Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree" >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree"

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree"

Old 04-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Great colors in your block, Carriem-nice contrast. I love the background fabric you used. Good job!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
It's a dark starry sky over "Alabama" (some bling in that black) ... while the sun shines in the orchard to ripen those last green ones in the "Apple Tree"

I'm always curious ... is there any significance to this block's design and the state?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]326048[/ATTACH]
Oh such beautiful blocks QuiltE, that yellow just works with everything!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by carriem View Post
Here is my Alabama block. I have Apple Tree cut but haven't felt up to sewing yet this week...at least everything is ready when I am!

Carrie
I love those colors Carrie, you quilt is going to be beautiful!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 PM

Oh Carrie & QuiltE, Yall continue ta wow me! Such great blocks. I didn't make Apple Tree, so I'm even more in awe of ya'll. Good Job!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

CarrieM .... lovely lovely!

Once again, Y'all have me blushing with your many kind words. I really appreciate them!

DublB ... The apple tree should be patriotic. Didn't the apple fall on someone? George Washington?

JanRN ... and here I thought you patriotic Americans would be able to tell me! Maybe all the roads in Alabama are all square and straight?

JeanieG ... actually the yellow is difficult in someways ... light fabrics just don't go with it, unless I can get them surrounded by dark, and there haven't been many opportunities for that yet. I'm hoping they come ... as I have some fabrics that just aren't playing into the blocks because of the yellows. (such as some really nice grey and rust horseshoes sitting on a cream background!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM

JeanieG ... actually the yellow is difficult in someways ... light fabrics just don't go with it, unless I can get them surrounded by dark, and there haven't been many opportunities for that yet. I'm hoping they come ... as I have some fabrics that just aren't playing into the blocks because of the yellows. (such as some really nice grey and rust horseshoes sitting on a cream background!

However, you are doing a great job of picking out the correct colors to go with the yellow. They are just turning out fabulously!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM

CarrieM .... lovely lovely!

Once again, Y'all have me blushing with your many kind words. I really appreciate them!

DublB ... The apple tree should be patriotic. Didn't the apple fall on someone? George Washington?

JanRN ... and here I thought you patriotic Americans would be able to tell me! Maybe all the roads in Alabama are all square and straight?

Yeah, There is a rumor that George Washington cut down a cherry tree when he was a kid. When his father asked him about it he said "I can not tell a lie, I did it." There is no proof that this happened but it is still a good story. However I can't make an apple tree with my fabrics. They just looked awful! Maybe I'm too literal but I didn't like it.

I also wondered about how state blocks got their names.

I know that you are havin' trouble with that yellow fabric but it is coming out beautiful! I really like your blocks!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Power Poster

*blush*
Thanks
JeanieG and DublB ... for reassuring me! I know I didn't get the contrast right in the Basket of Flowers tonight. Just not enough punch for the basket to show above and beyond! Though, I can't blame that on the yellow. I hope I can get more of my yellow print worked into the mix. I thought it'd be great to fussy cut, then learned two lessons on that one! One, that the individual pics are a little large for a lot of the block pieces. And 2nd, that the pics are too close together that a lot gets wasted when I do fussy cut. Oh, but that's all part of my goals in doing this quilt!!

DublB ... that's it, it was a Cherry Tree that he cut down!!! Can you tell I don't know American history very well?

Maybe someone, someday will tell us how the blocks got designed and named for the States.
I've never heard of us having blocks named after our provinces!
Old 04-07-2012, 08:34 PM

DublB ... that's it, it was a Cherry Tree that he cut down!!! Can you tell I don't know American history very well?
Most American don't know that much anymore, & those who do think that it is solid fact. Hmmm Don't get me started on our school system! The fact that you knew any of it & your from Canada is great! If I had made the Apple Tree block I would have made it into a "cherry' tree.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

I didn't have apple fabric for a long time and couldn't find any so I almost made it into a cherry tree, as I had some of that. Now you made me think of what might have been a better fabric ... small leaves with sky showing thru, and yellow fruit!!! Maybe? I should make it again ..... or maybe there'll be another tree to use it on?