Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Wow on BarbaraJane´s quilt absolutely stunning.
Candi I will be doing some embroidery. You could always use a fancy stitch on your machine, that would work to.

Think I will be doing hand embroidery though maybe a bit of couching with a round gold material I found will get a pic to show you all, see what you think.

Just off to my sewing club see you all later Elle
Old 02-01-2011, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

Hey, I go to bed, and when I wake up, I find we have been 'stuck' to the top of the BOM section - cool.

Barbara Jane, thank you for posting your pic - your quilt is gorgeous and deserved the lovely ribbons. I've never won anything because I haven't been brave enough to enter anything, LOL.

I am doing the embroidery, because it really brightens up the blocks, and if you look at some of them, nos. 34 and 35 for instance, they would look really lost without their embroidery. When we get going, I wil take some pics of how to do the stitch, and it really isn't difficult. If I do it now, I just think it will be too soon, and get lost.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:08 AM

I bought the book and agree that after I look at the book I'll know what colors I'll want to use.

Originally Posted by PKWard
I'm waiting on my book to see what is involved and what I will need. Glad I have till June to pull it all together.

Originally Posted by candi
Originally Posted by PKWard
Barbara Jane...your quilt is breathtaking!!! I now KNOW I am in over my head! Beautiful, beautiful work!!!
Same here!
BTW, is everyone doing embroidery on this quilt?
Old 02-01-2011, 04:30 AM

Welcome to Obsessed, Sewwhat85, Candi, Lucymae, Quilts4fun, Lots2do, PKWard, tthuis, & Vanessa17. So very glad you are going to join us or are seriously thinking about joining. This would be a really good way to get better at applique and maybe embroidery.

I am really excited about getting started on this quilt, but our schedule begins in June, so we all have plenty of time to get caught up on other projects or commitments before then. I think I collected fabric for her for severall months. Hey, what am I saying, I'm always looking for new additions to my collections!

Anyway, welcome to AOTH!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 AM

Ok, maybe because it is a crazy hour of the morning (4:30am) but I am intrigued and scared at the same time. I want to try doing this but if you knew me, you would know it is out of my comfort zone, truly... LOL!

I will order my book and try a block to kinow for sure. My motto in the past (as early as yesterday) has been "I don't do needle turn applique". But, Leslie, your idea of enlarging the block sounds like it might be doable for me. Leslie, are you saying that you are doing hand embroidery? I love to do hand embroidery but also sort of a novice at that also.

Will you all really hold my hand through all of this to the very end if I take the plunge? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Old 02-01-2011, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Ok, maybe because it is a crazy hour of the morning (4:30am) but I am intrigued and scared at the same time. I want to try doing this but if you knew me, you would know it is out of my comfort zone, truly... LOL!

I will order my book and try a block to kinow for sure. My motto in the past (as early as yesterday) has been "I don't do needle turn applique". But, Leslie, your idea of enlarging the block sounds like it might be doable for me. Leslie, are you saying that you are doing hand embroidery? I love to do hand embroidery but also sort of a novice at that also.

Will you all really hold my hand through all of this to the very end if I take the plunge? :shock: :shock: :shock:
I promise, Linda - I will stick with you right to the very end of the schedule, holding your hand all the way. (short of illness, incapacity or death that is, LOL). I intend to take lots of pics on how I do things, to help out, cos I know that needleturn does sound kinda scary. But if it really gives you the heeby jeebies, you can always machine the bits down. The quilt I gave a link to on page one got a first ribbon, and that was all machined.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

On the question of whether to embroider or not, take a look at these two pics of the first block on the schedule, and then you might be able to decided for yourself.

Detail of Block 9, before.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166375[/ATTACH]

And after
[ATTACH=CONFIG]166376[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-166370.jpe   attachment-166371.jpe  
Old 02-01-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
On the question of whether to embroider or not, take a look at these two pics of the first block on the schedule, and then you might be able to decided for yourself.
Lesley, my problem is that I don't have an embroidery machine, but I do agree decorated blocks look so much prettier. I have done very minor hand embroidery work, and if you guide me when time comes, I may be able to pull something off,lol.

Linda, dive in. I keep telling myself, what is the worst thing that can happen if I started this? Get so overwhelmed and never finish :mrgreen: that is not a huge deal now, is it :?: :-) :lol:
Old 02-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
The quilt is the Costa Rican Cartwheel from "Mariner's Comapss Quilts: Setting a New Course" by Judy Mathieson. It is paper pieced and around 50 some inches square.

Don't worry about getting off course with this group. These ladies (me, too) will talk about anything even if it is off topic. Don't mind in the least.
Well, it is gorgeous! I love it.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 AM
Power Poster

Hey Linda...we'll all hold your hand all the way through and sing "Kumbaya" if you'd like :D: I'm really happy to see lots of folks wanting to learn and grow. I can't begin to tell you how much I learned making the DJ quilt and I'm certain that I will learn making this quilt too. So...don't be scared! This is supposed to be fun!

BarbaraJane...wow..your quilt if fabulous! So, are you gonna stick around to give us all some tips too??? Please???