Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page >

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

THE FWS PONY CLUB Quilt-Along Wk 12 Cake Stand & Christmas Tree Photo Page

Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 AM

QUILTE....On the contrary, I am flattered. I like the sunshine on your strawberries, too. Your Christmas tree is quite festive also.....nice blocks......again.....
Old 03-26-2012, 07:55 AM

LovingIzabella, I love your pony cake stand just the way it is, lovely colors and great job! I have to fight my OCD too.

QuiltE, the shade of yellow you're using for the background is just beautiful! Great job on both and love those strawberries. We've tried to grow them but we always get a late frost that freezes the blossoms. Plus, there's all kinds of critters that love those berries. Luckily there are a few places around where I can go and pick my own. Love that strawberry shortcake!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:20 AM
Power Poster

Thanks Everyone!

A lot of you have commented on my yellow ... it's looking a little washed here in this picture. It's more butter yellow coloured. I'm liking it, though as mentioned earlier, it's being a challenge for the fabric selections. The trick will be finding a sashing that'll look just right! I'm seriously thinking of the two layered sashing we were looking at in the other thread with a dark frame and then something lighter. We'll see!!!

♥Iz ... good for you in making it a real scrappy and using only one fabric once!! You can do it. Just so long as you don't let a "favourite" talk you into using it a 2nd time! I've never done that, but in my 1st sampler, I set myself a rule of only using a fabric twice and then it was out.

WendiQ ... whew! I hinted at it when I saw yours. Then when the time came I just wasn't finding something I liked otherwise, and largely because of the yellow! I kept thinking cake and cake plate IRL and so many of the fabrics were just not appetizing at all!!!!

Termi ... with all the gardens I've had, no, I've never grown them either! I've been always lucky to live in an area where there are lots of growers. Although now, I do have some that grow wild in my lawn!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
[/FONT][/COLOR]♥Iz ... good for you in making it a real scrappy and using only one fabric once!! You can do it. Just so long as you don't let a "favourite" talk you into using it a 2nd time! I've never done that, but in my 1st sampler, I set myself a rule of only using a fabric twice and then it was out.

This will be a first for me as I am generally not a scrappy person. I am definitely a planner so I am pushing myself way beyond my normal comfort zone with this one LOL

Termi-thank you so much for the kind words..I love the horses I just really wish they had all landed the way I had planned them too LOL
Hugs
April
Old 03-26-2012, 09:31 AM

QuiltE, if you have not watched "You can quilt that out!" on U-tube now is a good time for a laugh. I am thinking of it when I am sewing those 17 blocks together and turning the corners to decreasing the blocks as I go down the FWQ for the finish line by two weeks from now. The table runners are 63 inches by 17 inches, for "fans" of the Iowa Hawkeyes which my FIL followed faithfully. Pattern and fabric from the AQS show in Des Moines, Iowa, last summer. I also sewed the strips together of a Shuttle pattern quilt, quilt pattern from Baker's Dozen. Also doing the "Gift" quilt, original design, and Sun Rays pattern from Indiana to use up scraps. Maybe post pictures during Spring break.

Yes, my dh ordered special strawberries last fall, and they look like they just might produce the whopping big berries they promised. Meanwhile, he is started a big bunch of Georgia Jet sweet potato plant starts...from our homegrown GJ sweet potatoes. They do not need any sugar added to them after baking them, and they are a wonderful rich orange-yellow in color. Those strawberry shortcakes blocks are making me hungry for the first strawberries of the season.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:16 AM

April, I have one I keep looking at and not liking the colors at all. It just does not "go" with all the others, an odd blue. I think I'll re-do that one during our "spring break"!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
April, I have one I keep looking at and not liking the colors at all. It just does not "go" with all the others, an odd blue. I think I'll re-do that one during our "spring break"!
So you will redo your oddball and I will try and get caught up and redo my FC but FCed in the wrong direction block LOL
Hugs
April
Old 03-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

Hey all you WannabeRemakeMyBlock People!
STOP thinking about that!! ... I had some in the FWS that I didn't like and contemplated remaking and I seem to recall some of you giving the sage advice to not go there, as they'd eventually blend together once there were more to help make them looked like they belonged.

When I have a colour that I don't think first ... An interior decorator taught me that when I was trying to tie the look of two parts of my home together that were done in two totally different looks and colours ... look for wallpaper that has both in it and you get that unified look. I did ... and love the end results! So ... for fabric/quilt issues I now look for a print that has that off colour and some of the others that are already there. Worked for those offbeats in FWS.

QNSue
... we'll all be looking for the pics when you get a chance. And you sure are making us green with envy for all your homegrowns. DH's special strawberries, aside from being big, are they also those everbearing ones that you get to enjoy right thru til fall? My sister put them in a few years ago, and oh so nice to extend the season. My Dad had the raspberries that did the same. I'll have to look for that you-tube!!

♥Iz ... it's good to get outside our comfort zone and do different things or to learn a new technique. For the PC, my goal is to get comfortabl3e with FCing combined with PPing! It sure isn't something to do when one is tired!!!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:22 PM

For the PC, my goal is to get comfortabl3e with FCing combined with PPing! It sure isn't something to do when one is tired!!

In one of the videos I watched, they said to hold the piece you want to fc up to a light. That way you can see if you have it centered pretty well before stitching. Still a hard task to do!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:33 PM

With my insecurities I remake almost all of the blocks LOL. When we did FWS I had so many extras I made my dog his own FWS quilt for his bed. I have so many extra PC blocks I may have to get another dog so I can make another dog bed quilt! But QE is right--there comes a time when you say enough questioning and just put them together.

During spring break I'm going to start quilting my blocks. I did QAYG for FWS and plan to do the same with PC. It's the only way I finish a quilt project. I love to make blocks, just hate to quilt them when they're sewn together.