Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

M-fay love the quote. Everyone is worried about their scraps. They all look wonderful That's what is great about scrappy. Ok I was a teen in the sixties in San Francisco,Cal. Remember the big hair and Cher type black eyeliner.LOL. I also had the med blue one piece gym suit like shown in the picture,except it also had elastic in the legs not just the waist. I had to embroider my name on the left chest pocket and also on the stupid white bobby socks. Also had to write my name on my white tennis shoes. Like someone is going to steel that ugly stuff.LOL It was awful to play ball and get sweaty then have to shower with 30 other girls and try to fix your hair out to there and put make-up back on for the next class. I remember when pantyhose finally were made. No more seams on the backs of stockings and no more garter belts. Now guys love them.They probably liked them back then too but they didn't have to wear them.This was before you could wear pants or long skirts to school.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilt addict View Post
I had the same suit in junior high. I hated them.
Me too, I was so glad when I got to high school and we wore navy blue shorts and white blouses. My junior high gym suit also had the elastic in the legs.

I loved PE also Honchey, I was very athletic!

Last edited by JeanieG; 01-21-2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM

Had to share in the walk down memory lane. We didn't have to wear the one piece, thank goodness. I have a very long body and I know from my experiences with one piece bathing suits what that feels like. We had two piece snap front outfits. They came in maroon, blue and the sickest yellow (looked like it had been washed with something black). Guess what color I had? They were assigned by year in school, so I wore that color for six years. They had elastic bloomer legs that were supposed to tuck under the leg hem. The progression through the six years was really funny. Most of us wore the same set for all the years. Usually started out in 7th grade being shapeless and oversized, needless to say by 12th grade they were anything but oversized. What started out being modest, by graduation was anything but.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
I'm still hunting for lights ..I like the layouts pictured...

My gym suit was called a romper..the same blue shown here..I wore the same suit for 6 years!..I finally filled it out by the time graduation came around and we did have a pool..I was very active in sports & gymnastics and got letters for it...DH & DS were always touting about the sports they played and would say to me "what do you know about it"? until I took out my letters. they never asked again.. Gym was my favorite time of day.
Good for you, Girl!!!!
Old 01-21-2015, 11:20 AM

Why is it only Wednesday.................grrrrr.................. . Guess what ! We are going to "Road to California" on Friday.....My DD gave me wristband/tickets for the whole weekend for Christmas and now the weekend is almost here....She is driving and we have room reservations at the hotel that is right next to the convention center, so we can walk over, and back for a real lunch (not convention center food) and back again for more quilt displays and longarm machines and fabric.............sigh.......only thing is Saturday morning I will not have my computer so I hope the hotel has a computer room....or my DD brings her I-thingy..... I have all the Clue#1 and #2 waiting to be joined by #3 but they will have to wait till late Sunday or early Monday! If DD has the I-thingy we will try to send pictures.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Honchey View Post
I'm still hunting for lights ..I like the layouts pictured...

My gym suit was called a romper..the same blue shown here..I wore the same suit for 6 years!..I finally filled it out by the time graduation came around and we did have a pool..I was very active in sports & gymnastics and got letters for it...DH & DS were always touting about the sports they played and would say to me "what do you know about it"? until I took out my letters. they never asked again.. Gym was my favorite time of day.
Good for you Honchey.
Now FB's not a big deal with me...but love Cyclone BB.. My Baseball player GS still can not fathom Gma getting into a catcher's position let alone throw a softball across to second.
No HS girls athletics in my home state it so we played on town leagues. Guess my school was a little more progressive white button up shirts and red shorts. Red always had to be washed separate or everything was pink....
Old 01-21-2015, 12:16 PM

Sunlitensmiles, What a great Christmas gift from your DD! enjoy every minute of it. Hopefully you can show us some photos.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:42 PM

I am done with clues #1 and #2. Did not trim dogears yet. Glad I caught this train, but quite a few calories in the dining car. I brought some iced tea if you are interested. Waiting sort of patiently for Saturday.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lawsonmugs View Post
M-fay love the quote. Everyone is worried about their scraps. They all look wonderful That's what is great about scrappy. Ok I was a teen in the sixties in San Francisco,Cal. Remember the big hair and Cher type black eyeliner.LOL. I also had the med blue one piece gym suit like shown in the picture,except it also had elastic in the legs not just the waist. I had to embroider my name on the left chest pocket and also on the stupid white bobby socks. Also had to write my name on my white tennis shoes. Like someone is going to steel that ugly stuff.LOL It was awful to play ball and get sweaty then have to shower with 30 other girls and try to fix your hair out to there and put make-up back on for the next class. I remember when pantyhose finally were made. No more seams on the backs of stockings and no more garter belts. Now guys love them.They probably liked them back then too but they didn't have to wear them.This was before you could wear pants or long skirts to school.
Mary you hit it right on with the type of gym suit. Mine was like that too with elastic in the legs of the medium blue snap up suits. We had to have our names on them too. I thought that was funny. I was living in Chicago during those years.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Amazing what a common thread those gym suits were. I already described mine and can only be thankful that we didn't have the elastic legs. OMG. They would have hit right at the fattest part of my leg. I guess thing can always be worse.

Yep, waiting for Saturday, which is also Visit Your Local Quilt Store Day, and mine is having a sale of 25% off everything. Guess I'd better go look. Here's clue #2.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]507090[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1200056%25%25.jpg