Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13  Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page >

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13 Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page

The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along Wk 13 Clover Leaf & Captain's Wheel Photo Page

Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 AM

OK - Those are stunning! I just love your fabrics! That purple & gold are th perfect match for those lovely cloves flowers, & that blue is just what that gold called for in your Captain's Wheel. Lovely!
QuiltE - Your such a wealth of knowledge! That is such interesting info about the butter carving.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

DublB ... Don't let my knowledge overwhelm you, as it's purely coincidental! I'm developing a display of "The Story of Butter" for the CNE this year that will have an assortment of antique butter making equipment along with signage of the "how to". Our other resident dairy lady, OKSGlad has been helping me edit. A couple years ago, when out antiquing, I came across a handout re the 1952 Queen and her horse sculpture with more of the story and facts ... 1500 lbs. butter, retail quality, no additives, wood/steel frame, over 100hrs work, all done in a cooler at 40°F, with bare fingers! It was kind of neat to see all the advertising slogans and graphics from that time. With this being the Queen's Diamond Jubilee we're including this, and a few other royal tributes with dairy connections.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Yeah I got these two done too! And QE yes here's a Guernsey cow![ATTACH=CONFIG]330117[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]330118[/ATTACH]
This one is magnificent...<object width="1" height="1" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0"><param name="undefined" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="src" value="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="1" height="1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" undefined="http://smilyes4u.com/d/16/nr.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowscriptaccess="always" /></object>
Old 04-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Power Poster

Thanks again. QNS look for my of my cow and her friends in upcomping blocks. Another cow from this fabric was used in Children's Delight.
Duffy Lyon, the Iowa State Fair Butter Cow Lady, was one special woman. She went to ISU and was encouraged to pursue a degree in art after her display of ice sculptures at a campus event. She met her husband at school. They raised a family of 8 children plus the orphaned 7 or 8 children of a sibling and developed a fine herd of Jersey cows. Google her name and you will come up with lots of images and sites to learn more. I think her legacy will be remembered most with this sculpture sitting atop a hill near her home.[ATTACH=CONFIG]330191[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]330192[/ATTACH]
QE, notice how real this picture of a fresh cow and her calf is. The position of the cow's tail postpartum and the wobbly legs of a newborn! Just precious. You can almost hear the soft lowing sounds of the mother calling the calf to come closer.

Carrie--the clover fabric is also KT, but from an earlier line "Quilt Connection". One of the nice features of KT fabrics is their ability to mix across collections. This fabric from 10 years ago mixes well with a purple from the Sandhill Plum line.

GGal you make me blush for I know how much I love mirabelle's blues and roses.

And did you see the new lurker? Welcome aboard spacebull1. If you are interested in hitching up to our trail ride check out the thread for details. Some of us are right on top of things and post religiously every week. Others, (who moi? as QE would say) sashay in and out at their heart's (or alotted time's) desire.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...t-t170608.html
Attached Thumbnails dl-2-jersey.jpg   dl-jersey-cow-calf.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM

Wow, those are beautiful blocks oksewglad - you just do the most spectacular work!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Love the cow. OKsewGlad. It looks so real and shows the cow and calf expressions so well. I was trying to remember the history of the butter cow at Iowa State Fair; I think a gentleman started it years ago, and then after his passing has named an another artist twice to follow the tradition.

I have an original Daisy Butter Churn (glass) and a wooden butter press to mold the butter from my childhood days of churning real butter. Love visiting the Heritage Farm in Des Monies, Iowa, and eating at their restaurant place there, family style.

Love the farm stories; and I am learning things, too.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I'm envious of your churns QNSue ... have yet to find a glass one that's affordable! I do have a large crock dash churn as well as a wooden drum type. A few presses, paddles, wrappers, stirring paddles ... and several other dairy related items including an assortment of cans. When I do the shows, it's with a friend that has an extensive collection, so mostly his ... and I'm the computer/signage creator with the little bit that I have added to the display. Luckily I do have different things than he does. I've learned so much, these last few years as we've done them, as farm separated cream was finished before my time, and I was never part of making butter. (just as I'd never seen a quilt in a frame until 13 years ago!)
Old 04-24-2012, 02:54 PM

Oksewglad...I love that sculpture. Brings back great memories. Thanks for sharing..

QuiltE...being from the hills of Washington state, I lived during the weekly cream check from the herd of 3 or 4 milk cows that fed the family. (Only staples like flour, sugar, etc, Mom canned everything else for the table.) Mine was the wonderful task of washing the separator as soon as i was old enough. At first I was fascinated by all of the disks but it grew old fast but that didn't mean I was off the hook. It was easier when we "graduated" from the big floor model to the smaller one that sat on a table. Every thing fit in the dishpan better! I can almost smell it just thinking of it. We did make our own butter too. We had a gallon glass paddle churn. Many pounds of butter from that thing. Dad loved the fresh buttermilk and what he didn't drink, Mom would try to use in the cooking.

Last edited by gardnergal970; 04-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:45 PM

I have a vivid memory. I was around 3 or 4 & went to a night class at church. (I'm not sure but I think it was a special service that my parents went ta, 'cause all of the teachers were unknown ta me & the room was also unfamiliar.) We were given glass jars with cream in 'em. I shook that jar till my arm was so sore. When I got it finished I got ta eat it. It was not what I expected but good. I know now that I expected salted butter but it was sweet butter.

PS That is an awsome sculpture!

PSS My DM (age 69, not all that old) Hand quilts on a quilting frame that hangs from the celing. She has pulley's hooked on the cealing & lets the frame down ta quilt & raises it up ta watch TV.

Last edited by dublb; 04-24-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:45 AM

QuiltingNinaSue, I don't know how I missed your clover leaf and captains wheel. I love the green and purple together, one of my favorite color combos. What neat fabric in CW, great job on both!

oksewglad, great blocks, love the middle of CW, the cow holding the milk and a bag of wool next to the sheep. Very cute. The cow sculpture is magnificent, very lifelike. Thanks for sharing.