Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Another MYSTERY QUILT Train Ride - our 5th trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
    Reeskylr why do your triangles A-C look so big? Camera?
    Oh I should have read the previous post.Now the squares are 4"
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Just when I thought I had waited long enough, there's another change! What's funnier still is that I had already made my squares bigger - at 3.5, but not big enough! No worries - I'll use the smaller ones on the back side of the table runners. No complaints Judy - we can adjust!
    We are here to learn how to live in heaven - I'm still learning.

Thanks so much Judy. I'm hoping I have enough because I messed up and let my ruler slip while cross cutting the 4" squares. But since I have been cutting along the selvege edge I have a bit more of that strip. And like everyone else, I can use the itty bitties for a wee quilt top or placemat.

I have just started cutting and sewing. From A and B it says to cut 3 squares of each and sew on the diagonal to get 2 half square triangles. I get 6 squares. Directions says there will be 12 of these half square triangles blocks.
    Do I need to make more?
    Judy, no problem with the corrections. I am using from stash, and have more than required of each.
    Debra

Ok,

Fixed the triangles and I now like my choices better. Thank you for the practice. I am afraid of bias edges.
    Name:  DSCI2953email.JPG
Views: 260
Size:  22.1 KB

I am getting better by the second making these qst's. no worries. started with 1 to 2 yrds of each fabric so oodles to play with.
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    ROFL. I can't help it. I think the train got derailed and went into a rabbit hole.
    There are sure a lot of pretty fabric choices out there. Mine will be posted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Wow, Vicki, making 5 runners shows a lot of trust in doing something you have no idea how it will turn out LOL especially since my brain was in fog state and the mistkes I made in typing.
    Judy...I have complete faith in you! I have done all your mysteries (still need to finish #3 which is going to be for my GD for her graduation in 2 years) & I am very happy with how they have all turned out. So, yes, 5 is the magic number! Thanks for all you go through doing these!!!

Ok...tomorrow I will go redo the triangle squares...no big deal. I alerted my friend & daughter. Oh well, more scrap squares for the scrap runner eventually.
    Last edited by VickiM; 03-19-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    dungeonquilter and Dedemac, have you seen the corrections? The QSTs first cut is 4", not 3" and they are to be made from A & C. Go back a few posts and confirm that as I am typing from memory. dungeonquilter, in the first paragraph it is 6 squares for 12 HSTs.

Just pressed my fabrics. My light looks too yellow but the print and the coral batik have some yellow so I'm going to leave it as I like it a lot. It's serendipity that I had just the right amount left from daughter's quilt.

I'm making a batch of Dream Bars - a two layer walnut and coconut confection. I'll make extra for the club car.
    Last edited by irishrose; 03-19-2013 at 05:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    My QST's are redone at 4". Thank goodness I have plenty of A & C fabrics.
    For those who are totally confused, you cut 3 squares of each of A & C measuring 4" each. Then you cut on the diagonal twice which will give you 4 qst's, ending up with a total of 12 sets when you have them sewn together on one of the short sides.
    Pat H
    Carencro LA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mary O View Post
    Reeskylr why do your triangles A-C look so big? Camera?
    Those are the four inch ones
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    dungeonquilter and Dedemac, have you seen the corrections? The QSTs first cut is 4", not 3" and they are to be made from A & C. Go back a few posts and confirm that as I am typing from memory. dungeonquilter, in the first paragraph it is 6 squares for 12 HSTs.
    Irishrose, Yes I saw the update. The small ones went into the stash bag to do something with latter. I have not cut the squares down yet I figured I would wait until we needed to use these. I think that is why the triangles look smaller in proportion to the squares. Thanks for checking.

Question Mystery Quilt (table runner)

I see the yardage requirements but have not seen anything else. Do I need to go somewhere special or is it just running late like me. LOL

Hi VickiM ,

You're right it's me Dorothy. I'm so excited. Could not find anything and then I did. Now all I need is to go through a lot of posts to find instructions. I know they are hiding in the caboose.
    I thought page one would be the most recent but have found the higher the number the more recent so I'm hunting tonight.

Sew Diva, please look on pg 38, #376 for the instructions. There is one correction, in the second part, it says "B & C", should be A & C. Part of it was changed, one got missed.. You make triangles with A & B, then other set is made using A & C.

