Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Ok, just finished reading everything. Love the samples I've seen. I hope the following aren't dumb questions...I would like to do a baby quilt, so the 48" square would be good for that. Can you just use a pillow panel & make sure it is 12 1/2" square? I have some really cute ones I'd like to use. I might make 2; one for a baby, one for a throw for an adult. About what size would a 18 1/2" center work out to be? And, would that size work for the center? Also, about what size does the 24 1/2" center turn out at the end? Trying to decide what size(s) to make. This is something totally new for me; I have never done anything like this. Thanks for doing this. It's a great way to jump in & learn new things with great friends!

Blog Entries
    Oh sounds fun. Im just might have to do this. Gotta find a panel or something fun for the center. I guess I will have to go to the LQS. I don't know if I will use a panel or make a block. One of the LQS has some really unique fabrics etc. I was just thinking about going there tomorrow.

This sounds like fun. I've never done anything like this. Only time I've done multiple borders was to turn a square into a rectangle. And for that I just did varying width strips of the fabrics in the center. So really all new to me.

count me in too. I've not done a "Medalion" before, and I love the mystery of trying something new. I received a lovely panel in the Secret Santa swap & would like to use it here if the size is right. its a 21 1/2" square.

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    I'll try to answer your questions, hopefully my math is right. m-fay you can certainly use that panel but it would be easier to figure out your borders if you could make the starting size 24 1/2" sq. you can do this by just adding a small border around it. Then it is a divisible number.
    We will come up with 6 rounds, at least we'll try, but again it is your quilt and you can stop anytime that you feel it is large enough for what you want the finished product to be.
    this is an example:

Round 1,3,5 would be 4 1/2" wide unfinished
    Round 2,4,6 would be 6 1/2" wide unfinished

If your center starts out as these sizes finished::
    12"x 12" your quilt will finish at 72"x 72"
    12"x 18" .................................72"x 78"
    12"x 24"..................................72"x 84"
    18"x 18"..................................78"x 78"
    18"x 24...................................78"x 84"
    24"x 24"..................................84"x 84"
    These are finished sizes, so your starting center before any borders would be 12 1/2"x 12 1/2" instead of 12"x 12". I hope I have answered some of the questions, if there's anymore or something I missed just let us know and we'll try to answer.

Are we supposed to have our center block done and ready to add the first border by Jan 1st? Or will we add the first border Feb 1st?
    I want to think about blues and greens but my mind keeps going back to the list I need to make to finish my Christmas shopping. And then the wrapping. And then the cooking. Oh, but blue and green fabric....

Blog Entries
    I am going to follow this thread just to see what you all come up with. I have vowed I can not sign up for anything more until I finished my next project that MUST be done by May 1st. It looks like you are going to have lots of participants and sounds like lots of fun. Jaba...I love that blue/green center you had. I am hoping you go with that one but the orange/southwest one was great, too. Like Brat says...just do two! :-) So excited to see everyone's work in the coming year!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

Oh, I want to play too!!
    We did one of these at the quilt guild a few years ago. It was so much fun. I started with an embroidered center that time (a friend did it for me). There is appliqué, folded fabric, paper piecing, gathered fabric, crazy quilting, tatting, piping, beading..all kinds of fun stuff on there! I can't wait try again.

Here is a picture of mine from last time, it measures about 24" square.

Name:  c5c2fc14d718bac4315c887285101d31.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  440.8 KB

Wyoming in the summer, Florida in the winter
    Blog Entries
    Welcome Suze, nice job and if you have a favorite that you did let us know and we can all do it for one round. Anyone else also, if you have a favorite border, send those ideas along.
    Pam don't stress, get what you have to do done first. If you have the center made okay, if not that's okay too. No time clock or drastic deadline here, you can always catch up. You're on "your own" time clock. Don't think Emma can get all of her center embroidered either, I'm sure she's fast but I don't know about that fast
    If you can post pics, please do so. We love to see ideas of fabric or centers that you are maybe thinking about. It might help someone else choose a design also, the more we share maybe the more we'll learn...WOW now that would be great!! 'cause I got a whole lot to learn.

