Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Farmere Wife Sampler WEEK4 Blocks 7&8 Discussion page >

Farmere Wife Sampler WEEK4 Blocks 7&8 Discussion page

Farmere Wife Sampler WEEK4 Blocks 7&8 Discussion page

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 AM

I'm doing scrappy for the first time ever--it's really hard for us anal retentive types LOL! I take so long trying to "figure out" what works in a block that I can't imagine trying to figure out sashing and borders. OMG-another thing to obsess about!! I have a feeling I'm going to end up with about 100 potholders instead of a quilt!!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by violetsfarm
Anyone doing the Farmers Wife in scrappy fabrics.... have you thought about what color fabric to use to frame the blocks and borders? I am trying to think ahead with my scrappy "stash" fabrics.
I'm leaning towards Connecting Threads charcoal Mirage but will wait until more blocks are done to see if it still "calls" to me. Whatever I use will also be the backing fabric.
Old 08-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by violetsfarm
Anyone doing the Farmers Wife in scrappy fabrics.... have you thought about what color fabric to use to frame the blocks and borders? I am trying to think ahead with my scrappy "stash" fabrics.

I am doing scrappy and I don't consider color when I do that. I just divide into light light, light, medium and dark.

I don't even think about border or sashings until I have them on the board and then will choose. I have done three blocks today.

I am working on #20 right now.
Old 08-28-2010, 04:57 PM

I am doing scrappy and trying to use similar colors as in the book. I am skipping # 7 right now. Next month we go to Pensacola for a Navy reunion. Hubby and his buddies are taking a day tour to Biloxi. I will not go as gambling to me is as exciting as watching paint dry. So I will stay at the hotel, room or poolside, and handpiece #7, and maybe another one like it. I love to hand piece. If I get bored I can always go own to the bar and pick up some old sailor that didn't go on the trip. (LOLOLOLOL) Quilting sounds better.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by shamrock
I am doing scrappy and trying to use similar colors as in the book. I am skipping # 7 right now. Next month we go to Pensacola for a Navy reunion. Hubby and his buddies are taking a day tour to Biloxi. I will not go as gambling to me is as exciting as watching paint dry. So I will stay at the hotel, room or poolside, and handpiece #7, and maybe another one like it. I love to hand piece. If I get bored I can always go own to the bar and pick up some old sailor that didn't go on the trip. (LOLOLOLOL) Quilting sounds better.
Too funny Shamrock! Good luck and have fun! I admire anyone who hand pieces block #7!
Old 08-29-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
Originally Posted by shamrock
Too funny Shamrock! Good luck and have fun! I admire anyone who hand pieces block #7!
Actually, I admire you folks machine piecing #7,LOL! I think its waaaay easier to handsew something tiny like that than to machine piece it.

I'm skipping 7 for now, too. Well, I've got it in my hand piece basket to do while I'm watching tv with DH.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:22 AM

I have the new catalog, I will look that fabric up. Thanks for responding.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:57 PM

nwquilts- Ronda,
I love your avatar. Is it a pattern you bought? What is the name if you don't mind sharing? what a beautiful colors!
Old 09-02-2010, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by leakus
nwquilts- Ronda,
I love your avatar. Is it a pattern you bought? What is the name if you don't mind sharing? what a beautiful colors!
Thank you Leakus! There is no pattern. I started with the center and worked rounds & then added to the top and bottom. The flowers are paper pieced. I found a pattern a long time ago on the internet for the flower and then drew it into EQ, but will see if I can find it again...
Old 09-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Where do you get the pattern for BOM? I joined a few months ago but so far have done nothing but read all of your emails.