Hope this helps..
    Jean

These are going to be great in a table runner. Now why didn't I use a fruit or veggie fabric.....hmmmm Well maybe I'll make more then one. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Thanks Jean, I now know that I have to go backwards to find things that page one was the first not the most recent posts. So now I have all the instructions to date and the corrections. Glad I had to board the train at the second stop. LOL
    I was on a Russian blog and boy did I make some goofs at a disappearing pinwheel. But I figured it out from the pictures. So the mistakes here are a piece of cake compared to what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by labeelady View Post
    My QST's are redone at 4". Thank goodness I have plenty of A & C fabrics.
    For those who are totally confused, you cut 3 squares of each of A & C measuring 4" each. Then you cut on the diagonal twice which will give you 4 qst's, ending up with a total of 12 sets when you have them sewn together on one of the short sides.
    I'm thoroughly confused. I don't see this anywhere in Judy's directions--where did you get this information? The updated post #376 states 3" for the quarter squares A-C, but it looks like a few folks are making them 4" before cutting in quarters. JUDY -- could you please clarify? Thank you.

Blog Entries
    In post #533, Judy states that the correct size to cut for the quarter squares is 4 inches.

Quote Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
    I'm thoroughly confused. I don't see this anywhere in Judy's directions--where did you get this information? The updated post #376 states 3" for the quarter squares A-C, but it looks like a few folks are making them 4" before cutting in quarters. JUDY -- could you please clarify? Thank you.
    http://s1212.photobucket.com/user/bibliostone/library/
    Never regret. If it's good, it's wonderful. If it's bad, it's experience.
    -- Eleanor Hibbert,
    British author

This train ride is a real mystery and I for one, am loving it and I've learned something new and have now had lots of practice and not doing too badly at all. Thank you Labeelady on how to do the small triangles on the tube method. Brilliant!! And all the extra ones will find a home in a quilt somewhere. My friend Vicki M alerted me to the 4" size so I'll be making them tomorrow. Goodnight all!

Showing my original picks, not enough C fabric. Thought it was a fat quarter, but more like a fat eighth.
    Second picture should show my small tris with second choice of C. Don't like it.
    Third picture shows larger tris with HST.
    Forth shows HST with my D fabric.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I don't understand what has happened to the correction for the copy for the little triangles. Yes ,posting #533, the correction I made the other day sayis you will cut 4" squares --this is the correct size and should be from A and C fabrics. I had asked Patrice to change the copy on posting #376 but it hasn't happened yet. So posting #376 is still incorrect, it shows cutting a 3" square. You should cut 4" squares. Sew them with a scant 1/4" seam.
    Last edited by paintmejudy; 03-20-2013 at 06:12 AM.
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way."
    Juan Ramon Jimenez 1881-1958

Blog Entries
    Get out your rotary cutter, and away we go!

First, you will make some half square triangles that will finish at 3” square. If you are like me and never seem to get them to come out at the perfect size, try this trick - cut your squares a bit larger; sew, press and then trim to size. If you are always spot on, you can do these the “correct” way (“correct” according to the quilt police) and cut your squares at 3-7/8”. P.S. No quilt police allowed here, so don’t worry about how you make your half square triangles. There are lots of methods out there for you to choose from.

From A and B cut a WOF of each, I cut them at a bit generous 4-1/8” wide. From these strips cut 6 of A and 6 of B at the 4-1/8” mark, ending up with 6 each of A and B, 4-1/8” square. Set the leftover strips aside for later. Or cut at 3-7/8” if you are doing them the so-called “correct” way. Place right sides together, mark a diagonal from corner to corner, sew ” away from each side of the line, cut along the drawn line, press. Trim as needed to 3-” square. There will be 12 of these half square triangle blocks.

If you need instructions on marking and sewing, see the simple diagram below. More detailed instructions can be found on the internet.

From A and C cut three squares of each fabric measuring 4” square. Again, I am having you cut the fabric a bit larger, and it will be trimmed at a later date. Cut each piece from corner to corner, to make 4 pieces of each fabric. Using the picture as a guide, sew two short sides of A and C together, making 12 triangular pieces. Start stitching from the long straight edge, sewing toward the point. Always keep the A and C fabrics in the same position so the triangles are identical. You will have 12 of the small triangular pieces.

this is a copy/paste with the corrections

Blog Entries

shows the 4 inch......on the cutting mat....cool......this is my copy and paste day....now switch to cut and sew
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 03-20-2013 at 06:43 AM.

good job SunlitenSmiles. Now Miss Judy can be at peace. Maybe there won't be any more questions on where, when and how. LOL so now the clues are #'s 1, #573 and #574 and I did write it down for future use. Big hugs from much cooler FL. Where did the heat go???? Retta aka Chef

Page 23 of 42 FirstFirst ... 13 22 23 24 33 ... LastLast