Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB QUILT-ALONG   Week 1 Discussion Page   A Beauty & A Dandy >

THE FWS PONY CLUB QUILT-ALONG Week 1 Discussion Page A Beauty & A Dandy

THE FWS PONY CLUB QUILT-ALONG Week 1 Discussion Page A Beauty & A Dandy

Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM

QuiltE
I would not run the freezer paper thru your laser printer. You are correct it will get too hot and melt the wax. If you have an inkjet that will work fine as it does not use heat to set the ink.

Warmest Regards
Crystal
Old 01-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cwessley View Post
QuiltE
I would not run the freezer paper thru your laser printer. You are correct it will get too hot and melt the wax. If you have an inkjet that will work fine as it does not use heat to set the ink.

Warmest Regards
Crystal
Welcome to the Quilting Board and the Pony Club!
Yes, DublB confirmed that earlier, as well. Some day I will have an inkjet, but for now, only the laser in my office.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Good evening ladies

I am a brand new quilter. I sewed my 1st quilt top on Christmas break and can't wait to finish it. I had never sewn before this so I am thrilled. My girlfriend and I plan to start this quilt next week. Thanks for this awesome thread.

Quick question what does PP stand for? Is there a place I where all the abbreviations are located?
Thanks for bearing thru all my questions.

Warmest Regards
Crystal
Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

PP = Paper Piecing

I'm going to put up a thread in the next few days with an extensive list. I'll try to remember to let you know when I do, but just in case I forget, please watch for it!

Be sure to check all the threads for the PC ... each week there are two, one for the photos, and one for general discussion. A good way to find them is here ...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/sitemap/f-9.html

The first four that are up are items #1, 2, 5 and 6 in that list. If more BOM/BOW threads are started they will shift down. Look for Pony Club in all of the thread titles to find them now and in the future. HOnchey posts the new ones every Tuesday night.

Again, Welcome ... and good luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Default TFWPC QUILT/ BLOCK 1, A beauty/help

Hello All, Well I got all the pieces cut out and have no idea how to put them together. Can anyone explain it or point me in the direction of a tutorial. I know this is the one with the dreaded "Y" seams. Thanks so much!!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:10 PM

Default TFWPC QUILT/ BLOCK 1, A beauty/help

It's me again. I've never pieced with templates. Do I draw around the template on the right side of the fabric or the wrong side. Thanks!!!!!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Termi, I can't help much with Y-seams; I got mine done half by machine and half by hand. I googled y-seam quilting tutorials on line and followed the instructions as best I could. Still very confused by y-seams.

As for templates, I made my whole FWS quilt and am doing Pony quilt with templates. I trace around the template with a very sharp pencil on the right side of the fabric. This way when some of them call for template A and template AR (reversed) they come out correctly. This is the way I learned to quilt looooong ago, and it worked for me. Good luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 03:38 PM

Laurie recommended that you print the templates on card stock. This gives you a better edge to draw around the template. You can cut the template either on the solid line or the slotted line. If you cut the template on the solid line, you need a very accurate 1/4" seam allowance or accurate 1/4" sewing foot. If you cut the template on the slotted line, after you trace around the template you need to ADD a 1/4" seam allowance. In other words you would cut 1/4" from the line you traced. You would then sew on the line you marked (slotted line). I hope that makes sense and helps!

Last edited by JeanieG; 01-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Jeanie, what's the slotted line? I've been printing out the templates, gluing them on old patient file folders and cutting them out on the outer black line that I trace and then cut on. Am I doing something wrong? I'll admit, when I did FWS all my blocks were 1/4" smaller than they were supposed to be; I thought it was my sewing. Now, I think I missed something. I didn't see a slotted line when I printed out Pony Club templates either. Help, Jeanie!! Termi, wait for Jeanie's answer--I may be wrong and if so, I'm sorry!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Jeanie, what's the slotted line? I've been printing out the templates, gluing them on old patient file folders and cutting them out on the outer black line that I trace and then cut on. Am I doing something wrong? I'll admit, when I did FWS all my blocks were 1/4" smaller than they were supposed to be; I thought it was my sewing. Now, I think I missed something. I didn't see a slotted line when I printed out Pony Club templates either. Help, Jeanie!! Termi, wait for Jeanie's answer--I may be wrong and if so, I'm sorry!
You are not doing anything wrong Jan. That is the way I do mine too. Saying that, there is a solid line and a slotted/dotted line on each template. However, when I did A Beauty (even though mine did not come out very good), I cut the template on the slotted/dotted line (rather than the solid line), and drew around the template and then cut 1/4" from the drawn line (sewing line). That will give you an actual sewing line to follow. In my first quilting class, we learned to always sew on the line. We did not have 1/4" feet back in the late 70's! LOL I hope I did not confuse too many of you, and maybe someone can explain this better than I tried to do??? Help people!