Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 30 of 111 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 80 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

I'll see how I go at 6". Alabama might be the first and last.

A question for those who have the book. Does she give a pic of the completed block or just the section as in the download patterns?

Quote Originally Posted by sue z q View Post
    I appreciate all the answers to my question. I think I'll cut by the book, but maybe round up to the nearest inch. On my first attempt (Alabama) I thought mine were a little scant. Where are my blocks you ask....oh, I'm behind. None completed so far.
    suezq my first block pieces seemed scant to me too. It was my first attempt though so I may gave been placing them wonky. My second block I cut everything 1/4" bigger and for me it's working better. I just have a tad more to trim off.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Quote Originally Posted by Deecee View Post
    A question for those who have the book. Does she give a pic of the completed block or just the section as in the download patterns?
    She does show each whole block. It's very helpful to me.
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Thanks Sheri.

Deecee, if you just look at this thread you will have pictures to go by unless you are working on stars that have not been posted yet. The only thing you wouldn't have that the book gives is the measurements for each star for the pieces to be cut - which is very helpful to me.

Blog Entries
    These blocks are so pretty! I love seeing all the different color combinations we're coming up with! I am continuing with my beach theme... so here's my Arkansas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ronda

For each block she also shows a picture of 4 of the same blocks sewn together. One of my favorite parts of quilting is seeing the secondary patterns of blocks sewn together. Some of the patterns created when she shows 4 of the blocks together are really terrific.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by sandy l View Post
    Here's my Arkansas block. Wasn't sure about it after I got started, but now that its done I like it.Attachment 305840
    Love the red and black theme. All of the blocks are so pretty - so many different variations!

I agree. I made a 4-block Hawaii that I posted a couple weeks ago. The secondary pattern was as pretty as the block pattern.
    Quote Originally Posted by caquiltingdeb View Post
    For each block she also shows a picture of 4 of the same blocks sewn together. One of my favorite parts of quilting is seeing the secondary patterns of blocks sewn together. Some of the patterns created when she shows 4 of the blocks together are really terrific.

Deb
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Okay, I think I am going to like paper piecing! I have made 1/4th of my Delaware star. I noticed that somehow I managed to nick off the edge of a piece though. Can't figure how I did that, but it is a straight cut across. I am thinking that it might be within the 1/4 inch though, so that that section is salvageable by the time I join the pieces together for the whole block? If not, I do have a few ideas floating around as to how to fix it (that do not involve taking apart the block). I am using scraps of fabric, so do not have enough to redo it, and I have all of the pieces cut for the rest of the block, so would like to salvage if I can. I have attached a picture (paper is curling a bit, it is rainy here - which is why the one piece looks wonky/curling).Name:  Delaware Star.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  879.4 KB

Been there, done that ... way too many times LOL

I take a little scrap of the fabric and attach it with Liquid stitch. Trim when dry. You don't even know it is there. If you hope tha the 1/4" will cover it, it will still be skimpy at the center and might pull out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    Okay, I think I am going to like paper piecing! I have made 1/4th of my Delaware star. I noticed that somehow I managed to nick off the edge of a piece though. Can't figure how I did that, but it is a straight cut across. I am thinking that it might be within the 1/4 inch though, so that that section is salvageable by the time I join the pieces together for the whole block? If not, I do have a few ideas floating around as to how to fix it (that do not involve taking apart the block). I am using scraps of fabric, so do not have enough to redo it, and I have all of the pieces cut for the rest of the block, so would like to salvage if I can. I have attached a picture (paper is curling a bit, it is rainy here - which is why the one piece looks wonky/curling).Name:  Delaware Star.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Been there, done that ... way too many times LOL

I take a little scrap of the fabric and attach it with Liquid stitch. Trim when dry. You don't even know it is there. If you hope tha the 1/4" will cover it, it will still be skimpy at the center and might pull out.
    Yes, I was worried about that (the center pulling out because it is too skimpy). That was my thought - to attach a small piece of fabric. Have never used Liquid stitch before, though have heard of it. Think I will be purchasing a small bottle of this!!

Thanks for the info regarding the book everyone. I confess to being a bookaholic and would also like to see the full block and block x 4 without cut and pasting it up on my computer or waiting for pics to be posted.

Might have to browse my on-line book shop.

Blog Entries
    Hi ladies.
    Here is my Alabama - I have done this as a 6" finished which was pretty fiddly but I shall see how I go at this size.Attachment 305905
    Very pretty!!! I am glad I'm doing the big blocks. My Farmers Wife blocks are 6", so that is enough of that size for a while.

I did the same thing to my first block and I left it alone. When I put the quarters together, I had no trouble - all it ended up doing was reducing a bit of bulk in the seam and the 1/4 inch seam allowance covered it.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnFurlong View Post
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Nice block rw... I think your beach theme will be beautiful. Maybe we should all post pictures of the 4 blocks we have completed so far.... to help those who may have just joined us. What do you all think about that?

Sounds like fun - here are my first four blocks. They will be sashed with a brown batik.

Ihave decided I will post my months blocks once a month - after I finish the last one for the month. LOL One more for January!!!!!
    Fabaddict

Blog Entries
    rwquilts. Love the "water fabric" in your beach theme. At least that's what the background reminds me of.

Dawn, I don't think that is even going to show by the time you take 1/4" down each side. Glad to hear about liquid stitch though. Maybe I'll get some to have on hand.

Deecee, Do you have Walmarts in Australia? (Dumb question?? Actually, I hope you don't.) I ordered from them online and it was sent to the store with free postage.

JanetMy, I would like seeing them together to get an idea of people's color patterns.

Blog Entries
    Very pretty Judy.
    My plan is to not use sashing and stagger the row. But I reserve the right to change my mind after seeing others.Name:  First 4 again.png
Views: 233
Size:  833.2 KB

HMMMMM .. another great idea. This way they look like they are floating ... in the sky? Maybe try putting them on point, with the setting triangles to fill space in the blue if it is a constant? In fact the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of setting them on point, with or without sashing.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 01-25-2012 at 05:32 PM.

Love the look of both groups of four - very pretty colours.

Whitepine we don't have a Walmarts but I have found the book on an Aussie book site that has free shipping at the moment (from a U.K. supplier) so have ordered it.

I was going to suggest posting all blocks at the end of each month but I see someone has beat me to it. They look beautiful together you guys. I will post mine on Sunday. I have yet to decide how I will put them together. I think I have a long time to think about it.

I'll post mine on Sunday too. All I know so far is I want the backgrounds to be in beige on beige and don't know if I'll put sashing in or what I'm going to do. To soon to figure that out.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries

4th block

Here is the fourth block hope you like it

Page 30 of 111 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 80 ... LastLast