Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

retiredteacher, yours are very organized. mine are a bit darker and more boring. was just looking
thru some of my fabs and need something interesting in this quilt. will wait till next week and see the next clue, maybe mediums!!!! now those are the interesting colors.
Vicki, like how you have consistency to yousr. mine are a mess of blah lights.

I must trust Judy that this will come out great.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:15 PM

Stop being hard on yourself. Yes, they tend to look boring but with colors coming and the dark 4 patch squares it will all workout well as usual. Thanks Judy....
Old 01-18-2015, 07:48 PM

I have been lurking, wishing I had waited for this mystery. I jumped into BH GI for my first mystery and I can tell you right now that I will never do a quilt with 2800 pieces, 2 1/2 "squares again. I am finishing it but slowly.
I don't know if I have enough scraps to go totally scrapy. The last time we moved, we had to downsize DH said my bags of scraps had to go...sob. Now I really need them!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:16 PM
Power Poster

Here are a few of my 4 patches and my triangles. I had all my triangles sewed when I read it did not matter which side was light and which was medium. Thank God. lol
Attached Thumbnails dsc02939.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 09:48 PM

Decided to jump in! Love the idea of scrappy. I see many friends here - Hi, Lynnie! Hi, Mary! Hi, Karen! And all the rest of you, too! So.......Do you think these are ok?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 10:11 PM

PeginCO: They are beautiful--great fabrics!
Old 01-18-2015, 10:36 PM
Power Poster

Peg those are nice fabrics.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:26 AM

Everybody's looks great!

I'm working on my crumb-pieced triangles for the first quilt (I'm making two) right now. They're sewed. I just need to hit 'em with the iron. Then, onto the second set of triangles, which will also be at least partly crumb-pieced. It'll probably be late this evening or early tomorrow morning before I get the second set done. Glad to be getting some of my teenier scraps out of the way.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by moonrise View Post
Everybody's looks great!

I'm working on my crumb-pieced triangles for the first quilt (I'm making two) right now. They're sewed. I just need to hit 'em with the iron. Then, onto the second set of triangles, which will also be at least partly crumb-pieced. It'll probably be late this evening or early tomorrow morning before I get the second set done. Glad to be getting some of my teenier scraps out of the way.
I'm in awe with your pieces of crumb pieces!!! And love everybody chooses but I think I'll use only 2 or 3 light fabrics to control the scrappy look.

Last edited by tron80; 01-19-2015 at 12:50 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by tron80 View Post
I'm in awe with your pieces of crumb pieces!!! And love everybody chooses but I think I'll use only 2 or 3 light fabrics to control the scrappy look.
Thanks! My stash has dwindled down so low that I don't have much yardage at the moment, so this swap has worked out well for using up my scraps. Some unexpected dental bills last year, home repair bills, and bottle-raising a "surprise" newborn kitten that turned up literally beside our doorstep kind of messed up our play money, but I'll re-stock my stash soon.

Here are some photos of Quilt #1's pieces so far. My triangles are a little oversized, in case of "operator error". I always cut them a smidge too big anyway. I'll wait and see what the next step is before trimming them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506747[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506748[/ATTACH]

And here's the blocks they go with:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506749[/ATTACH]

Here's the kitten at 2 days old, in my husband's hand. He still had his umbilical cord and wasn't much bigger than a roll of quarters. His mom (apparently a stray) either abandoned him or something happened to her. The kitten was behind the bushes beside our front porch, crying his little heart out. Luckily I heard him. I watched through the window, and waited for hours, but the mom never showed back up. Hubby was at work, so, with great difficulty (I have a bad knee and use a wheelchair part of the time), I managed to climb in behind the bushes and retrieve him. Hubby checked as soon as he got home, but there was no sign of any other kittens. He's almost 6 months old now, and is doing great. Strong as an ox! (Pardon Hubby's lack-of-shirt. )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506750[/ATTACH]

Pic from December. Look at the size of that paw!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506751[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg   002.jpg   001-horz.jpg   kitten3.jpg   002.jpg