Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4 >

The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4

The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4

Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by leakus
OMG!!! Tell me please there is no another basket to do!! I am really trying to PP but it is very challenging- not sure if it is me or the technique. By the time I finished it (used my seam ripper 3 times!) I coudn't think of applique the handle by hand. I ended up machine appliqueing it. I also think I should have use a different thread color but I am no doing it again!!
I have yet to do #4!
Beautiful basket. I love your colors.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM

A hint for the basket....
"Behind" the basket handle, erase the lines that make a square in the corner. Now, draw a straight line across the top of the basket, between the handle and the basket itself.
You now have two main sections of the block. The basket, which should be fairly straight forward to piece and a larger triangle with the basket handle.
Applique your basket handle onto the triangle, then sew the triangle to the basket.

Much easier. And the way the corner square dips "into" the edge of the basket bothers me, for some reason. <G>

Pati, in Phx
Old 08-16-2010, 06:31 PM

Leakus, your block is very pretty! Don't give up yet on paper piecing...sometimes it take a while to really "get it"? When I first started, I made soooo many mistakes...I was unpicking more than I was sewing and ws throwing away fabric and patterns right and left...said I hate PPing! Didn't touch it for a few years...came back a few years ago and it "clicked" and now it's one of my favorite things to do.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
Leakus, your block is very pretty! Don't give up yet on paper piecing...sometimes it take a while to really "get it"? When I first started, I made soooo many mistakes...I was unpicking more than I was sewing and ws throwing away fabric and patterns right and left...said I hate PPing! Didn't touch it for a few years...came back a few years ago and it "clicked" and now it's one of my favorite things to do.
That's encouraging. I haven't done it for several years; I was not fond of it when I tried it then, but might attempt again on some of these FWS blocks with tiny triangles.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:08 PM

OMG!!! Tell me please there is no another basket to do!!
There is another basket. A traditional basket with another applique handle. It's many weeks away though. I went ahead and made both at the same time.

Your block is lovely.
Old 08-16-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by weezie
That's encouraging. I haven't done it for several years; I was not fond of it when I tried it then, but might attempt again on some of these FWS blocks with tiny triangles.
Weezie, I haven't given up yet due to the encouragement I have received here. If I can do it, so you can.
Thanks rwquilts, I know you are watching me!
#4 should be the ideal for PP as it is all retangles. Not sure how to use the foundation pp when attaching the different units together. I'll try again.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:44 AM
PJL

I wish I was a full time quilter!
Andrea (Margate, FL)

That's my dream too!!!!
Peggy (MN)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by weezie
Weezie, I haven't given up yet due to the encouragement I have received here. If I can do it, so you can.
Thanks rwquilts, I know you are watching me!
#4 should be the ideal for PP as it is all retangles. Not sure how to use the foundation pp when attaching the different units together. I'll try again.
Leakus, units go together the same as regular pieces of a block...only you keep the paper on til all the seams are stitched...just match up seams and pin and stitch in the order that makes sense construction-wise... :lol: You can do this!!!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:55 AM

Ok, here are my blocks 3 and 4. I've been trying the template method, but the basket weave came out all wonky. Probably not a good idea to hand stitch while one is riding in the car. I redid it using Honchey's rotary cut measurements; much better. My points on the basket aren't perfect, but I think ok for now.

Faithful member of the slackers group

Patricia
Attached Thumbnails attachment-98609.jpe   attachment-98610.jpe  
Old 08-17-2010, 09:05 AM

This group has been such an inspiration to me. I'm finding "my" way of doing blocks like these. I've stayed far away from complex piecing because I just didn't know what method to use. I'm discovering that each block has a "best" way for me. Some I suspect I will try templates first and others go right to Honchey's rotary cut instructions. I haven't tried machine piecing. Looks very confusing to me. I think I shall try though. The best part is throwing out the one that didn't work and going to another method and have it work. I wouldn't have done this in the past. I would have simply thown it in the corner and given up; too hard for me. Now I want to finish the block no matter what so I can post it :lol:

Great work everyone! Our blocks are beautiful!! We rock!! (as my grandson would say)