Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4 >

The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4

The Farmer's Wife Sampler, photo page for Week 2 , Blocks 3 and 4

Old 10-24-2011, 01:57 PM

Love the colors on this one!
Originally Posted by Darcene
Block three---I had better be careful or I might lose my status as a slacker.....but I have not started block four....

Darcene

For some reason the scan made the background a weird pink tint....it is actually a medium cream tone......now time for some serious slacking........
Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM

Blue Bell is fine.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Power Poster

Here's the CW Blocks 3 and 4. I hand appliqued the basket handle, I don't HA very often so this was interesting to do on the bias in the arc. I ran a gathering stitch on the inner part of the arc; really helped.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276658.jpe  
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Here's the CW Blocks 3 and 4. I hand appliqued the basket handle, I don't HA very often so this was interesting to do on the bias in the arc. I ran a gathering stitch on the inner part of the arc; really helped.
great Idea! I never thought about doing that. An easy way of easing in the fullness.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty!

That was my first HA ... I stitched the bias together like a tube (wrong sides together), and then slid it in under for the wrong side. Then tackled it with the iron to create the arc. Right or wrong??
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Very pretty!

That was my first HA ... I stitched the bias together like a tube (wrong sides together), and then slid it in under for the wrong side. Then tackled it with the iron to create the arc. Right or wrong??
Whatever method the two of you used, your baskets look lovely!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Very pretty!

Whatever method the two of you used, your baskets look lovely!
Thanks Evie ... honestly, I do want to learn ... so what I did, is it a proper technique? or a huge quilting faux-pas?
Old 10-25-2011, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

QuiltE's method sounds like it would keep the strip an even width. You may notice mine is a little fatter on the left side. One could still use the gathering stitch with her method.

PS I think there's more than one way to skin a cat; as long as it works and looks good go for it.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Power Poster

QuiltE's method sounds like it would keep the strip an even width. You may notice mine is a little fatter on the left side. One could still use the gathering stitch with her method.

PS I think there's more than one way to skin a cat; as long as it works and looks good go for it.
ouch, for the poor puddy-tat!
Yes, it did keep it together nicely ... and the spray of water before I started to press the arch probably didn't do any harm.
Just wasn't sure if it was good or bad to machine stitch what wasn't showing.
And yes, I know there are "no rules"!!! :)
Old 11-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal View Post
Thank You Evie, I have been wanted a black/white/red with a hint of silver quilt for a long time. I joined this site just a little over a month ago and I saw this BOM and was in awe, so i got the book & here I am. Its exciting seeing it come to be! TY again for the kind words
Your b/w/r is going to be so striking. Don't know if yo have see Evie's b/r/ and cream blocks. Just lovely, too.