I' d like to join. I do have a question that may tell you how much of a beginner I am. Is this a quilt that each month when we add to the top design, will we also do the batting and under side - I guess a better question - is this a quilt as you go?
    thanks,
    Scherrie

dd
    I've decided, and I need to stick to that decision. It's going to be a Christmas quilt. The center is going to be log cabin block with applique is the light sections. Yup, that's what I'm gonna do. Figure I can get some good deals on Christmas fabrics this time of year to add to my collection.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Oh wow! Thanks, I would like to try

Jaba: You are so right about the center of mine, will take a while. Kind of want to use the quilt as you go method, the borders would work great for that. Maybe I can applique after it is sandwiched. Also thinking of doing a simpler design for the back so I can see some result. Decisions, decisions. Brat, Jaba thank you so much for doing this, such a great idea!

Where can I see these samples I'm reading about? Only have seen one photo done last year. Told you I was new a this.......:-(
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Babylock Ellegante, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Elna 945
    Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I'd like to go along on this, but probably won't actually make the border just now. Is that permissible?
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

This is not a quilt as you go its simply a quilt top we all will be making. As we go along everyone shows their progress and at the end their finished top. Some who are super fast even post their quilted top. The little quilt shown wow all I can say is those are a whole lot of tiny pieces! very pretty and that is a lovely example of what you can end up with. only much larger. I think this is a free flowing, each month a different challenge and the cool part is there are a couple rounds being suggested each time so you can pick the one that really fits best with your center. The rounds usually are made of smaller blocks 4.5 or 6.5 inch in size so one round might have anywhere from 20 on up blocks in it. this is how you end up with such cool designs that circle your quilt center. Its not difficult to do it just takes a bit of planning and cutting to make something so amazing. The fabrics are all your choice. Use what you have use something new and you can use a whole lot of them or just a few.

January we will be talking about our Centers and giving ideas on patterns and sharing all our photos. I didn't want to start this earlier too few could play. If you are done then your ahead of the game already and can work on your other projects but please chat along with us. We are a great group already and I know the conversations will be lively.

Hope your all enjoying the Winter holidays. I finally got all my ornaments put up and now.. it feels like Christmas. I am so happy with the shining lights, the sparkly ornaments.. the smell of cider on the stove, pecans baking in the oven..those things make the holiday complete for me. Oh happy days!
    Linda
    Here today... why what a lucky bunch we are.

Blog Entries
    I'm in!! I've never done a Medallion quilt! Can't wait to start!

Blog Entries
    Think I will try this too.

Jan, perhaps A & E Pharmacy ??? If so, great store. I think I'm in if I can find my wonderful panel. Retta who is just enjoying the FL weather.

Blog Entries
    I might jump on board. sounds like a good place to share all the left over Christmas goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by jaba View Post
    It's your quilt Emma you could use the larger center is you want a bigger quilt, just make the size divisible by 3 1/2" so your borders will be easier.
    I think I will have to jump in on this one too. It sounds like a lot of fun. When you say divisible by 3.5", is that including the .5 inch seam allowance?

Never done one of these, sounds like fun. I need suggestions for the center.

Ooh - what beautiful fabric. My mother's favorite flower was also lilies of the valley.

Cleodaisy

Quote Originally Posted by Elisabrat View Post
    Attachment 452063

this is one center I have made, a theme based on my Moms favorite things.. memory quilt. these were her favorite flowers.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I'm so dang excited about this I have to toss up a starting pic. I've had Buttons and Blooms Fabric for awhile now, just hanging out and waiting for something to spark. This will be perfect. The panel part I'm going to use will be 18x18.

Name:  buttonbloom2-500x500.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  69.2 KB
    Everything important in my life, like naps, I learned from my dog.
    http://foldedspindledquilted.blogspot.com/

What a darling center!!!

Cleodaisy

Quote Originally Posted by reeskylr View Post
    Ok, I'm so dang excited about this I have to toss up a starting pic. I've had Buttons and Blooms Fabric for awhile now, just hanging out and waiting for something to spark. This will be perfect. The panel part I'm going to use will be 18x18.

Name:  buttonbloom2-500x500.JPG
Views: 422
Size:  69.2 KB

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 53 ... LastLast