Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
#9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps? >

#9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps?

#9 Mystery Quilt Train Ride - Who's got scraps?

Old 03-21-2015, 05:18 AM

Wow, Vicki M - those are outstanding. wouldn't know your MQ9 was the same pattern, I like your variation.

And on a good note, a lady from church called me Wednesday and wanted to know if I wanted a quilting machine, she said it only had a 6" throat. I was confused until she said we would need a trailer to move it as it is 12' long. Then it dawns on me, she is talking about a long arm. Wow, she is donating it to the church for our quilting group. She bought a new one, as this one doesn't have an automatic threader. It's an oldie, 1976, she and her mother bought it new, I think.
So now, I'm back in the piecing business. The others were not able to keep up with me on quilting (they told me to slow down) so we have about 10 tops to quilts, looks like we'll be getting some practice in right away. Good thing too, as the long arm guy I had been sending tops to passed away last week. He was close to 90.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:33 AM

Of all the mystery quilts I have done, I think this one has been the most interesting in the finishes. they are all so different, and I love the way many of you have put your own little spin on the pattern. These quilts have been absolutely beautiful.

Now, on another note -- I dreamed of the #10 MQ last night, and woke up this morning ready to post. I had my coffee, made sure I was wide awake, reread the directions to make sure they were all correct, and started to post the new mystery. All of a sudden it dawned on me I was on the wrong Saturday -- it is next week, not today. Oh well, I guess I have to wait another week for the fun to start.

I ended up making my#8 bigger -- added another row, and a border to put in the star points. I also took a pix of the quilting cause Lynnie usually asks what people do with their quilts. I Did simple free motion on the blocks, a tight meander on the stars and on the strips I put a double needle in the machine and did wavy lines across the strips. I know you can't see the strips but I like the way they turned out. So, here is my new enlarged and finished #8.
Attached Thumbnails img_1907.jpg   img_1909.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-21-2015 at 06:53 AM. Reason: sunlite caught me in a typo - #8 not #9 as originally posted.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:34 AM

I admit five mystery quilts are flimsys waiting to be quilted, (#3 is layered and pinned) of the other four, three are DarlingGreatGrandaughter Julia's and one is DarlingDaughterInLaw Susan's.

However, at Road to California I purchased a Flynn Frame and yesterday set it up (had to finish up some projects so I could clear table and dedicate the 301A to free motion) practiced, and practiced a lot more, so by this evening I expect to have at least one more mystery quilted AND by the 28th, everything quilted... then my favorite part, binding!
Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 AM

very funny Paint Me Judy....not even April 1st.....We know that is MTQR#8..... what a test of our memories this early on Saturday morning!

And what a tease you are....#10 is ready.....and we have to wait a whole week...how about a hint?

Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-21-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:51 AM

Sunlite, you want a hint .... hmmmm .... well, let's see: You can use any of the colors and their tints in the color wheel. You will need some background fabric. You can use your rotary cutter next week. How's that, enough of a hint?b
Old 03-21-2015, 06:56 AM

you are such a tease!!! we love your mysteries, so we will wait , patiently.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:22 AM

Cute Judy, teasing us like that. LOL I was just thinking prior to reading you entry. I only have one more week to finish #8 and #7, before my next project. I decided to enlarge both to fit my bed and it's taking longer to do that and complete a swap mug rug and 2 UFO's. I'm making progress on all projects.

To to answer a ? Asked earlier, I'm working on 2 of Judy's MQ as stated above. I consider them WIP, not UFO's. On both I only have to make the borders. But they have to wait their turn. Plus I have time to really think the final borders. #8 I have all the fabric cut out and I need to cut out the fabric for extra blocks for the border for #7. I will post when both tops are completed. I so want to get both of them completed. I started sewing on these mystery on #7. Over the next few years I will go back and make the other mysteries. Like most everyone here I really like all of the MQs and greatly appreciate all the hard work Judy puts into creating, organizing, and keep her secrets to her self (Until the big finish). Again Thank-you Judy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone ne have a great week and happy sewing and quilting.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:28 AM

I jumped on board with #2. Did all of them except the one that was a table runner. (just bad timing on that one) None of them are quilted except #3, which I donated to a teenager with cancer. The only top not done is #7 and it is just waiting on the shelf for me to come back to finish it.
I guess my definition of a UFO is different than yours, Emma. Once I get a top put together it is no longer a UFO IMHO. I could be wrong!
My niece is expecting a baby in May. I had planned to just give her one that didn't sell at the craft sale. Last night my DD told me she could tell me the sex of the baby if I was planning to make a cute quilt. The baby is a girl. Now I feel like I need to make her a quilt. All kinds of ideas are running through my head! Then my DD's baby is due in June.
Here's a little irony. My #9 was a good size for a baby quilt. I decided to double the size and have been working on that. That little quilt could have been used for my niece's baby! Oops!
Old 03-21-2015, 07:30 AM

You, and everyone on these mysteries, are more than welcome, and as I have said many times, I love doing them. Must be a bit of a sadistic bent in me that enjoys the pain I inflict! LOL

I love that happy lab calls them WIP and not UFO. My quilting guild I belong to has a yearly PUP Challenge. PUP as in Poor Unfinished Project. On a specific meeting date, you bring in 3 PUPs to show the members, who then vote on which one they want to see finished. You are expected to bring that PUP back to the meeting one year later. It really is fun, lots of laughs during the voting.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:37 AM

I have a really good reason for not Quilting the first Mystery yet.....really want to do it a certain way and the learning process is not far enough along...but almost.