Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page >

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page

Old 03-28-2012, 08:39 AM

Confederate Rose wasn't as bad as I expected. I'm attaching a picture of the little clips by Clover I use to help keep the lines straight.

Cat's Paw...I kept thinking of the line from Dr. Seuss and green eggs and ham where he says, but I do not like green eggs and ham, Sam...but I was thinking of those darned reversed half square triangles.

Cat's Paw is being shown with my muddy block and sashing. I got it for another quilt but changed fabrics so it's been crying out to be used. My space is so limited, believe me, things that lay in my drawer too long literally cry out to be moved. Color is really a deep maroon with black markings on it.
Attached Thumbnails photo-8.jpg   photo-9.jpg   photo-10.jpg  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Oh I love it! Neat little clips! (I use glue, & heat set it w/ the iron) That sashing will be lovely with all of your blocks! Your confederate rose is very rose like! Very nice points for that Cat's Paw, & beautiful roses!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

GGal ... that's one pretty Confederate Rose. Your bright Kitty Block with your muddy block are so well blended with your sashing and cornerstones! I think you said you are putting it on two sides as you go?

The clips ... are you stabbing the pin at each end, and then using the clips in between instead of pinning? Are you able to sew with them on? Sure would be faster ... hhmmmm makes me think of the mini-snap office clips?? I wonder?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
GGal ... that's one pretty Confederate Rose. Your bright Kitty Block with your muddy block are so well blended with your sashing and cornerstones! I think you said you are putting it on two sides as you go?

The clips ... are you stabbing the pin at each end, and then using the clips in between instead of pinning? Are you able to sew with them on? Sure would be faster ... hhmmmm makes me think of the mini-snap office clips?? I wonder?
I've heard of people using the mini-snap office clips, so it might work. I've also heard of people using those hair clips that snap shut.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 PM

Hey, I'm sorry I posted my pictures on the discussion link. Don't know what I can use as an excuse except that I just goofed.

QuiltE...yes I stab pins at the end if the seam and then slip the clips on matching the lines on both sides of the pieces. These clips lay real flat and can be slipped off easily as you come to them. I just find that pins often make the fabric buckle a little or even slip and these clips hold it so firm. They are really sold for binding but I use them anytime I want more precision than pins can give.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Thanks GGal ... I've seen them and they make good sense for this purpose.

I use the hair clips that
DublB mentioned for binding, never pins! Though for PPing, they would bend/warp ... plus you wouldn't get the precision of holding the lines in place.

Did I just see
JanRN add these clips to her list for the Cleveland Show? *giggles*
Oh how we all wish we were all going to the show!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post

Did I just see
JanRN add these clips to her list for the Cleveland Show? *giggles*
Oh how we all wish we were all going to the show!
I wish..I wish...I wish...If wishes were nickles I'd be rich! (That trip would great fun!)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:19 PM

Great blocks, Ggal. Glad you gave the tip on how to use those clips. I have a pack and never opened them. (I'm a sucker for gadgets-have a whole shelf in the basement of those infomercial As Seen on TV items, also never used LOL). I'll try the clips on my next block. I'll let you know what new gadgets I come home from Cleveland show with; and maybe someone will know how to use them LOL!!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by janRN View Post
Great blocks, Ggal. Glad you gave the tip on how to use those clips. I have a pack and never opened them. (I'm a sucker for gadgets-have a whole shelf in the basement of those infomercial As Seen on TV items, also never used LOL). I'll try the clips on my next block. I'll let you know what new gadgets I come home from Cleveland show with; and maybe someone will know how to use them LOL!!

*giggles*
Can't wait to see your "haul"!!!!!!
Are you taking a pull along suitcase to contain all your loot?

Now get yourself to bed and have a good night's sleep before you blast off for all that FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2012, 07:07 AM

gardnergal970, the fabrics in your blocks are just beautiful!!! Great job! I like your sashing and corner stones, nice colors. Thanks for the tip about the clips, I'm going to try them. I too find that pins sort of distort the fabric.