blocks out on??? I have foundation paper and the 1st block I printed out on my printed just flew through the printer without a problem. I had problems with the 2nd block, but was able to get it done. Now.. for the 3rd block I can't get it to go through without jamming. This paper is too expensive to waste like I'm doing. I have another package of the paper so I may try that.

Just curious what settings everyone else uses on their printers.

Thanks

I'm just using scrap paper from my shred box. It works great. Especially if I remember to make my stitch length shorter.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

I use regular copy paper, use a#14 needle, and teeny tiny stitches, and it really isn't hard to get out. I have foundation paper, and I don't really care for it. Especially if I ever make a mistake and have to rip out the stitches. Oh heavens I never do that. Yeah right. I love my ripper, I love my ripper......LOL
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Page 20 of 111 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 70 ... LastLast