Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 AM

You gals are not riding drag in the dust; its that virtual RV you are enjoying so much, that you take your own sweet time doing each block so perfect that the rest of us look a little green-eyed at the block. Whether the block is on time or later than the first, they are still adorable and very nice. It is wonderful to have "eye candy" more than one day on the trail. So, come on trail riders, continue to make it a wonderful journey for all of us; it keeps all of us smiling. (And all our husbands {or friends and neighbors} wondering what we are up too.)
Old 04-21-2012, 03:28 AM

OK--I really like these blocks. Great idea to change the corners on the tree one.

carrie
Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 AM

Oksewglad....your blocks are beautiful. I can only imagine how busy life is on the farm right now! How many acres so your plant? There's an alfalfa field near here that is almost ready to cut for the best hay but he usually let's it go until it's all blooming and it gets a little stemie and coarse.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

GGal ... what a waste of good alfalfa! grrrrrrrr!!!!!!!! Around here, we'd shake our head and just mutter, must be a beef guy! (sorry, to any beef farmers who read this, but so many, just don't understand good sweet juicy hay for our dairy bovines!)

OKSGlad ... well, I did confess, that my idea came from WendiQ

QNSue ... I always say "it keeps me off the streets"!!!!!!!

Despite the warmth we've had, the hay has not been growing here, as we need rain badly. So bad that on Monday when we had the winds (100kms), that there were sand-outs (think winter, snow and white-outs!). Seriously, you could not see at times when driving. The land is so dry, that it took flight ... I'm sure there'd be sand-drifts created. And no, I am not in a sandy area. Mostly loams ... with some clays. Good soil!! And with those winds, I had a tree come down in my bush ... good tree though, it feel clear of others, and just inside the edge of the bush, and against the trail, where the first part you can get a vehicle in. My farmer-friend is overjoyed .... cedar tree, four posts! We'll cut it up together next week someday, and while he's here with the chainsaw, we'll do some trimming of others. He keeps "picking" the trees he wants for posts .... NO!! And we laugh!!! ...... AI told him payment would be that labour, and some fresh rhubarb. Against the bush, mine doesn't get much light, so isn't ready yet .... their patch is showing signs, but too, like the hay, needs the rain.

We got some rain last night ... not much, but some is a start. We're supposed to see bits more the next few days, so hay and seeds and weeds and lawns ..... and rhubarb, will all start to pop, so long as we have some warmth. They're threatening some snow for Monday! UGH! That's not so bad, as surely it would just be a novelty, freak storm and would merely add some moisture, and then warm up again.

And too,
OKSGlad's blessed sunshine flowers will shine on! (a mediocre crop on my front lawn already ... I always say that when I see the dandy's then I KNOW that spring truly is here ..... so it's here!)

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Oh I like the RV idea--much more up to date!
Thanks for the kind comments. Yes dublb, I'm just cropping the seam allowances from the scans, not the actual blocks. Carrie; I just love how our blocks are so different--even though we have been using the same line of fabric--always makes me smile to see how you interpret your fabrics.
We've had almost 4 " of rain in the last two weeks; it was needed and now could warm back up and we can get the corn in. Then it will be an early crop of alfalfa--more like Mother's Day cutting rather than Memorial Day. WE have about 250 acres of crop land (lots of hills and trees here)-Ususally 90 A of hay, 90 A of corn, and the rest split between peas/barley cover crop for alfalfa and soybeans. Usually have a patch laid fallow to haul manure on in the summer time--grows wonderful corn the next season!
You're right Ggal/QE--must be beef cow owners--they want the "scratch" factor not the protein in their hay.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

OKSGlad ... looks like you've been getting a wee too much wet stuff. Like you said, STOP now, and let's get on with the corn. Typical of we farmers ... rain, but please, only on these fields!!!

Our first cut haylage usually comes off end of May, 1st of June. Dry hay to follow. Of course, that all depends on good ol' Ma Nature and what she chooses to deliver as to whether the time plan works or not. This area we get 2 cuttings ... sometimes 3 and some will take a 4th in September, if the field is going to be worked.

Just thinking ... are our
City Cousins getting tired of the farm talk?
I hope you don't mind ... I'm enjoying the babble, as I learn about the sameness and differences in other parts!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:31 PM

I find the farm talk very interesting! Keep it coming gals!
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM

Preen or similar product by Miracle Grow will keep weeds down in the flower beds and garden; you must first rid the area of weeds, then apply the Preen. It is the crab grass I hate.

For horses, its timothy hay not the other stuff that causes a horse problems. If livestock is turned into an alfalfa field with the dew on, it will cause bloat and kill the livestock. With clover, the bees will usually work it with zest. And clover honey is very good. With our orchard and flower beds and wisteria, we support a number of different bees & birds. I think I seen a hummingbird nest on a lower branch of the tulip tree. Blue birds nest here, and usually a wren. I love to hear her sing. With nine cats, we have started putting the nest boxes on steel posts that the cats cannot climb to disturb the birds.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Now that's nasty ... teasing the cats with all the birds!
My choice is buckwheat honey ... mmmmm!!!! even better than clover honey. Of course, only JIMHO

Question ... is a tulip tree the same as a magnolia? or different?
Old 04-21-2012, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Now that's nasty ... teasing the cats with all the birds!
My choice is buckwheat honey ... mmmmm!!!! even better than clover honey. Of course, only JIMHO

Question ... is a tulip tree the same as a magnolia? or different?
Buckwheat honey is also a favorite of mine!