Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along! >

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Elisabrat's Medallion Style Quilt Along!

Old 02-14-2014, 04:49 AM

frustrated quilter why not post what you have done so we can help you with it? same with you oksewnsew don't get stuck!

next month is truly a simple round by both of us so not only will it be FAST to do but be a visual eye break so no worries ladies trust us!

the goal of this medallion is to try new things. explore what you have not done before. Learn not to be daunted by borders on future quilts and to have fun. It is not to be ready to toss it all in.. to give up. If you need help its ok to ask for it, if your math isn't working holler we can help honest and not all rounds fit all quilts. If you learn the basics of the math you will find picking your rounds and the sizes you need to use to fit your personal quilt at hand.. its like when you first learned to quilt. You were not perfect (ok maybe you were). This is like that. I am now on the fourth round robin. I am just now GETTING the how to do the math.. slow as heck learner. But I am so happy I have learned it and also the tricks to making a round fit. Its not so hard at after all. WOWSA! lol IF I CAN DO IT SO CAN YOU! and not kidding march will be a kick in full throttle easy time for everyone. TADA!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:50 AM

ps my legs do not get cold in these short skirts because they are not really legs they are more like turkey drumsticks therefore insulated with the highest quality fat. lucky me .. sigh.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:16 PM

I havent started on February's border yet...too much happening, but I'm loving all the postings. Hope to get some done next week.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:22 PM

I could use a little help with mine just to make sure I am thinking clearly. Mine measures 33" square. If I add 1" to each side that will give me 35" which is divisible by 3.5. Do I cut my strips 1 1/4"? I'm getting frustrated, it's getting late and I'm just not thinking clearly anymore.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:05 AM

If I understand correctly, you want a block that is divisible by the size of the finished block in the round. So... If the block in the round is 3 1/2 inches unfinished, it will be 3 inches finished (due to seam allowances). Then, your center should be 36 1/2 inches (the extra 1/2 inch is for the seam allowance). If your block is currently 33 inches, you need to bring it up to 36 1/2 inches. So... Adding 3 1/2 inches means 1 3/4 inches added to each side plus 1/2 inch total for seam allowance. 1 3/4 + 1/2 = 2 1/4 inches added to each side. Please see if others agree with me.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:41 AM

Exactly right hopetoquilt! Without a pic of your center it's a little hard to tell what you have to work with. If you already have just a strip around it then your other option is to cut some off and take it down to 30 1/2". Don't know what border you have chosen to do that you found....not 1 that brat or I have posted which is fine, just be sure your math is right for the border you want to use or you can always opt for a fill-in block in the corners and/or middle of your quilt.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 AM

Default My round 2

Finally got all my friendship stars all rotating in the same direction! The green in the stars could have been a bit brighter but being limited to stash I didn't have a great deal of choice without going scrappy.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-456.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 09:49 AM

pippa--I think the light green looks good...makes your center still shine! You can go a little darker in the next round.

I have my sample star figured out for my 2nd round. I am alternating with a four patch....the 4P are all done, the pp'ing of the stars will take a bit...I have 13 more to make. Should still be able to finish by the end of the month.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:07 AM

Have finally finished my 2nd round.
Attached Thumbnails medallion-quilt-round-2-finished.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 10:34 AM

Beautiful round MamaHen. Those colours really work together.
Pippa