Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 PM

Oh yeah, and my blocks will be on a black background, original size, bright batiks. Hand, needle-turn appliqued, hand embroidered. What was I thinking??
Old 02-18-2011, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by aemrivera
Hi, everyone! I'm joining in on this one. My name is Amy and I live in Alabama. I was so (pleasantly)surprised to see this quilt being done for a BOM. A few years back I joined a BOM using this one from some quilt shop online....we were doing 3 blocks/month. You had to commit to buying the stuff for the whole quilt to do this (credit card was being billed whether you did the blocks or not!)so....I may I have 2 blocks done (possibly only one, now that I think of it....), but I have ALL the stuff to complete it!!!! So...count me in! A UFO that will be - NO MORE a UFO!! I'm excited. I think the Hubby will be, too! *vbg*

me too...a way to get rid of a UFO..welcome
Old 02-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Welcome, Amy! Glad to have you with us. So far we number 44, & we still have a few months before we really get going - EXCEPT for the "Jump the Gun Club" :-) Can you tell I am a bit jealous of them as they have dipped their toes into the water & I haven't? I've just got too much on my plate right now, but come the 3rd Saturday in March, I will be free of all obligations (unless the Warden finds something to commit me to doing!)

What I like about doing it this way is we are getting to know each other so we will really have a ball when we all find that we are having trouble with a praticular piece or whatever. We have several ladies who are going to be tutors for us and make very detailed tutes ('puter-speak for tutorials) of how they dealt with that specific issue. You will come to love all of these ladies (we don't have any guys - YET.)
Old 02-18-2011, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Welcome, Amy! Glad to have you with us. So far we number 44, & we still have a few months before we really get going - EXCEPT for the "Jump the Gun Club" :-) Can you tell I am a bit jealous of them as they have dipped their toes into the water & I haven't? I've just got too much on my plate right now, but come the 3rd Saturday in March, I will be free of all obligations (unless the Warden finds something to commit me to doing!)

What I like about doing it this way is we are getting to know each other so we will really have a ball when we all find that we are having trouble with a praticular piece or whatever. We have several ladies who are going to be tutors for us and make very detailed tutes ('puter-speak for tutorials) of how they dealt with that specific issue. You will come to love all of these ladies (we don't have any guys - YET.)
Thanks for the welcomes!

The one thing I DO remember about this one, was that a bunch of us got hung up on the first block. Everyone said they got better after that. Seems I DID do another one, because I agreed wholeheartedly with that! Now I have to dig out the stuff for this...Very excited.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:03 PM

Amy, welcome.. there is a lot of talent here that will keep you motivated to finish that UFO.

OK, I just finished the top for the queen Bargello I started in January and am discovering that I am not too fond of working on big quilts..it was my first queen size, and a few weeks back, I also did a full size mystery quilt, I am burnt out from working on these big quilts, lol. I NEED to just finish a couple of small things to get re-energized :mrgreen: And that is a big reason why I am looking forward to joining this group, hopefully, doing it one block a week with this wonderful group would keep it in the "I am loving it" category and not the "Man, I can't wait to get this finished" one,lol. Well to be fair, I did enjoy working on the bargello but I was getting burnt out at the end and just HAD to finish the top and see how it turns out,couldn't stop,lol.

BTW, I should share that I am very excited, I found a place that rents out longarm for personal use, and will be checking it out to take a class the end of the month and then hopefully get the queen and full size tops that are staring at me quilted. :thumbup:
Old 02-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Don't worry. Not all of us in the JTG Club (Jump the Gun) will be any different than anyone else. I put my stuff aside to finish other UFO's. I just had to see if needleturn was actually something I could do. I think I can do it, but the jury is still out as far as how well it will be done!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ducky
Don't worry. Not all of us in the JTG Club (Jump the Gun) will be any different than anyone else. I put my stuff aside to finish other UFO's. I just had to see if needleturn was actually something I could do. I think I can do it, but the jury is still out as far as how well it will be done!
i like needleturn and does look nice but i love to machine quilt/applique...quicker production line that way :-D
Old 02-18-2011, 05:37 PM

I ordered my book today, I bought already black background but I was told that black is difficult because you don't see the stitches when hand appliqueing. Then I bought a yellow background... not convinced of this one. Finally I bought a green background... not sure. The problem is that this quilt will be for my DMIL who should come to live with us this year or begining of next. Her bedroom is yellow, courtains have flowers with green and orange, so I wanted a matching quilt.
I am going to pick the rest of the fabrics and tell you more.
By the way. Am I in the list?
Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Hi again. I have just read through this whole post in the last two days. You are all helping me get more motivated and excited about this quilt.

A question, what are sharks teeth on a quilt border? I have not heard that term before.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by leakus
By the way. Am I in the list?
Oh, yes, you are on the list! #30.

For any of you who happen to be lurking and are interested in joining us, please make yourselves known. :-) You aren't going to be bound into an ironclad guarantee that you must stick with us. However, it is a very fun, caring group of ladies who are just itching to get going!!!! We will be here to offer encouragement and assist anyone who has a problem & needs help with it.

Don't worry about the JTG Club as they are just eager-beavers. I am one of them, but my gun isn't loaded at the present time. Gotta buy the ammo! There are several ladies who haven't decided just exactly how they are going to make up their quilts. That's OK, there is still plenty of time for decision making. Some have already changed their minds - that's OK, too. Nothing is cast in concrete, yet.

EDIT: P.S. We have 45 ladies on "The List" as of right now. Elle, Lesley - please notice that I didn't put me on the list as I know I'm doing it, so you can add me to the list, if you choose! :-)