Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The FWS 30's Quilt-Along week 3 Blocks Anne & April

The FWS 30's Quilt-Along week 3 Blocks Anne & April

Alright ladies, Let's all see what you've been sewing this past week.. I chose totally different colors for April..To me April is usually a cool month so I chose cool colors.. I know it has nothing to do with the woman's name, I just thought of it that way. So here we go!!!

The blue in April is showing more purple to me and the green is too yellow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Here is my blocks for week 3
    Name:  5 & 6 30's 006.JPG
Views: 835
Size:  153.2 KB
    Name:  5 & 6 30's 007.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  136.5 KB
    GrannyQ

Blog Entries
    I really like the blocks that everyone has shown. Every ones color placements are a joy to look at.
    Welcome to all the new gals that have joined us in the 30's quilts.
    In answer to JanRN's question of how many green fabrics I have. I purchased 26 new ones and i have about 8 or 10 old pieces of green. When I like a fabric I usually buy 1 yard and if I really like it I might buy 2 or 3 yards. This way if I run out of fabric I can always add more any where in the quilt and not mess with the balance. In previous quilts I have run out of some fabric, and I can't find anymore to go with it, so I switched to more monochromatic colors
    GrannyQ

Beautiful blocks, ladies. Perfect, which mine are not, but here they are:Name:  1-DSCN0218.JPG
Views: 782
Size:  91.7 KBName:  1-DSCN0220.JPG
Views: 808
Size:  64.2 KB

I threw back the quilt on my bed and took the pictures; they really aren't as crooked as they look. I will try to take better pictures next time.

GrannyQ, your blocks are so vibrant! Pretty greens

QNS, I think that your blocks will look fine after they've been pressed..We know about your eye problems and it amazes me that you can make them..it takes a lot of effort on your part

Love everyone's blocks! Here's Anne and April --

Name:  FW-5-640.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  268.3 KB

Name:  FW-6-640.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  269.1 KB

Thanks, Anne, but it was poor photograph taking this morning with too much going on here. Love those colors of your blocks, and GrannyQ;s and CookiyIN. It is sooo much fun watching everyone's posting of their blocks, the colors just dance on each block. Eye candy for sure!

Here are my two for this week:
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

It looks like we all had trouble matching the points on one of the outer rings. No matter what I did, I couldn't match the edges of the outer ring on my first one. I was surprised when the other three rings didn't give me trouble too.

Great blocks, everyone! QNS, I love that yellow plaid with the blue flowers and I agree -- it's hard to find a place to put the blocks to get a good picture, particularly if the photographer is me. Here are mine:
    ~

If there is anything wrong with anyone's block, I cannot see it. Love your colors, JeanieG, and Katybob. I was working on a new album in Picasso and distracted somewhat, trying to get the FW1930 album going for this new thread. I ended up taking all new pictures of what I have finished so far...and they all look better than what I posted. It is a challenge with one eye to 'achieve' a balance but I try. How do get two blocks, together, in a picture, Katybob?

I take my pictures with a little Olympus digital point-and-click camera with the zoom button on.

What great blocks, everyone--love the variety of colors. All are so well done. Here are mine for this week.Name:  5 & 6.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  502.2 KB
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Oh, JanRN, that Anne is sooooo beautiful....love that color in that block! April looks great in your greens also.

Blog Entries
    OK ladies I finally got my book, worked all weekend trying to do catch up, but only finished 2 blocks, I really don't like them at all seems really off so did them again, just not right, wondering if I should give up on the pp and try to use the templets instead, is that any easier, I have joined another group of ladies who will be doing the same quilt but it doesn't start till Sept. Most of those that have been practicing already have been using the templets (on sale at JoAnn's this week) what do u think, also a friend of mine says it maybe my thread that seems to have things out of whack, can I ask what kind of thread u use?
    Teri Lynn

Blog Entries
    I'm with grannyQ...I enjoy seeing everyone's blocks..color and fabric choices changes the look of each pattern..Great job ladies.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Teri, You need to post a photo of what you've done so far in order for us to see what the problem is..we'd like to help you with your out of whack blocks.

Jan, Katybob, Jeanie, Cooky, Thanks so much for all the eye candy...Wonderful blocks! Every time I saw the "Anne" pop up I had to re read it 'cause I thought the words were directed to me.. Especially Nina saying "Anne is soooooooooo beautiful"..I was ready to respond "Thank You very much Nina!!

Here are my Anne and April blocks...one is a little blurry, sorry didn't realize it until it was uploaded.

Quote Originally Posted by TPr9258 View Post
    OK ladies I finally got my book, worked all weekend trying to do catch up, but only finished 2 blocks, I really don't like them at all seems really off so did them again, just not right, wondering if I should give up on the pp and try to use the templets instead, is that any easier, I have joined another group of ladies who will be doing the same quilt but it doesn't start till Sept. Most of those that have been practicing already have been using the templets (on sale at JoAnn's this week) what do u think, also a friend of mine says it maybe my thread that seems to have things out of whack, can I ask what kind of thread u use?
    Are you sure it is the current FWS 30's quilt? There are two other FWS books, and I think there were templates made for one of them. I looked at JoAnn's website and I could not find any templates.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Love seeing everyone's blocks; I couldn't choose a favorite if I had to!

JanRN, Your April shows the pattern great! I like the dark/light look you used. I wasn't keen on the pattern until I saw your block. I think I'm going to copy your idea. :-)

Thanks ladies for the compliments. I'm still not 100% sold on batiks but I have so many I'm determined to use them.

I'm getting a little nervous--never thought I'd want to work with 30s fabrics but the blocks you ladies have done have me rethinking that. Just what I need to do--buy MORE fabric!! Great blocks everyone.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

I agree cooky, I love to see what everyone else is doing! Well after resisting the use of templates, I finally broke down and decided to do it last night after ripping out yet another seem because the piece I cut didn't fit. Boo. So during some slow time at work today, I printed out the templates for Anne and cut the rest of my fabric for her. Didn't bring enough to do the same with April, but I can at least cut out and organize my template pieces so the fabric cutting will be easier.
    Jenny B

Good Morning Ladies,
    I'm new with the FW, mine is a 221 & the year is 1954 I would like to know about those FW 30's patterns. How can
    I find these? I see a group might start in Sept. I might want to do these sq's. Help Please.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast