Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

Old 03-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
For the better part, I don't pre-cut the PP fabrics, and just work with the whole piece of fabric.

I confess to the wasting of fabric! However, I do keep any pieces for crumb work!!

However, I also rationalize that the wastage is well worth it ... for the pointy points and perfection that comes as a result!

When FC+PP ... I cut a window in the line drawing, and frame it over for the fabric, then mark the outside edge, usually just at the corners (which would become the sewing line). Those new Frixxion markers have been heros for this! Then depending on the placement of the piece, I may cut it the precise size needed, or oversized. And then insert it in the PP was needed.

Thanks for all of the info, I keep cutting my pieces too little!

Old 03-23-2012, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dublb View Post
Thanks for all of the info, I keep cutting my pieces too little!
And I sometimes still trim too close when chopping off the yardage after stitching!!
Nothing is foolproof!!
Old 03-23-2012, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
And I sometimes still trim too close when chopping off the yardage after stitching!!
Nothing is foolproof!!
Your right, nothing is foolproof especially in quilting!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:05 AM

I have several of Carol Doak's books and it is where I learned to PP. This is the easiest way I can describe how I do it. I measure each piece ie if a HST finishes at 1 inch I will cut a square approx 2 1/4 inch and cut in half on the diagonal giving me 2 HST, if I need a square that finishes at 1 inch I will cut a 2 inch square, it wastes a small amount of fabric but only slivers. This gives me a little room for placement and making sure I have all the seams allowance covered.

In short terms I cut my pieces approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches larger that required. It also means that I can have all my pieces cut and ready to sew and I am only cutting strips from my FQ's

I hope I have explained it, I am a more visual person

Thank you everyone for your kind words, everyones blocks are wonderful each week and I can't wait for show and tell, love the Christmas trees. I have been away for a few days and haven't had a chance to catch up on the chat.

tomorrow is PC day in my house
Old 03-24-2012, 11:30 AM

carriem : Most people today like the DVD's....I learned by the book and didn't have a problem....my DVD player is not convenient to my sewing machine. I have been able to tote the book to wherever I needed it. Either method would work fine.......Let me know if you do it by the Carol Doak method, OK?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Great job on those blocks JeanieG. Especially love the way you Christmas tree came out.

I am working on these blocks today.
Hugs
April
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by mirabelle View Post
I have several of Carol Doak's books and it is where I learned to PP. This is the easiest way I can describe how I do it. I measure each piece ie if a HST finishes at 1 inch I will cut a square approx 2 1/4 inch and cut in half on the diagonal giving me 2 HST, if I need a square that finishes at 1 inch I will cut a 2 inch square, it wastes a small amount of fabric but only slivers. This gives me a little room for placement and making sure I have all the seams allowance covered.

In short terms I cut my pieces approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inches larger that required. It also means that I can have all my pieces cut and ready to sew and I am only cutting strips from my FQ's

I hope I have explained it, I am a more visual person

Thank you everyone for your kind words, everyones blocks are wonderful each week and I can't wait for show and tell, love the Christmas trees. I have been away for a few days and haven't had a chance to catch up on the chat.

tomorrow is PC day in my house
Thanks Mirabelle, that explanation helps me a lot!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella View Post
Great job on those blocks JeanieG. Especially love the way you Christmas tree came out.

I am working on these blocks today.
Hugs
April
Thanks April, a fun block to do!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:24 PM

Okay my cake stand block is done but I am calling it my "Lucky Pony Stand" as the background is horseshoes and there are all different ponies in the "cake". I will work on the tree tomorrow I think
Hugs
April
PS I was trying to make all the ponies one way but it was driving me crazy so I let go of my CDO and let the ponies fall where they may....
Attached Thumbnails cakestand.jpg  
Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM

Lovely colors, LI, welcome to the PC trail. I can see the "Pony Cake".