Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious! >

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

#8 mystery quilt train ride - it's scrap-alicious!

Old 02-02-2015, 08:14 PM

I fell behind due to having to quilt several baby quilts for my craftbooth for the show in 2 weeks...I hope to catch up but can't promise I can before the next ride...I will still do it; always up for using scraps! I still haven't been able to work on #7 anymore, but will work on it & my granddaughter's 2 quilts (#3 mysterytrain & a UFO she never got done) for her graduation in June. Can't work on any of the 3 in May, cuz I will be out of state! So, March & April will be busy; also still working on another mystery & a BOM...You all know where I can be found...the sewing room round the clock!!! I love the finishes; going to steal a couple of the ideas from them for the finish on #8. Just gotta see what I have to work with...
Old 02-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

will be done by Tuesday next, I go to my bee and will have Jeanne take
some photos for me. she's a saint at that. So now I have a deadline.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:52 PM

All these great looking quilts and variations....still can't decide what to use for sashing, scrappy or consistent, I like both, but definitely yellow stars for mine.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:34 AM
Power Poster

What I like about this scrappy is that a person can make many versions of it, and they will all be beautiful. Endless possibilities.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:54 AM

All the quilts are just lovely! This mystery ride has been so enjoyable!! Thank you so much , Judy!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 AM

Okay, I got my yellow/black/pink/green top finished, and will try to get a photo as soon as the sun comes up.

I'm thinking my blue/cream/red top will look better without the sashing between the blocks since it has a lot of movement, and the sashing would break that up. Maybe I can put some stars around the exterior instead. Hmmm.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:58 AM

I love all the versions that are posting!!! Scrappy or consistent or one-color sashing, light stars, dark stars....all wonderful!! When I have been working on these blocks, my focus has been on the center four-patch, yet when all put together with sashing and stars, my focus is on the stars and the surrounding large tri/s. So fun to look at!

I'm still deciding on sashing fabrics and star colors. A little behind, due to child care and Super Bowl over the weekend. No worries, though, cause hubby is out all day tomorrow and I am heading to the sewing room for the day. Hooray!

To catch up on some comments, I would love to do another scrappy. Maybe I will be able to be much scrappier than the ones I am making. So more practice will be welcome.

And re: using fabric that I love in my stash: I look at my fabrics as ingredients in my pantry. They are there, on hand, to make wonderful creations. For me, better to use what is on hand, for a project underway, than a "someday"project that may never materialize. That way I get to enjoy the fabrics in a finished project, rather than folded up on a shelf. JMHO. Sew On!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 AM

I need many scrappies to use a part of my scraps. I have a huge laundry basket over loaded with small scraps,plus a long plastic bin with larger scraps. That is just scraps not to mentsion yardage. My sewing room resembles a fabric shop.!!!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:23 AM

Wow, glad my ingredients... er...fabrics do not have an expiration date. This is something to really think about, I am not much for saving dark chocolate for a special recipe, and as youngster once told me "bet the cloth is happier in a quilt than squashed in a box". So.... I vow to make as much stash as happy as I can!
Old 02-03-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Siodach View Post
I hope you are wearing good shoes, cos here's some more toe-stepping

I'm making my final star-border wider than 2.5 inches, so that I

1) don't have to put on a further border, and
2) don't risk chopping the star points with my binding cos I didn't put on a further border!

Laziness wins out again lol.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508508[/ATTACH]

Doing it this way means I have a spare inch of border past the star points to attach my binding to
I had not thought that far ahead to the binding. Great idea. Thanks for posting. I would like to try your idea.