Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 03-01-2014, 06:34 AM

Suggestions #2: This one is very easy and rests the eye even more. I chose 3 colors and cut strips at 2", 1 1/2", and another 2". Sew strips together and attached to your quilt. On this one I put a 4 1/2" by 4 1/2" square in each corner but you don't have to. You could sew the strips around your quilt and if you mitered the corners it would look very nice. I was going to do that but had already cut the length I needed, I sure didn't think far enough ahead to go with that option. [ATTACH=CONFIG]465055[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf1911.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 06:38 AM

Jabba: Your quilt is one of my favorites in this challenge, love the colors. The "resting" round is exactly what I need to stop the eye. What a marvelous work studio and stash. Fun that we get to have a little peek.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:48 AM

Design wall is full with "storm at sea" blocks and hubby was downstairs. Pool table wasn't getting used anymore but it's my cutting table now. Takes up 1 corner of the room but sure is nice to have that much space. Others have asked me to post my sewing area so I will soon, just need to get some projects put away 1st..
Old 03-01-2014, 11:16 AM

WELCOME! TADA! I made it, so sorry for the delay. Like jaba's round mine is also very simple. I chose a piano key with a twist. Your more than welcome to do a row of just plain piano keys (length x width x quantity of blocks using) its very simple. I suggest cutting them in groups if three. Do three strips 6.5 inches in TOTAL WIDTH (ie 2.5 plus 2.5 plus 2.5) equaling a total of 6.5 when sewn together with a nice 1/4 inch seam. Then do an alternate round with three colors (perhaps different!) of the same sizes suggested above. Trim til a perfect 6.5 inches. When trim trim again down the length so you have 6.5 x 6.5 inch strips.. now sew those rounds together with the alternate round (taking turns) until you have a complete strip the length of the block. TADA! you have the option of mitering which in my humble opinion is very hard or simply picking one of the colors in the strip and using that as your corner stones of 6.5 inches. I like the simplicity because it eases up on the eye a bit.

Plan B! ok take your strip: cut center piece 3.5 inches long. Now add a strip on top that is 2.5 inches on top, add another strip on the bottom that is 1.5 inches long. Sew until both sides are attached. NOW trim the strip in 2.5 inch wide strips . NEXT: cut the strips to an exact 6.5 inches varying the sizes so some are larger than others. Sew together to make a final row and you have a dancing piano key strip that is easy yet fun to look at. I took the corners and improvised with a color that was similar to my main color and then added diagonal pieces as shown to make a fan like piece. It was simple, it was easy and I think it look pretty darned cute. So which ever way you go know you have an easy month to work on these two rounds. It took me two 4 hour days to whip up my round, surely some are so much faster that they have it done in half that time but me.. I like to play around, a little bit of this a little bit of that. In the end I like how it stopped my eye for a bit til the next round which will gear things right back up again. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask, send me a PM and glad to help. If you look at my quilt you will get it right away I am sure of it. TADA! how easy is that!!!!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]465072[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465073[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1010420_795792187101616_1654021023_n.jpg   1622812_795791890434979_645320210_n.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 11:17 AM

here is another one I did for another swap I just fell in love with the silly old piano keys

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465074[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 1654322_782233201790848_1420202033_n.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 11:37 AM

What a crazy quilt that second one is, Elizabrat. Fun! I was hoping the piano keys would come along, and here they are. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 AM

That is a border I have never seen before, really different. Looks good on your quilts, so bright & cheery.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:03 PM

thanks ladies I am trying to keep things light and easy and hope I live up to my wishes (not always does this happen btw). It is a bit time consuming? but its also mindless that I really like the ability to just.. sew. I used lots of scraps in every color purple I had amazingly a lot more than I thought I did! I think either way the traditional strip like only vertical strips is lovey and my way a bit more.. fun? off kilter? lol is a nice break. I am thinking of a box in a box next round so gulp stepping up my anti. I figure if I can do it ANYONE can do it its early yet so still a whole month to chicken out and go simple simple again. In the end it is about variety, difference of choices, and hopefully fun. I really am hoping for that most of all.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:38 AM

Elizabrat I love that border. I like the way you did the corners. I was wanting to do this thread, but things have gotten in the way. I still may join in. I need to finish a 4 year old UFO. I didn't have a home for it so I wasn't in a huge hurry to finish it. It is a quilt with all kinds of heirloom techniques in it. I need to finish it for my DS new baby due in early May. I also need to ship it to Japan.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:05 AM

meanmom can't wait to see your finished project. I know we all get caught in the middle of something that must be done and then somethings that we wish were done. I know how that feels completely! It is a wonderous cold morning something like 9 below zero and that is tough. So very thankful today and tomorrow are in days believe I will spend the entire day just.. sewing. oh darned! how marvelous!

on another note I think I owe jan an apology. I am publically making it because well.. I think I messed up again. I know again right? ugh. My memory is not what it used to be and it takes a big person to forgive me for saying things outloud and not thinking really thinking about them first. I didn't and I am sorry. Best that I can do. sigh..