Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Quilt Along Photo Page for Blocks 1 & 2 >

The Farmer's Wife Quilt Along Photo Page for Blocks 1 & 2

The Farmer's Wife Quilt Along Photo Page for Blocks 1 & 2

Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 PM

sewslow - love the colors
Old 08-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Ok, so I really avoid quilts that require templates, but since we were so kindly provided with the rotary cutting directions, I decided to bite the bullet and get started on these blocks. And, using templates along with the rotary cut blocks, I did it!!!! I got blocks 1 and 2 together! I had to get cozy with my unsewer for the attic windows block, but finally got it right. I see that the scanner makes them look like they are a little bit wonky, and they might be, but I am still proud of them. Mine is going to be done scrappy. I got a medium storage baggie full of material cut in rectangles and strips at the thrift store and have been hoping to use them. Don't know if I will have enough to do the entire quilt with these, but hopefully can find similar to add if necessary. If anyone has any pieces of this old Moda line, please PM me (the green is not in the line, but it worked).

Block #1
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91868[/ATTACH]

Block #2
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91869[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91863.jpe   attachment-91864.jpe  
Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM

yes nursie - the blocks do look wonky. I mean - worse than normal! I realized that I wasn't trimming mine - I hope this is right? Is everyone trimming to 6.5 inches square?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by roxannebcb
yes nursie - the blocks do look wonky. I mean - worse than normal! I realized that I wasn't trimming mine - I hope this is right? Is everyone trimming to 6.5 inches square?
I trimmed mine to 6.5, I think that is the correct measurement. I just rechecked my blocks to see if they look as wonky in person...and phew, they don't. Relief!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Suzanne, I like the size of your blocks. I can see them so much better than the tiny ones.

I think we've hit upon something scanning them in! The details come through so much better!

I have that chart from the yahoo group, too, but haven't used it yet, I'm going to go check it out now.

When I put them in the scanner, the lid moves them, and makes them squish up sometimes.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Your finished size (once within the quilt) will be 6 inches.
So if your blocks are 6.5 now you are correct.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:00 PM

The blocks are all so beautiful--the colors are different but they all work. Love them-and everyone's work is great.

Can someone please give some advice on "scrappy". I am very anal and just can't grasp this concept. I've made the first 2 blocks (actually made 2 of each) and I just don't know if I'm doing scrappy right. Is there a common element in all the blocks, i.e., background color, one square or does anything go per block. I have one that is pinks and browns and one that is greens and yellows. No common link. Is this making sense?? I have fabric from one end of my sewing room to the other trying to choose what fabrics to use. Please--some advice for a "scrappy-challenged" quilter LOL. Thanks!!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM

jan RN
I have sent you a p.m. this is a great question, but I'm going to ask you to look below this reply box and try to post questions and discussion to that page and lets try to keep this one for the pictures. the reason for doing this is so they don't get lost within each other and down the road we have to go "fishing" to find them again.

there will be a new pic. thread each week for that weeks blocks, also for the discussion of that weeks blocks
One of my goals is to down the road a bit add a FAQ thread where we address these types of thing each weeks.
thanks,
Muriel
p.s.
if you don't know how to find your private messages, scan up to the very top of this page, where it says something like
Home, chat, user list etc. and click on private messages.
thanks,
Muriel
Old 08-04-2010, 06:54 PM

Hi All, I put my blocks in the wrong thread and I can't figure out how to make it smaller. All the Blocks look great and I'm so glad we finally started. I'm anxious to see more. I love all the color combinations. Here are my blocks. Anne

Block # 1 Attic Windows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91888[/ATTACH]

Block # 2 Autumn Tints
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91889[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-91883.jpe   attachment-91884.jpe  
Old 08-04-2010, 07:04 PM

THOSE ARE INCREDIBLE!!!
I LOVE your blocks Honchey!