Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 12-18-2013, 12:53 PM

Could I start with a rectangular center? I have a Christmas tree panel I'd like to use--I have coordinating FQs to go with it.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:00 PM

MamaHen, Love your block!!!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:54 PM

I have a panel I have been studying for just such a project, so I am in. I will post a picture of the panel after I iron it. My panel is bigger than what you all are using, I do hope that is Ok. I want to see what I can do with it.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:11 PM

You can easily use a rectangular as long as it falls in the divisible by 4.5 and 6.5 so you can get your borders on without being creative. I believe in dragonflynana's round robin there is a rectangular block that was sent around

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t224012.html

check through there she posted her center early on and there are now two rounds on it I believe.

Any questions here can be answered by either Jaba or Myself so feel free to ask away. She is way on top of things, me I am trying hard
Old 12-18-2013, 03:27 PM

mamahen love your center. You could alternatively up it to be divisible by 4.5 (math ugh).. thinking you couldn't be adding much to it.. oh Jan give her that number would you lol.. you guys can laugh I suck at math. its not something I am grand at all and freely admit it. Without good pals like Jaba I would be doomed literally doomed! she always rolls her eyes at me when I ask simple math questions but heck better to ask and get it done right the first time is my motto. There are so many considering joining us we will have a great photo diary here of the quilt tops!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:34 PM

here are a few of the round robins currently going on here on the Quiltingboard. There are some great examples of all the quilts for you to see, most are less than 10 pages long check out the photos to see how they progress. Hopefully this will help you get a good idea of how you want yours to look and to see all the possibilities for your own quilt.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/member-...s-t225916.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t227970.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t224012.html

there are also a few more to check out bluebirds, blue jays and maybe a couple other birds I forget but they are posted in the members swap section. This is what I am working on here except the fun part is we are making our own, learning on OUR own quilt tops lol and well using our own fabrics that we love and no shipping (this adds up).
Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jaba View Post
I'll try to answer your questions, hopefully my math is right. m-fay you can certainly use that panel but it would be easier to figure out your borders if you could make the starting size 24 1/2" sq. you can do this by just adding a small border around it. Then it is a divisible number.
We will come up with 6 rounds, at least we'll try, but again it is your quilt and you can stop anytime that you feel it is large enough for what you want the finished product to be.
this is an example:

Round 1,3,5 would be 4 1/2" wide unfinished
Round 2,4,6 would be 6 1/2" wide unfinished

If your center starts out as these sizes finished::
12"x 12" your quilt will finish at 72"x 72"
12"x 18" .................................72"x 78"
12"x 24"..................................72"x 84"
18"x 18"..................................78"x 78"
18"x 24...................................78"x 84"
24"x 24"..................................84"x 84"
These are finished sizes, so your starting center before any borders would be 12 1/2"x 12 1/2" instead of 12"x 12". I hope I have answered some of the questions, if there's anymore or something I missed just let us know and we'll try to answer.
Thanks Jaba I will add a border & bring it up to 24 1/2" sq.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Right now, I'm dreaming of borders!!! I have made 4 different samples today to make sure they would fit,, my eyes are rolling around in my head gees, and my minor in college was math! Think I forgot a bit, but we'll give it a stab ladies. No computers and such in my day, old fashioned and by hand type math, don't remember calculators either...just to check your work. At least we have conversation and fun. Think I need a nightcap of Kahlua and cream. Any takers? I have plenty

Last edited by jaba; 12-18-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:01 PM

The two border books I have are "60 Pieced Quilt Borders" and "Blocks, Borders, Quilts!" I bought both about a year ago and have pick out lots of borders I like, but haven't tried any yet.

My picture of fabrics ended up being blurry when I got it uploaded to the computer so I will get a better one tomorrow to share.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:42 PM

Mamahen I love that block. What is it called?