Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION >

FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

FEB 15 2011 STARS BOM - DIRECTIONS AND DISCUSSION

Old 02-15-2011, 07:50 AM

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's stars. Don't forget to post on the picture thread for February:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-99903-1.htm

And if anyone has problems when working on this star, let us know. I'm sure someone will be able to answer all questions.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:27 AM

This star is beautiful, thank you, can't wait to get started.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM

Me too.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM

could you show us a picture of the "back" of your block, to give us a better idea (i'm a newbie) of how we should press the seams?
Originally Posted by JudyG
The February Star BOM is an original design by Jerrie1940. It is a beautiful paperpieced star which you can download here.

If you are new to paperpiecing, you might want to go to Quilter’s Cache and try their paperpiecing tutorial. You can find it here:
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

Jerrie 1940 has attached a cutting list, which is very helpful. The star looks much more complicated than it really is. You do need to make four of each pattern. The only tricky part at all was to make sure that you start the #5 piece on each piece high enough that it would cover the corner of the pattern. Other than that, things went together quite well. There are a lot of seams that come together in this star and I found that it worked much better to press all center seams open (the seam sewing each block together and the seams sewing the blocks to each other).
I hope everyone has fun with this one.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM

yorkiemom gave me a good tip on PP, don't cut your fabric to size just cut it to aworkable size and then sew and trim to a 1/4 seam allowance AFTER you've sewn it, especially on the angles I could never get it sewn right, after I tried it her way it worked like a charm. I just started doing PP with the Jan House BOM. Now I've done 6 and it gets easier with each on. The last two were after yorkiemom's tip and it went sooo much smoother lol
Originally Posted by WonkyWanda
Oh my goodness! Just what I feared! Paper Piecing! UGH! I have been avoiding learning how to do this because it looks so complicated! Well, I have joined this BOM to learn new techniques and I even bought new bright fabric to stretch myself even further. (I tend to like muted colors). So, off I go to try this. Wish me luck!
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by davidwent
wow, I think this is way above my skill level
David
David, this star really isn't difficult at all. I did it two different ways to see what worked well. The first I did as regular paperpiecing (of which I am not a big fan) and then I did it using the freezer paper method where you fold the pattern on the stitching lines and then sew right next to the paper. There is no paper to be removed and I found it worked lots better for me. I found a tutorial for those who haven't done the freezer paper method that you might want to look at. It is at

http://www.twiddletails.com/store/in...age=page&id=21

The only tricky part I found with this star is that when you stitch the #5 pattern piece you need to make sure that it is high enough to cover the point of the star or you'll be doing some reverse sewing (ask me how I know!). As a matter of fact, when cutting your strips for this star, I think I would cut that #5 piece just a little bit longer than Jerrie's instructions.

Also, when sewing the pieces together into the blocks, I pressed the seams open and it helped a lot with all the fabric coming together in the middle.

Other than that, it was an easy star to make, not nearly as hard as it looks.
I just saw at my guild meet ,the freezer paper method. I may try that method with this pattern.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Well it is finally time for BOM #2, will work on it this afternoon. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
could you show us a picture of the "back" of your block, to give us a better idea (i'm a newbie) of how we should press the seams?
The February Star BOM is an original design by Jerrie1940. It is a beautiful paperpieced star which you can download here.

If you are new to paperpiecing, you might want to go to Quilter’s Cache and try their paperpiecing tutorial. You can find it here:
http://www.quilterscache.com/StartQu...tingthree.html

Jerrie 1940 has attached a cutting list, which is very helpful. The star looks much more complicated than it really is. You do need to make four of each pattern. The only tricky part at all was to make sure that you start the #5 piece on each piece high enough that it would cover the corner of the pattern. Other than that, things went together quite well. There are a lot of seams that come together in this star and I found that it worked much better to press all center seams open (the seam sewing each block together and the seams sewing the blocks to each other).
I hope everyone has fun with this one.
Short and Sweet, here's a picture of the back of my freezer paper pieced star. It's really hard to see anything, but if you look closely, you'll see where I pressed open the seams where I sewed Part A to Part B of each of the four blocks and pressed the seams open . (This is the diagonal seam from the corner of each block). Then you can also see where I pressed open the seams where I sewed the blocks together (vertical and horizontal seams). It really reduces the bulk in the very center of the star, which helps a lot.

Back of Star (Note seams pressed open)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]156649[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-156644.jpe  
Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM

I thought this was going to be a fun block of the month how is this thing going to fit in with the Jan 15th block??????
Old 02-15-2011, 01:37 PM

I'm having trouble printing the directions/pattern.
My printer does not like the color I guess!
I only print in grayscale and the lines seem to be too light so only a blob here and there is printing.
Interesting.
I'm also making 6" stars instead of 12".
I'm trying to get it sized on my monitor then I will just trace it off that I guess but I seem to be able to only go from 50% to 33.3%.
I'll keep trying.
It's a lovely pattern.