Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 68 of 111 FirstFirst ... 18 58 67 68 69 78 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 2773

Thread: 50 Fab Paper-Pieced Stars

Whitepine, where do you get your newsprint paper? Does it come in 81/2" x 11".

And Woman, can't wait to see your stars with a border on it. I keep trying to figure out what I'd like to use, but figured I'd wait until I've finished all the blocks.
    "Impossible is an opinion, not a fact" Cameron Clapp

http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...47687D2C18.png

Blog Entries
    klgreene, I bought the newsprint at Walmart in the section for mailing/packing supplies. It's in big sheets that I have to cut so it's not really handy. Bu I think other people have mentioned finding it in tablets in the school supplies or arts & crafts section or someplace like that. The only problem I have is needing to feed it through my printer one at a time but that might just be my printer and others wouldn't have any problem.

Woman, can't wait to see your 50.

Blog Entries
    I did have problems with regular paper when I first started maybe I will try it again maybe with the knowledge I have gained it will work.

Blog Entries
    I use Ricky TIms paper piecing paper. It costs a little more but it doesn't have to be removed. I sort of turns to light batting when wet. The first quilt I ever made was the Oklahoma star from the book. I made 64 of them. I spent days ripping off the paper and swore I would never ever do it again. For small projects I use regular paper piecing paper and rip it off. I feel like regular paper would be awful hard to rip off. Just my opinion.
    I hope to get back to my stars next week.

I use That Patchwork Place pp paper and really like it but I love the idea of the newsprint for string piecing. I will have to check our Walmart for that.

Thanks everyone. I do have Carol Doak's paper and I use regular copy paper. Does anyone use vellum? A couple patterns I've ordered had the vellum but I do just fine with regular copy paper. But I thought newsprint would be really good if it came in 8 1/2 x 11 sheets.

Blog Entries
    I tried vellum because someone used it and liked it. Maybe I didn't get the right stuff, but it was expensive and didn't tear off any better than regular copy paper, maybe even worse. I didn't see any advantage at all, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by whitepine View Post
    I tried vellum because someone used it and liked it. Maybe I didn't get the right stuff, but it was expensive and didn't tear off any better than regular copy paper, maybe even worse. I didn't see any advantage at all, IMHO.
    That's what I thought too...I'll just stick to copy paper its the cheapest so far.

I use newsprint, it is much easier to remove after sewing on your fabric. The cheapest I 've found is at Hobby Lobby in the children's craft section, 100 sheets (9" x 12") for $1.99. I cut it to 8-1/2" x 11". Joann has it too but is more money, 60 sheets for $2.99.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Ok, so excited, just got my book. Should be a blast to get started now. I do need to finish the 30s log cabin I am doing so I will mix it up here. Which brand is the best for you ladies on the foundation paper?
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

I cleaned outmy "Paper products" I used to make invitations and wedding announcements, stuff like that. And at that time typing paper was 18# and about $2.00 a ream.... I found about a ream of it..... so I'll try using that and see if it's better than the 20#. I'll also check out Hobby Lobby. I already have two more stars run off, so I'll try it on something else in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    I use newsprint, it is much easier to remove after sewing on your fabric. The cheapest I 've found is at Hobby Lobby in the children's craft section, 100 sheets (9" x 12") for $1.99. I cut it to 8-1/2" x 11". Joann has it too but is more money, 60 sheets for $2.99.
    I primarily use the newsprint from Hobby Lobby too. Can't beat the price, especially if you have a coupon! I have Carol Doak's paper but don't see much of a difference between the two. I tried cheap copy paper but didn't care for it. I think it all depends on what you prefer to use.
    Patricia Faye

Blog Entries
    I use tracing paper. It's cheap. I have a paper cutter that I use to cut them down to 8 1/2 X 11 and run them through my printer one at a time
    Patrice

Quote Originally Posted by wvhill22 View Post
    I use tracing paper. It's cheap. I have a paper cutter that I use to cut them down to 8 1/2 X 11 and run them through my printer one at a time
    Where do you buy your tracing paper?
    Patricia Faye

Hello everyone! As speedy as I am, I was only able to complete one of the State Star blocks this week. I spent a lot of time working in my garden as well as finishing a Round Robin border for group I belong to, completing the next step on a mystery quilt & putting together my baby granddaughter's quilt. The border & baby quilt both look great too. So will try & get the baby quilt quilted & finish the rest of the State Star blocks this week so I can begin to put them together. So here is my Washington block (It was one of the simplest of the stars to complete.)

Name:  DSC00836.JPG
Views: 207
Size:  1.71 MB
    Patricia Faye

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Patricia Faye;5197048]Hello everyone! As speedy as I am, I was only able to complete one of the State Star blocks this week. I spent a lot of time working in my garden as well as finishing a Round Robin border for group I belong to, completing the next step on a mystery quilt & putting together my baby granddaughter's quilt. The border & baby quilt both look great too. So will try & get the baby quilt quilted & finish the rest of the State Star blocks this week so I can begin to put them together. So here is my Washington block (It was one of the simplest of the stars to complete.)QUOTE]

Pretty color coombo, Patricia! Haven't started this weeks's yet. Have to do a QOV on the longarm today after church.

Morning ladies. Maine was not my favorite. I made one, didn't like it, then made another. Don't like it either but here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Faye View Post
    Where do you buy your tracing paper?
    at michaels, walmart, my grocery store even has it
    Patrice

Blog Entries
    Poker I love both of them. Here is my Maine
    Patrice

Maine/Maryland

This is my block for the week. I have all 50 stars finished. I think I going use South Dakota to make a whole quilt. The center looks like a show flake. So I am going to work that into the theme.

Wvhill, I think you have a lot of my Kona fabric. Yours is so colorful I like it. It is starting to become a problem getting my focus fabric in every block. Wish I had chosen a different one.

Beautiful stars, everyone.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Judy, you have a new avatar. How pretty.

Blog Entries
    pokerdiva-i really like the second one- the first one is nice too- but the second one really 'pops'.
    i am enjoying looking at them today- i won't be able to do mine until late in the week - we are in Gettysburg, PA on vacation and i didn't get it done before we left like i had hoped to- those last few days before leaving were --- crazy busy---
    but i will catch up when we get home & in the mean time i will enjoy looking at all of yours- as usual they are all WOW blocks
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

nice choice of stars - love it .....

VW, Mona and Poker D, like the blocks. Poker I agree with CK - I like the second one. Great colors both of you!

I am still way back in the "C" states. Here is my much-belated Colorado. (Thank goodness it did not take me as long as California!

Name:  IMG_0713.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  125.3 KB
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

Page 68 of 111 FirstFirst ... 18 58 67 68 69 78 ... LastLast