Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FWS Discussion Page Week 3 Blocks 5&6

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nonnie
    I'm having a big problem, I need someone who is familiar with Quilt Assistant to help me.

I drew the block for Bat Wings into Quilt Assistant. Now I have a great looking replica of the block. When I go to Print, I click on Paper Piecing.

First problem: In the drop down block next to Print: it says "All 4 Shapes" and there is no other option. In the design mode, I have clicked on each separate shape and it has shown an outline of that full shape, so there should be 9 shapes.

Second problem: I click on full preview and it comes up with a page of assorted diagonal, vertical and horizontal lines that are all part of the block, but none of them are connected. They're not in the right space (they don't look like my block).

Argghhh! :evil: What is going on? What did I do wrong? And how do I fix it?????

If this helps at all, I have twitchy fingers. While I'm trying to get to the spot to start a line on the edge of the square (because I used Honchey's measurements to know where to draw the lines) I sometimes twitch and click the right or left button. Would that affect how the block is perceived?)
    Where is says, "4 shapes," is under paper piecing. There should actually be only 3 PP shapes but for some reason the program is putting one of the shapes separate :thumbdown:

Here is how you fix that. Remove the coorect line and draw a line like this [ignore the big purple blob]
    [IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...uy/thisone.jpg[/IMG]

Draw you correct line again like this,
    [IMG]http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...uy/thisone.jpg[/IMG]

Now, remove the wrong line. Now when you hit PP full preview it should say 3 pieces. This is what you need to print because Bat Wings has to be made in 3 parts and then be sewn together.

As for the second problem, I am not sure what you mean. You may want to try checking all the boxes on the "Templates" page and see if that helps.

Good Luck!

I edited this so that the pictures have a big purple blob over them and the lines are not true, I hope this is not a copyright infringment as that is most certainly not my intent.

Do you have the rotary cutting instructions for 5& 6? thanks. I hope you will be doing this for all the blocks as I hate using templates, thanks again!!!

Do you have the rotary cutting instructions for 5& 6? thanks. I hope you will be doing this for all the blocks as I hate using templates, thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen charnell
    There ia a separate thread for the Rotary instructions every week. They are under the heading "Blocks of the month and Week" .

Thanks to everyone who answered my question about Quilt Assistant! You're the best!! I got my paper foundation printed out and am ready for the weekend when I can work on it!

Woo Woo.. it's week three~~~ :)

:( wait, I already did week three. I need week four!

I just created week 4 under BOM/BOW
    Muriel

Woo woo Week 4 is here!!! Thanks Muriel~!

I've tried making this block at least five times, and still I can't get it right. . . I'm giving up and saying enough is enough and this is the best I can do!

FWS # 5 Bat Wing
    Name:  Attachment-104320.jpe
Views: 19
Size:  86.8 KB

The "best I can do" is pretty durn good. I like it.

Thank you! I appreciate your post! Even if I did put this in the wrong thread. . . :oops:

Junepot, I haven't made my bat wings yet, but you've inspired me! I can't see a speck wrong, even on a horse at a slow, slow walk! The fabrics are great too!

Thank you Quilting Nonnie! I thing the point in the middle should be sharper, and try as I might, I just can't get it. Oh, Well.

lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Junepot
    Thank you Quilting Nonnie! I thing the point in the middle should be sharper, and try as I might, I just can't get it. Oh, Well.

lol!
    Place a pin thru the point of the fabric and then thru to the center of the seam of the fabric you want to join it to. then slide the fabrics of both all the way up to the head of the pin . place pins on both sides of the pin you just pushed thru the point and the seam. You should now have the point at the center of the section you want to join it to.

Wow, that's a very cool tip . . . thanks again! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Junepot
    Wow, that's a very cool tip . . . thanks again! :D
    Whenever you need to find the center of any block--piece-strip etc. Just fold it in half either pin it, mark it with pencil or crease it

ok, is there anyone who can tell me what size to put the triangles for traigulations with the big dipper? I think I want to try that (and it might save time and aggrivation), but cannot for the life of me figure it out.

Honchey a friend and I are late starters on the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt. I like rotary cutting much better than templates. I noticed that you have put rotary cutting instructions out for these blocks. I've found a few but not many. Where can I get them? BTW love the area in which you live in NC. If I'm not mistaken when we visit my sister and niece in New Bern we go through that area.

cheleifet, try the archive section for FWSQ. Last time I checked they were there. Yes, Honchey's rotary instructions are wonderful, and it was so nice of her to do it for that quilt construction. Sorry, I have not seen your post until now, you can PM any of us on that trail ride, and I believe anyone would answer you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2