Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Block of Month - May 1, 2007 - Cabbage Rose and/or Spider Star - The Photos >

Block of Month - May 1, 2007 - Cabbage Rose and/or Spider Star - The Photos

Block of Month - May 1, 2007 - Cabbage Rose and/or Spider Star - The Photos

Old 06-06-2007, 10:36 AM

Patsy I must say I agree with you on the paper piecing issue. It just isn't my cup of tea. But at least we can say we know what we like, and maybe not feel so bad giving somethings a spike. :lol:
Attached Thumbnails dscn3412no.jpg   dscn3413no.jpg   dscn3414no.jpg   dscn3415no.jpg  
Old 06-06-2007, 10:44 AM

Patsy,
You have described to a tee my first experience with paper piecing. I didn't record my experience quite so eloquently. I did try PP one more time and now it's a favorite technique. I guess my mind is just very twisted!! How else can I explain that I actually like to do paper piecing? :lol: Warped! I admit it!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:48 AM

I'm not fond of it either but have that pattern I want to do someday. Maybe this was just a hard one for a first try. Maybe we can find one that is easier before we give up completely. I'm willing to give it another shot with something easier
Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by ceannastahr
I'm not fond of it either but have that pattern I want to do someday. Maybe this was just a hard one for a first try. Maybe we can find one that is easier before we give up completely. I'm willing to give it another shot with something easier
I probably will too! LOL That way I can say it hasn't beaten me yet! LOL
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM

I have tried it and I think maybe the cabbage rose was a trifle bit complicated for some of us. I did finnish out beautifully though. (not from personal experience, but from the pictures I have seen) I have a hard time thinking backwards and uside down, so I probably will stick to applique. Some of the better quilters do make it look so easy :lol:
Old 06-06-2007, 11:29 AM

Use big chuncks of fabric and you'll be fine with the PP. Then you have more scraps for the applique part of your life. It's win-win! :lol:

P.S. I like PP and I didn't do that cabbage rose. It had Y-seams. Yuck!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by jessiesmom
Marcella, I am so astonished with your star, I have tried forever to be able to do stars like that, haven't been successful yet. If you have a secret about them, please let us know.

Anyway, your blocks are perfect and beautiful. Mary
Hi, Mary, This is a late answer, because I was out running around with Yvonne who was visiting when I posted that block. I thank you! and also Ceannastahr & SandraJennings, and AnnM, for the nice comments. I am beaming all over the place here!

The answer to your question is that I did paper piece the four quarters of the star (leaving out a couple of pieces to make it more of a "Christmas star".)

What I know about paper piecing (after I make the traditional mistakes each time whilst re-training after coffee-break) is to remember to put the fabrics right sides together, just as in regular sewing. And I fold the pattern back each time along the seam line to be sure there is enough of the next fabric under it to cover the next piece. And after I stitch it, I iron the seam allowance to "set" it and then iron the new piece back over the seam allowance with each addition. It's slow, so I speed things up by making at least two parts at a time, so I can leave one under the presser foot while I press the other.

I like paperpiecing because it ensures that 1/4-inch seam allowance is accurate (and if it is not I will trim the seam allowance after it is sewn & before I iron it!) Anyhow, it makes the block come out the correct size every time, which is a boon & makes me think it is worth the trouble.

I apologize for my tardiness here. Summer has arrived in Seattle & the garden calls! ta-ta for now (ttfn!)
Old 06-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yvonne
Use big chuncks of fabric and you'll be fine with the PP. Then you have more scraps for the applique part of your life. It's win-win! :lol:

go sit in the bowl
:mrgreen:
Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Originally Posted by Yvonne

go sit in the bowl
No, no, no, it's not that she is chicken! Me neither! just... I forced Yvonne & Leslee to make that darned Blazing Star. They haven't recovered just yet! ...that's all. really. Nor have, I, to tell the truth, but I did like the way it came out. No paper piecing, just wonky 4-patches and inset seams... tricky. Took lots of IRONING--I mean Blocking!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-55915.jpe   img_3678.jpg  
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

tee hee hee
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
baby quilt fabric.pdf (184.5 KB, 151 views)