Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011 >

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Affairs of the Heart Cyber-Sew 2011

Old 02-24-2011, 01:10 PM

I have working on a couple of applique blocks as practice for this quilt and have a couple of questions for those who are much more versed in applique than I am.

Do you starch or size your fabrics that will be your applique pieces?

I have read and read about making nice sharp points and still have problems with it. I have tried needleturn, freezer paper, the glue way that Alex Anderson does it, and I still have a problem with points. The piece I am working on now has long narrow flower leaves that come to a very sharp point and I am really struggling. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JudyG
I have working on a couple of applique blocks as practice for this quilt and have a couple of questions for those who are much more versed in applique than I am.

Do you starch or size your fabrics that will be your applique pieces?

I have read and read about making nice sharp points and still have problems with it. I have tried needleturn, freezer paper, the glue way that Alex Anderson does it, and I still have a problem with points. The piece I am working on now has long narrow flower leaves that come to a very sharp point and I am really struggling. Any help will be appreciated.
Judy, I don't starch or size, but I do seem to have good control of my left thumb, that keeps everything held in place while I get some stitches in. I just pin my piece from behind to hold it roughly in place (though with larger pieces, I occasionally baste about a quarter of an inch inside the sewing line).

I posted some pics of how I do it on page 26/27. The leaf shape in the pics isn't as pointed as some of those that Aie designed, but I do them exactly the same way, perhaps cutting down the turning allowance a little bit, to cut down on the bulk at the point. If my turning allowance is smaller, I tend to put stitches closer together - especially in the tight curl of the scrolls.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

I struggle with the pointy points too, but a couple
of things that help are:

Sew down to the point on one side, then tuck
the other side under to make the point.

Use a toothpick to help tuck under stubborn seam allowances. ( I wear a ring on my left thumb when I applique and keep a toothpick tucked into it)

When you get the allowance tucked to your satisfaction
Take 1 small stitch right in the point and stitch it
straight down.

Maybe these tips will help a little. I am learning that the best tip is to practice, practice, practice. Mine are getting better the more of them I do.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:27 PM

NO, that is preserving your sanity

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing the scrolls by making continuous bias and treating them like a vine. Is that cheating?????
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM

HI all! I received my book and also bought "Applique takes wings" beautifull both of them.
Now I have to decide the block size. I am not sure if I want this quilt as the original size or bigger... mmm thinking.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM

I agree. There is no reason NOT to do that!

Originally Posted by pattis47
NO, that is preserving your sanity

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing the scrolls by making continuous bias and treating them like a vine. Is that cheating?????
Old 02-24-2011, 05:51 PM

I know I saw someone post a link for a site online for batik fabrics, but for the life of me I cant find it now...Just got my book in the mail today and boy am I ready to do some serious shopping.....HELP who orders on line and gets good prices for great fabric?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 PM

I know I saw someone post a link for a site online for batik fabrics, but for the life of me I cant find it now...Just got my book in the mail today and boy am I ready to do some serious shopping.....HELP who orders on line and gets good prices for great fabric?
Have you looked at connectingthreads.com? They have some pretty batiks and they aren't too expensive. If you order at least $50 worth, you get free shipping too. (I'm totally addicted to connecting threads!)
Old 02-24-2011, 07:00 PM

Thanks for the tips, Lesley and Sandpat. I will try all hints.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 PM

Hancocks of Paducha has lots of batick on sale for $5 to $6 a yard. You do have to buy a yard of each choice. Try fat quarters or fat 8ths from Connecting threads. Have fun shopping.