Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Looks like CA is a little cloudy today too. No beautiful sunrise , just looks foggy. Same here in WY, yesterday and today and it's only 16 degrees....so much for the weatherman's low prediction of 34 for last night. We even had a little bit of that snow whirling around yesterday, praying for winter to be over soon.

Elisabrat - Can you do pureed watermelon? If not, I have lots of frozen grapes from last years harvest still in the freezer I will share with you. Dried watermelon is a great snack, mine turns out like fruit leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    Well one day closer to starting. I am all happy happy about that. I need a late night snack. grapes or apples? ...grapes ok. sounds oh so good right now. wish I had froze them darn it. I am getting addicted to the frozen. a whole different experience. (we have to come up with good ways to quench our thirst without drinking more water hence the frozen grapes.. ) dialysis. oh fun. don't try it with strawberries. they take out your teeth when frozen. blueberries are good but a bit tart. great in your wine glasses ladies. no extra water keep it cool and then you could munch on them I suppose if you like when your done. Me, no wine, no glasses of fun things like WATER.. just.. grapes.

I've chosen a piece from my pig collection. I'm hoping Judy or another of you on the mystery ride will give me the best idea for a b c order. I know she said small pieces will be cut. Will the pigs show in any of the positions?

Thanks for the input. SheriR
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SheriR~

~If you can't turn the corners of your mouth up...let the middle sag!~

"Be not afraid, only believe."

Sorry for your pain computer pain Judy. The delay gave me a chance to dig through the stash for my fabrics of choice and to find my focus fabric at the local thrift store yesterday. The red paisley is the thrift store purchase, three yards for about $1.80 a yard including the tax. I did discover that my stash is almost devoid of Christmas greens. Not sure yet about the order of the fabrics.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    my face is red......almost everyday the sun rises over the santa monicas (mtns....well hills anyway) and throws a beautiful glow across the pacific...... so I shared and it did not happen......well maybe tonight 6p.m. Pacific daylight time.......hopefully there will be a beautiful sunset.......

it is 76 degrees at noon here and the water is in the 60's approximately
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-12-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Well here in se tx we are having lovely weather for spring break as well. Getting pretty cool at night but upper 60s to mid 70s daytime. Loving it! Got some petunias at the garden center to put out in my flower bed.

Just ck'd forecast for the weekend and it says 60s at night and 80s daytime! WhooHoo! Faire will be fabulous.

I was just watching it snow a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
    Just ck'd forecast for the weekend and it says 60s at night and 80s daytime! WhooHoo! Faire will be fabulous.

Ohthank the Lord. I thought I was born and raised here and we go to the beach to um.. watch the sunset? lol its ok. that was a brat moment to the tenth degree. I was floored when we went to Akumal. down in the Yukatan Mexico that the sun rose out of the ocean. then my now X looked at me and said DID YOU LOOK AT A MAP BEFORE we came here? sulk off.. no. just knew it was below CA not how far inland. geography I can do basic not reality. I just thought waitta minute, I know the sun rises in the east first... soooo . I still dont get sunrises thought. we are hour or more behind the rest because the mountian is like 8000 feet inbetween me and the sun. lotta rising to beat that.

I love sunrise sunset its those times that you think when people paint something that the colors are all fake, that cant be right.. oh yes yes it can. Its a joy to watch. your mind like when quilting we paint with fabric is painting with ..pure natural color. how much better than can you get. no fog here Jaba. We just avoid it as much as possible. we do get lol Mountain Mist when the clouds are hanging so low? lower they get fog. I know. I live up "here" with the misters. lol.

I am making boring old pork chops tonight. gets better. shake and bake. Steve hates pork anyways. he will kill it with mustard so what the heck. shake bake dinner. ok and a salad. gotta love those salads.

Watermellon cubes. yes I could have those. I can have 2 cups of fluid a day. all at once or broken up over say 12 hours my pic. then I can have one apple OR fruit/veggie water equivalent. or I am in teacher trouble at clinic and its hard on me so I try to be good. sometimes. most of the time. not all of it. Hence why I dont do oodles of heat. Today is gorgeous 64! and will be for the next three days then back to the 50's which is fine too. more fish in the freezer. lucky me! found a new person for the fish. I am jazzed. giving 10 away today. leaves me only... like 25. or more. no room for FOOD. Wish I could A) live here but B) live in the bay area where food is not hard to gift at all all the soup kitchens will take it gladly. no soup kitchens here. and the churches wont take it yet they limit groceries to one bag a month .. so many want it. what do I do sit outside the parking lot and say FREE FISH??? I guess he will just have to make a run to Sacramento and drop off what is in there soon so he can run back out and be the great white fisherman. To those who dont get it, he is putting back 5-10 fish a time while he is there just keeping the ones that dont make it. ahhhhhh. thank you for limits world. five a day is all you can keep. phew.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Has this train left the station yet or can I still join? I normally do not do well with Mystery quilts (the controlling perfectionist side of me would like to see the finished product before I start!) but this sounds like fun and I love all of your fabric choices on here. Plus with nothing more than 3/4 yard, I can definitely raid my stash Now on to selecting some fabrics...decisions, decisions.

Blog Entries
    Germanquilter, Welcome aboard. Can't wait to see your choices.

Meanmom, What makes a chili Cincinnati style?

