Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 AM
Power Poster

hi Peg~~~~
what a lucky, wonderful kitten!!
jolo so sorry about the quilts. who in the world woud take them.
maybe as someone else said, maybe they are going to a show or photographer as a surprise.
I hope you find out soon what's up with that.

isn't judy just stupendous!! she is so creative and is leading us all down her quilter road to success in this mystery train. can't wait for Saturday. we need to get rid of these days in the middle somehow. it's sad but true, we're half way thru this ride. can't wait for Saturday.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:58 AM

Default More scraps

While waiting for the clue & chatting w Lynnie, I sewed up more blocks. Lynnie calls this "making fabric".
Victoria Findlay Wolfe uses this technique in many of her award-winning quilts. She suggests you warm up to sew every day w 15 mins of scrap play. I really love the scraps from my buddies in my Bee. I cut these 6.5" square. Will do 12. I used to tell my students "Art accepts
many answers." Will make some HSTs for steps 3 & 4. Try some, Lynnie!!
Attached Thumbnails scraps-mq-8-3.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by jolo View Post
I dont know where to post this so here goes.I went to the closet where I store my quilts and knock me over with a feather. ALL but 2 or 3 small throws were GONE!!! I have been making quilts for so many years it is embarassing(lol) and my closet was shelves from floor to ceiling,so many quilts in it that not one more could be stuffed into it. And now I can count with the 2 beds that I have quilts on and some in my roon I now have only 7 quilts. A lifetime of work and love gone!!! I have been crying all weekend and now am so angry at some unknown person I have to pray for forgiveness.Who could hate me so much or I keep saying:Self they dont hate you so much as they love your skill.Doesnt help much tho.
If you haven't already done so, make a police report and list everyone who has access to your home, since apparently there was no evidence of a break-in. For so much to be stolen, it had to be done while you were away or asleep. If the police are reluctant to take a report on this, be sure to tell them the retail cost of your quilts -- between $250 - $1000. each depending on complexity. That should get their attention.

And call your insurance company to report the theft, even if you are not sure when it took place.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM

Clue 2 done. Not pressing till I see where they go.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Jolo,
My heart breaks for you. Can you contact the local tv station? That many quilts should show up somewhere.
This is certainly a human interest story.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm View Post
While waiting for the clue & chatting w Lynnie, I sewed up more blocks. Lynnie calls this "making fabric".
Victoria Findlay Wolfe uses this technique in many of her award-winning quilts. She suggests you warm up to sew every day w 15 mins of scrap play. I really love the scraps from my buddies in my Bee. I cut these 6.5" square. Will do 12. I used to tell my students "Art accepts
many answers." Will make some HSTs for steps 3 & 4. Try some, Lynnie!!
You inspire us all, Dottie <- about the making of art fabric

also I second the motion about letting people know about this .... theft.....even as I pray that this was someones surprise gone awry ...... once a friend thought his prize rifle was stolen and it turned out his wife was having some wood carving and engraving done on it as a b'day surprise.

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 01-19-2015 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:14 PM

Here is my clue 2. Haha didn't follow correctly until I read more posts and realized I made hst's. and then realized I was making them light on either side, went back to look at picture for clue and had to make more with light on the left THEN I read the post that said they could be mixed either way. Oh well, I have more orphan blocks for another quilt. [ATTACH=CONFIG]506820[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails mystery-8-clue-2.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 01:21 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506821[/ATTACH]These are my untrimmed but put together triangles. They are in stacks of 10. My sewing room looks like well...pandemonium!! Cold is going away, AngelinaRN, you're right about classrooms being petri dishes. Waiting till Saturday. Anyone for a game of chicken foot while we wait?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

oooh, I like games, what's "chickenfoot" never heard ofit.

it's got to be an inside job. who would know to steal quilts?
maybe you're getting a cedar chest, or closet..
this is a real mystery on the mystery train.

Dotty, I love the 'made fabric' that you used. great idea!
Old 01-19-2015, 01:40 PM

Jolo, it seems to me if you didn't know your house had been broken into or nothing else was taken then it was someone you know and knew you had those quilts in that closet. Have you shown anyone recently that closet?