Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 03-31-2011, 07:45 AM

okay what is the link to the finished blocks ?????
Originally Posted by luvmortherest
Originally Posted by lynnie k
Ok ladies I need help with block#14 I am making the smaller block and I have no idea on how to even attempt to make block 14 The little scrolls are kicking butt at my house.I have had no trouble with the other blocks on the list but I can't get the little scrolly things any help would be appreciated. I am doing the blocks by hand
if you go to where they are putting the pictures of the individual blocks and find block 14 Lesley put up pics of how she did this block.

hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:47 AM

Lynnie, is this what you are looking for?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-108527-1.htm

Ok ladies I need help with block#14 I am making the smaller block and I have no idea on how to even attempt to make block 14 The little scrolls are kicking butt at my house.I have had no trouble with the other blocks on the list but I can't get the little scrolly things any help would be appreciated. I am doing the blocks by hand
if you go to where they are putting the pictures of the individual blocks and find block 14 Lesley put up pics of how she did this block.

hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:50 AM

thanks for the info I will try this way. I tried to make the small piece from freezer paper but the inside of the scroll doesn't give me enough to turn under I will practice this scroll before I attempt to ruin the block. Hope this doesn't take me a lifetime to master thanks for your help I will let you know how I am doing with this block thanks again lynn
Originally Posted by Lacelady
sorry it is block #17 having a fit with this block
Anything in particular I can help with? i.e. if my pics don't make sense? At least with that particular scroll, you don't have to get it down right to a point, because it can tuck under the other shape that covers up the end.

Also, because you can't necessarily line it up exactly, don't snip right into the inside of the curl until you get there. Try cutting out the scroll from your paper copied design, putting it onto your fabric and tracing round it, then lining it up in place over the traced line on your background. I usually put a pin in the fatter part of the scroll (from the back so my thread doesn't catch on it) just to help hold it in place. Then I start from the base of the scroll. If you are a rightie, start at the bottom of the scroll that is heading in towards the inside of the curl. Start on the other (outer) side if you are a leftie.

I do find going round the outside edge of a scroll a little easier than beginning on the inside, but it all depends on which way the scroll is going, and which hand is dominant.

Either way, as you approach that inner point, just snip a little bit at a time until you get right to the change of direction. You will only have a few threads to tuck under, and will have to put several tiny stitches at that point to secure everything before you go down the last 'side' - hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 AM

thanks for the link it was very helpful I think I have the concept now will try to get this block out of the way Thanks for all the help ladies
Originally Posted by candi

hope that helps.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:01 AM

thanks for the link it was very helpful I think I have the concept now will try to get this block out of the way Thanks for all the help ladies
Originally Posted by candi

hope that helps.
that's what sisters are for
Old 04-01-2011, 07:25 AM

Is it too late to join you in this BOM?
How far behind will I be? I won't probably get the book for another week or so. did I see some of you talking that you are working on block #14?

I just ordered the book, therefore do not have any idea about what I will be doing, any assistance you can provide would be appreciated at this point.

I think I will be utilizing batiks on a royal blue background, and hand quilting is my choice at this date, not certain though.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:31 AM

D.Rickman - we haven't even started yet! You're right on time. The official start date is June, we just have some early birds who can't wait... :lol: There is a schedule you can download on page one of this thread.

I know we have some Connecting Threads fans in this cyber-sew, so I just wanted to let y'all know that I was just on their site, and they have a bunch of new beautiful batiks available. I bought a few to fill in some holes I have color-wise and I also got a great geometric/floral pink batik to be the inner border for my Baby Love quilt! I'm so excited - love Connecting Threads!
Old 04-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Hi Donna, Glad you could join us, thought I might persuade you when you saw this beautiful quilt. The start date is not officially June but some have jumped the gun and started.

Basically its your quilt and you can needleturn, machine applique whatever you fancy. there is a schedule on the first page of this thread which we will all be following. Each block has its own thread so Affairs of the Heart Block 9 is the first one on the schedule and from then on each block is on its own separate thread. Each block has help and tutorials on it to help you so just go to the bottom of this page and click on Topic List (I think) or BOM and it will bring this up with all the threads that are posted at the moment. Hope that helps you. If you need more help holler.

Elle
Old 04-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Elle & Obsessed - Thanks for the help already!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Info re bleach:

I have played with bleach to remove dye from some of my batik fabrics for both blocks 16 and 5, and I have been having discussions on my PDA about how I did it, and what I used. In one instance, I used domestic bleach that is available here in a gloopy thickened state but doesn't seem to be familiar to US quilters. We have now had Dishwasher Gel suggested as a suitable alternative.

I have also read up some more and it seems to be generally advised to use a product called Bleach Stop after washing the fabric. In Europe an alternative to that is Hydrogen Peroxide (3%) Both would neutralise the bleach.

The other product I used (on block 5) was a Bleach Pen - it isn't so easy to control because of the point on the pen (not particularly fine) but some interesting results can be obtained with a bit of experimentation.

Again, with the start date not being until June, you all have some time to play with these, but please take care when using them and follow instructions on the various products.