Kay Carlson, Good luck with your new computer. I've have Win8 for a month now and wish I could say I like it. Mine didn't come with any office software either. Fortunately, some of the old programs like Paint, Notepad, Sticky notes are still there but you have to leave the Tiles start page and go to the desktop to use them. Then they aren't visible until you go back and forth. All VERY confusing. When I think of all the lost hours of productivity that are being lost to Win8, it makes me mad.

Ok, here is a better picture and what I hope to use as the order. Since we use the most of D, I put my pig fabric in that spot. I hope it works. I'm picturing just a fun table runner. My only one!
    SheriR~

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SheriR View Post
    Ok, here is a better picture and what I hope to use as the order. Since we use the most of D, I put my pig fabric in that spot. I hope it works. I'm picturing just a fun table runner. My only one!
    Those piggies are so cute!

Welcome aboard Germanquilter!!
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    Love that fabric combo SheriR. Those piggies are cute.
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    Love that fabric combo SheriR. Those piggies are cute.
    Thanks! I hope it will turn out fun. I am trading pieces B and D as per a PM suggestion. Thanks Judy!!
    SheriR~

Blog Entries
    Cincinnati style chili is different than most other chili's. I think it is a combination of Greek and Lebanese? Not sure Here is our family recipe.
    3 pounds ground beef
    4 med onions minced
    1 tsp allspice
    6 bay leaves
    1/2 tbsp crushed red pepper
    2 dashes A-1 sauce
    1 tsp cinnamon
    3 tbsp chili powder
    1 8 oz can tomato sauce
    1 1/2 tbsp vinegar
    1 glove garlic crushed
    1/2 tbsp ground red pepper
    3 tsp cumin 1 qt water
    optional add 1 tsp unsweetened cocoa
    Put raw ground beef and water (hot from the faucet) in a large pot. Stir to break up the ground beef. The easiest way is to smoosh it with your hands until it is all broken up. Stir in everything else. Bring to a simmer stirring now and then to keep the beef broken up. Simmer about 3 hours. Or cook 8 hours (reduce water a little bit) on low in the crock pot. Remove bay leaves. Add more or less ground and crushed red pepper to adjust the heat level.
    Cincinnati style chili is served over spaghetti. A 3 way is chili over spaghetti topped with lots of shredded cheddar cheese, a 4 way add chopped onion on top of chili and a 5 way you put kidney beans on top of the onions. Top it all off with oyster crackers. MMMMMMMM!
    A coney dog here is a hot dog with a little yellow mustard topped with chili, onion and cheese.
    Hope you all enjoy this.

WOW! cocoa.... I will HAVE to try this!!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!!

Blessings!
    Carole
    I am an organ donor. I gave my heart to Jesus.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the Cincinnati chili recipe. Sounds yummers!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

the cinnamon makes it different I think. nice of you to share your family recipe thank you.

ok today is another just waiting for go day but.. key word BUT its only two days now til we can start!!! Yahooo. Anyone else have fabrics they are using that they would like to share?? its fun seeing what different combos are used in these adventures. following the stacks of fabric as they all turn into a similiar product with totally different looks based on the fabric choices. I know this will be a good one to play with.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Thanks Meanmom. Cincinnati Chili! Would you believe that DH has been trying to duplicate his mother's chili for ages? He keeps telling me that my chili is not really chili! And I have been telling him that chili is not served with spaghetti, it is served with rice. Well he was born in Cincinnatti and I was born and raised in So California, and our chilies are different. Guess what he is getting for dinner tonight!
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    Meanmom, That is a really different chili recipe! Can't wait to try it. I'm like Caroline, if I serve it with anything, it would be rice, but it's usually cornbread. Thanks for sharing.

Well yes another day waiting, another day closer. Do you all know that Saturday is National Quilting Day? 3rd Saturday of March each year. I will have to see what time the information is posted. I may take it with me to do while my quilt guild has an exhibition for National Quilt Day at the community center.

Here is the info on history of NQD - http://nqaquilts.org/natqday/

Chili sounds wonderful. May have to try that one but is going to be back in the 80's today so maybe this weekend only will cut the porportions down alittle since there is just one of me. Does it freeze well?
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Our quilt guild is having a 2-day display at a local museum. Several of the members have antique quilts they are loaning for the exhibit. I'll be a "quilt angel" on Sunday afternoon. Lots of ideas are about to fill my head!
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Blog Entries
    I have a question, did not want to make a new post on this so thought to ask one of the busier threads, but what do you consider earth tones? I consider earth tones to be blues, greens, browns, and a brown red could be in that as well. I am making a quilt and I really considered it to be earth tones, but the DH and DD said only sorta. Where am I wrong? I did put in a neutral of an off white/tan. No, I don't have a photo of the fabric, but just thought the color scheme was right on. What did I miss?
    Life is short, live it while you still can. QuilterMomma

Quote Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
    I have a question, did not want to make a new post on this so thought to ask one of the busier threads, but what do you consider earth tones? I consider earth tones to be blues, greens, browns, and a brown red could be in that as well. I am making a quilt and I really considered it to be earth tones, but the DH and DD said only sorta. Where am I wrong? I did put in a neutral of an off white/tan. No, I don't have a photo of the fabric, but just thought the color scheme was right on. What did I miss?
    hi there, well i just 'googled' earth tones and this came up on 'google images'...
    pretty much what you said!
    Jacquie xxxxx

Quilters aren't greedy, they're just materialistic.

"Don't be pushed by your problems, be led by your dreams."
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 ... LastLast