Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page >

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page

The FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 11 Cat's Paw & Confederate Rose Discussion page

Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 AM

Thank you JanRN and QuiltE. I will check my printer. Another question........ what does it mean to block the block and how do you do it????
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 AM

Termi, All my blocks are 1/16" of an inch short. We must have the same printers!.... I wouldn't worry about that little bit off as long as they ALL are the same you'll be fine..adjustments can be made when adding the sashing if not. I always leave "extra" around each outside section so that I have enough to "trim up or down" when squaring up the block. H.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Termi View Post
Thank you JanRN and QuiltE. I will check my printer. Another question........ what does it mean to block the block and how do you do it????

First a Clarification for you, Termi (and others too!)... when the scaling check needs to be done every time you print! Please don't assume that if a few are OK, then all are .... that's what got me into trouble with the FWS!

Blocking ... hhmmm ... someone jump in and correct what I say as I'm sure it'll be a jumble that's clear as mud!
Here goes ... blocking to me, means that while I'm pressing, I am squaring it up, and straightening things. So, you know how you can have a block that the seams look nice and straight and all the patches are square? And then one that the lines are all wonky. Sometimes that's a construction problem and you're not going to correct that with blocking. However, sometimes it's been stretched wrong as it was sewn, or stretched with "ironing" (remember quilter's press!) Some of these problems can be sorted out via blocking!

True blocking would be .... dampen the block, and manipulate it (slight tugging) to get it all into position. Lines straight, square, parallel, etc. And then lay it flat to dry. When I do blocking for crochet/knitting, I lay a towel onto of my carpet, then put the item on, and set it in place the way I want, just smoothing with my hand. For fabric, I have sometimes stabbed pins thru the fabric, and carpet to hold all in place.

When I "block" when sewing ... I do it pretty much while pressing, watching that all is straight and square .... and if something needs encouraging, then a shot of water or sizing to help loosen up the fibres, then press again (and maybe a wee bit of ironing *gasp*) til I get it where I want it to be. Some starch at the end will hold it there!

I do this as each square is made, not a full quilt .... that makes it a lot easier at the end when you start assembling. While I've been doing the FWS sashing, cornerstones, I've been watching that I have the lines straight and those darned 1" cornerstones can be quite cantankerous and worse still, if you are just a thread or two shy of the 1/4" seam. Much easier to re-sew ... and better to catch that before all is together!!

OK ... clear as mud ... so someone come up with a much simpler description and correct my errs!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:29 PM

You write like a teacher QuiltE. Very understandable.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:55 PM

QuiltE - You are making perfect sense. Very clear instructions! Thanks.

I've got some good news. DMIL is out of the hospital! I even called her caregiver & was glad to hear that she is getting up & walking around. The Assisted Living Facility where she is is wonderful! It's a house with 5 bedrooms. One of those rooms has 3 beds & the others have 2 beds. Except for DMIL's. She has a private room & has had it since Jan. She is more comfortable now that she is in her own room. The way they care for her is awesome. We also have a nurse that comes & checks on her, & an aid to come & give her a bath. They are from Inhome Care. The caregivers would bath her but, we had already set up the aid when she lived with us. I m surprised at how tired I am! Thanks Ya'll for listening to me go on & on & on.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:05 PM
Power Poster

GGal and DublB ... oh no!!! please, not a teacher! Succinct, I am NOT!!
Glad you two understood it ... as I wasn't sure I understood it myself.
One of those things you think you know what you want to say ... and then can't say it without demonstrating it!

DublB ... It's understandable that you'd be tired. There's a lot of tension when parents have added health concerns to what is already concerns. Thankfully you know you have a good care residence for your DMIL. So many are not so fortunate. Here's hoping that all settles now for her (and ultimately yourself!)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Power Poster

And you thought I was excited last night?

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...148904-15.html

Last edited by QuiltE; 03-18-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 PM

Woo hoo, I trotted right on over there to get a look. Great Job QuiltE!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:47 PM
Power Poster

Pardners ... for those that I owe PMs and emails, I hope you will pardon me, knowing what I did ^^^^^^^ this weekend!!!
Hopefully tomorrow, I'll get myself back "on program" and you'll receive some responses!!

THANK YOU for your patience and understanding!
Good Night!!
Old 03-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Honchey and QuiltE, you're brilliant!! I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of leaving the parts of the block with the outside edges longer or not trimmed at all until the end. Can't wait to try it.

QuiltE, your instructions for blocking are perfectly clear, thank you!!! AND.......... I galloped over to see your FWS. It's absolutely beautiful!!!! Congratulations on finishing it!