Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 AM
Power Poster

Forgot to say thank you Nancy for the nice comments about my stitching.

And another light background, Elle, to keep you company with your lemon one. It will be incredibly interesting to see how different they will look.

I am going with batiks primarily as I have a lot left over from the DJ, and waste not, want not. The trouble is that I bought a few more, so I am still likely to have left overs!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:31 AM

I managed to get the round gold cord that I wanted for my quilt. Will show you all a picture in a minute just got in and I am starving.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Here it is and I thought I would put it on my fabric to see how it looked, I like it. May have a problem it may unravel on the ends so will have to get some of that no fray stuff I have heard about. Does anyone use it and is it any good?

Elle

gold cording instad of stitching
[ATTACH=CONFIG]159175[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-159170.jpe  
Old 02-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Butterflyspain
Here it is and I thought I would put it on my fabric to see how it looked, I like it. May have a problem it may unravel on the ends so will have to get some of that no fray stuff I have heard about. Does anyone use it and is it any good?

Elle
I have two, Elle, one is called Fraycheck and the other is Needlework Finisher. The Fraycheck is almost clear in the bottle, whereas the Finisher looks more like PVA glue. Both dry clear, so no problem, from that point of view. I think the Fraycheck will probably be easier to get, as I bought some of that about a year ago, and I've had the Finisher for at least 10 years, so I've no idea if its still being made.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:13 AM

Elle, your fabrics are so yummy and restful. Hmmm... wonder if I want to change my mind...

Leslie, thank you for the fabric requirements. With my coupon at JoAnns and it being local I won't have to pay shipping. The cost should be $3.50 a yard if I get Kona black or coffee OR Elle's yellow. That seems like a pretty good price to me.

To my sadness they closed our Hancock's a few years back.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Yippee... just got word that my book has been shipped and should be here by the 11th.

LindaL
Me too, Linda! Yippee is right!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Elle, I really like your colors. Can't wait to start seeing the different effects different color combination gives. This will be fun, I am feeling it already!

I am still in the imagining stages of planning this quilt, of course I'd like to get the book before I make any definite design commitments here, but I am thinking of enlarging the blocks to 10'' to make it easier to work with larger applique pieces. If I make all of the blocks( not sure which layout yet) it'll be a bed quilt for our room, which is painted in Pistachio green, and overall decorated with fall colors. I was leaning towards using some green hue for the background, don't know which one yet, but I'll know it when I see it. Then when I saw Elle's pick, I thought a yellow hue would be nice. Then last night, I was working on another quilt, and was using a brown batik for the inner border, and I thought, gee, how about brown for my background, it'll have to be the right brown though, yes, I'll know it when I see it, :mrgreen: OK, as you can see, I am obsessed! But I do love the planning stages, and so pleased I have a long time to decide on fabric choices.

Now it sounds like most are using a solid color for the background and batiks for the applique pieces?? I was thinking of possibly using a batik for the background, I wonder if that would distract from the applique. I'll be playing around with fabric combination when the book gets here.
Oh, and one more thing, mine will be less scrappy, as I don't have that much stash and rather just use some of what I have here or only buy a certain number of fabrics for the applique pieces. I can tell you one thing though, the overall colors of this quilt for me will be greens, oranges, yellows, browns and tans, if I was going to use it as a bed quilt for our room.

Ok, that was one big brainstorm :mrgreen:
Old 02-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Candi, loved your writing out loud so to speak, sounds like a plan.

My quilt will be a throw so I am sticking with the original sizes here, I think the pieces are do-able, if not then I will enlarge but only if really necessary.

Its nice to hear of everyones different ideas. these quilts are all going to be scrummy in different colourways. looking forward to seeing the first blocks off the line.

Elle
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM

BTW Candi, someone showed a batik background and it wasn´t something I would have gone with. Wish I could remember which page it was on.

Heh Kathy are you there can you help with that one?

Elle
Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM

LindaAnn, so jealous of the wonderful quilt shops you all have in America, I always have to buy on line. 3.50$ sounds wonderful. The last Kona Black I bought in Spain cost me 26.50 Euros which equates to 35.97$....a lot right. but I really needed it to finish up my Jane. I bought on line at 4.50$ and thought what a great deal. looks the same quality as well.

Elle