Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree" >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree"

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Photo Page Week 2 "Alabama & Apple Tree"

Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel View Post
QuiltE you should be so proud of yourself for that one I lived in AL for several years... and found this song to be one of the many endearing quirks Soooo many versions of a wonderful romantic song!

Thanks DDamsel ... I'm glad that I "accidentally" got those stars in there! Now if you could only explain the design of the block and why it's called Alabama (and of course, all the other state blocks and their origins)!!

I'll just *pout* that no one ever created provincial blocks here!
Old 04-10-2012, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Thanks DDamsel ... I'm glad that I "accidentally" got those stars in there! Now if you could only explain the design of the block and why it's called Alabama (and of course, all the other state blocks and their origins)!!

I'll just *pout* that no one ever created provincial blocks here!
Maybe you can be the designer of a quilt block for your province. What is the old quote, "Be the answer, not the problem"?...or something like that.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gardnergal970 View Post
Maybe you can be the designer of a quilt block for your province. What is the old quote, "Be the answer, not the problem"?...or something like that.

I know, I know!!!
... or the other way it might be said, of course, with less diplomacy .... Put up or shut up!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Ah such great little tidbits of info flitting across the airwaves!
QE your yellow has really turned into the grounding fabric of you quilt. Nice blocks as ususal. OBTW--look at your basket block on the thread. You will see a wonderful contrast with the bright purple fabrics falling into the basket. The background fabric supports the contrast. Try not to overthink the blocks
In the non quilt world, I find yellow to be a funny color to work with. If you paint your walls yellow color changes depending on time of day, but I still love the warmth and sunnieness of it. Dirt shows easily on it, worse than other lighter colors--ask me how I know!! My yellow bath towels so pretty when new have gradually faded to a dingy dull color.
It was Sir Iscac Newton who developed the idea of gravity with the apple falling from the tree.
Not sure about Alabama but most roads in Iowa are on square miles all neatly dividing the farms into nice neat parcels until you get to my corner of the state and yikes be prepared to get lost! Hills, rocks, rivers etc are not conducive to the neat and orderly ideas of men.

And Carrie, your apple tree has great contrast with such pretty fabrics.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

Ha! I know what you mean about grid system or not, OKSGlad ... the area where I was raised, and lived for the first part of my married life, was all grid system. A road went straight and continued NORTH forever! or W/E/S!!! One concessions was 7/8 mile, and 8 lots to 3 miles. So you could easily figure out the distance from one place to the other.

Then we moved ... the roads in one township go on angles, another straight, and another will be all over the place! Hey, we had rivers and trees and rocks in our old community, so why couldn't this area get it right? *giggles* Heck they were all surveyed within a few years of each other. And are only abou 30 miles apart!

The nearby city is still a nightmare for a newcomer ... for years, I had to stop and think when I was going from one side/end to the other ... where they just do not link because of the rivers. And there are several intersections in the city, with five or MORE roads that meet. Talk about confusion!!!!!

Yellow is indeed a funny colour to work with ... like most, so many different hues. It can look very effective, but if you get the wrong shade/tone/hue ... it's ghastly!!! Ask me how I know? a dining room that became so undesirable to eat in!!! It's now wallpapered ... and I do love it!

Friends who restored an old farmhouse, used yellow in the kitchen. It was beautiful. They said that to get yellow right, you had to "build it" with layers. They had seven. Unbelievable!!!! but I can't argue the results.

I thought about it later ... that it was Newton and gravity for the apple tree. And Washington for the cherry tree!

About the overthinking ... yes, I can do that ... and know from FWS that it all works in the end. At first I wasn't in love with the basket, though am liking it more and more ... the subtlety from the yellow to the garden print, with the dark shining out!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM

I really dont know what the AL block stands for... my first thought was maybe RR tracks???

the roads in AL are anything BUT straight, there is literally 100's of ways to get to one place, I got lost every time I went somewhere!!! but OH THE TREASURES found on back country roads

I think It would be wonderful to do a STATE quilt! I have seen several, but not quite what I wanted, a Quilt that has a name block from each of the 50. wouldn't that be GREAT??? (ideas are contagious)
Old 04-10-2012, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

I've seen several patterns, DDamsel ... though as a Canuck, I didn't pay a lot of attention! Sorry!!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 AM

Is there a block for every state? I wasn't sure.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Is there a block for every state? I wasn't sure.

Here's a couple from a quick google search ......... Might be ideas for your substitution blocks!

http://www.dlstewart.com/clipart5.htm
http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/7939.asp
Old 04-10-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Here's a couple from a quick google search ......... Might be ideas for your substitution blocks!

http://www.dlstewart.com/clipart5.htm
http://www.bellaonline.com/subjects/7939.asp
Oh cool!! Thanks! I noticed that these are different from each other. That's the way it works. Not many standards. No quilt police!