Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Loving this global weather forecast! High of mid 70s here in NE Florida, it is starting to cool down now though...went out and rode horses at the barn most of the afternoon....Me and the horses were loving the weather...an absolutely perfect day...now if I could only feel motivated to finish hand sewing the binding on the last corner of my square dance quilt...it'll be divine!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:53 PM

I don't want to make you jealous but it was 82 degress here this afternoon and my DH turned on the A/C. If I'm hot he's freezing and vice versa. I enjoyed the tute on back basting applique but I think I am going to try and glue my pieces temporarily. I am using a dark background and I don't want to make extra work for myself. I am already so frustrated with my sewing machine. I am trying to finish my DGD quilt and I finally got the stitches to lock and now the embroidery frame for my Janome 11000 broke and I am at another stand still. At this rate I won't be finished by June much less March 1.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore
I don't want to make you jealous but it was 82 degress here this afternoon and my DH turned on the A/C. If I'm hot he's freezing and vice versa. I enjoyed the tute on back basting applique but I think I am going to try and glue my pieces temporarily. I am using a dark background and I don't want to make extra work for myself. I am already so frustrated with my sewing machine. I am trying to finish my DGD quilt and I finally got the stitches to lock and now the embroidery frame for my Janome 11000 broke and I am at another stand still. At this rate I won't be finished by June much less March 1.
Oh so sorry for your troubles. Is the frame fixable or are you going to be buying a new one?

Where is Sebring? We are between St. Augustine and Jacksonville.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Well, we are enjoying all types of weather on this thread!

I learned the back basting method doing the Baby Jane. It has really small pieces, so it worked well for me and I enjoyed doing it. I am thinking that for this quilt, I'll be using a combo of techniques on different block pieces. Whatever is the easiest for me on each one is what I'll try. Probably, back basting, freezer paper and needle turn.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Power Poster

Wow, 82 degrees? That is a really hot summer's day here, and I would be happier with the 70.

I think that the scrolls on some of the blocks might be one of the harder shapes to manage, so once you have all had a practice with a leaf and a heart, then a scroll would be the next thing to try.

As far as I can see, those basic shapes, plus circles, are all that is in the blocks really. Some of them are fatter or thinner, but they are just variations really.

Next time I do a scroll, I'll try and take lots of pics as I go, so I can post them here.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:53 AM
Power Poster

I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing the scrolls by making continuous bias and treating them like a vine. Is that cheating?????
Old 02-24-2011, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing the scrolls by making continuous bias and treating them like a vine. Is that cheating?????
No, I call that smart! Great idea!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

Not cheating at all Patti, I call it expediency! After all, not many people inspect a quilt from 6 inches. That man on his horse must think all quilts are stunning!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Whew...because the thought of needle turning that scroll or reverse appliqueing the scroll makes my skin tingle....
Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

Whew...because the thought of needle turning that scroll or reverse appliqueing the scroll makes my skin tingle....
I've just done one and taken lots of pics along the way, so perhaps when I post them, that might help. (off out tonight, so it will probably be over the weekend)