Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 04-01-2011, 02:48 PM

BREAKInG NEWS!!! I just bought my background fabric! A beautiful deep chocolate brown tone on tone, one of the LQS was fool for a sale, lol, and giving 25% off everything. So I got that and a couple of batiks in luscious autumn hues. I will share photos later. Meanwhile, I am discovering due to the short period I have been quilting/sewing, and my small stash, my quilt is not going to be as scrappy as Aie 's, and I just don't want to buy a lot and make it a million dollar quilt, lol. I really dislike buying precuts, so I bought half yard pieces of 6 batiks today, and I have some FQs of other batiks I can use, but I am going to shoot for a controlled scrappy here. Wish me luck :mrgreen:

Lesley, thanks for the tip about the bleach.

D. Rickman, we haven't started yet, jump in! I just bought my background fabric today and won't be starting until at least May...have things that I like to get done before I get involved with the AOTH. I am a one track quilter :mrgreen: I am making appliqué with invisible machine quilting, turning the edges under with heat rsistaant templates and starch, then Roxanne glue to glue it down and invisible hem stitch to secure it on. Ive only done this a couple of times on small quilts so hoping I can pull it off. And I am enlarging my blocks to 10".
Old 04-01-2011, 02:55 PM

Ok ladies, does the book give you amounts of materials to purchase, so I can start to get ready...ordered the book today, and hopefully will be here soon, and I can get started as well. How many blocks in total is there? Hope I can keep up with you, or should I say catch up when my book arrives, I will be very busy...thats for certain...hahaha
Old 04-01-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by d.rickman
Ok ladies, does the book give you amounts of materials to purchase, so I can start to get ready...ordered the book today, and hopefully will be here soon, and I can get started as well. How many blocks in total is there? Hope I can keep up with you, or should I say catch up when my book arrives, I will be very busy...thats for certain...hahaha
Yes, she does give fabric requirements. There are 36 block, plus the corners and borders. Please don't worry about catching up. It took me three weeks to get my first block done. I will be on the slow side.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:47 PM

I3 weeks to get one block finished, sounds like you are getting your blocks done faster than I am. I have been working on block 9 forever. I have made it the 7.5 inch in black, 10 inch in black, and 10 inch in white and 7.5 inch in white. I think I am going to use white as the background in the 7.5 inch size. I hope that I do not change my mind again. If I do I will know that I have gone bonkers for sure. Maybe I should say I am just trying to perfect my needle turn technique. LOL
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 AM

Donna,

Here are the fabric lists from the book for a 62 x 62" quilt. I have enlarged mine some of the pieces are very small so my patterns are 10", so you will have to get the material accordingly.

Background and wide border in same colour = 4 1/2 yds
Narrow border =1 YD
Wide Multi border multicoloured = 2Yds
Binding = 5/8th
Sashing 1/8th
Backing 4 yds
Assorted scraps/batiks for applique

If you look at the Pattern by googling it you will see what I mean by the different borders required.

Hope that helps and gets you started thinking about your fabrics

Elle
Old 04-02-2011, 01:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Donna,

Here are the fabric lists from the book for a 62 x 62" quilt. I have enlarged mine some of the pieces are very small so my patterns are 10", so you will have to get the material accordingly.

Background and wide border in same colour = 4 1/2 yds
Narrow border =1 YD
Wide Multi border multicoloured = 2Yds
Binding = 5/8th
Sashing 1/8th
Backing 4 yds
Assorted scraps/batiks for applique

If you look at the Pattern by googling it you will see what I mean by the different borders required.

Hope that helps and gets you started thinking about your fabrics

Elle
I got 10 yards of Kona black for my background. I am making 10in finished blocks, cutting them 11in for working on, as that just fits four across the width. I think there will be some left over, but I don't mind putting that in my stash.

I read what you said about not wanting small cuts of fabric, but seriously, I have used quite a few of 5in squares I had hanging around. You can get four of the smaller hearts (that make up a lot of the flowers) out of one of those. I have made 20 blocks now, and I have what looks like more fabric left over than I have used! I have also used some regular fabric in the blocks when I thought it fitted in. (see my block 16 on the thread for that)

The easiest way to find all the AOTH threads is to go down to the bottom of the page, click on Topic Lists, then on the Affairs of the Heart Cyber sew, and that will bring you to all of the threads together rather than having to search for them all over the board.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

GRRRRRR!!!!! Not getting notices again and having to catch up with you all. And here I thought you were just quiet! I should have known better than that! LOL!

Candi...you palette sounds lovely..very similar to mine. I can't wait to see pics of yours...you will post won't you?

d.rickman...I'm giggling because you aren't late...you are right on time!

Ducks...I'm with ya' on the slow side. We'll get it done though.

Now on to that pesky block with the scrolls. I FINALLY finished mine last night. It is most certainly not my favorite one. Thankfully you can hide one end of the scrolls under something else...Yippee!! Its that darn inside curve that is getting to me. Then to top off that piece, there is that leaf with the long skinny ends that I'm still struggling with! To add a little more joy....the next block (#20) has the SAME DARN PIECES!! LOL...Oh goodie!!!! more practice!
Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

Never mind Patti, you will certainly be able to do them by the time this quilt is done, just the same as when you first tackled Jane!

I have just discovered something wierd. I bought my Kona black from Hancocks (Paducah) before Christmas. I have had a new parcel this week, with 20 yards of Kona black for two quilty friends who want to start AOTH.

With my black I was just able to squeeze 4 x 11in squares across the width. This latest lot of 20 yards is over two and a half inches narrower!!!!! Is this their way of keeping the price the same as before, but economising?????

I will have to advise my friends that they will only get three squares across the width and the remaining part will be able to be used for the final borders and narrow borders.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old 04-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

I haven't used any Kona Lesley, so I don't know. I did buy some cute kitty fabric the other day. Unfortunately I washed it before I thought to measure to see if they were "generous" or not.

I was just griping to DH last night that as the prices of things go up, the stores in our area are just stocking cheaper quality of the items to keep the prices we pay down. This aggravates me because no matter what the price, some things...I just want the good quality!!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sandpat
I haven't used any Kona Lesley, so I don't know. I did buy some cute kitty fabric the other day. Unfortunately I washed it before I thought to measure to see if they were "generous" or not.

I was just griping to DH last night that as the prices of things go up, the stores in our area are just stocking cheaper quality of the items to keep the prices we pay down. This aggravates me because no matter what the price, some things...I just want the good quality!!
I know the feeling Patti. I have never had a gripe with Kona cotton, but then I haven't ever noticed a difference in width either.

I got some colours in addition to the black in the parcel this week, so I will check those next. As it happens, none of those are for me, I tend to be the one who orders everything for our group.