Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The FWS Pony Club Quilt-Along wk 24 Indian on Horseback & Jewel Discussion Page

So much going on in all of our lives! Jan, my DMIL went to her daughter's wedding with a broken hip. She had fallen a few days before but refused to go to the Dr. When we took her in the next week she just smiled sheepishly and said she was glad that she got to go to the wedding.
    QNSue...your little ones are sure getting big. Sounds like your garden is producing too. I missed most of my peas when I was in TX they came on so fast.
    OKSewglad...the county fair...sure brings back good memories. We showed beef but they smell the same!
    QuiltE...your Mountie is coming right along. My Texas star is still on the design wall but behind everything else I've been doing.
    Mirabelle...glad your machine is purring and you're feeling like sewing. I told my kids when they were asking what we would do after they left and I said that having them was just a happy outcome of our being together which is what we got married for.
    Hounchey...always a place for hobbies in the quilts we make. I like your Bingo design.
    I've probably left someone out of these notes but my memory just doesn't hold everything all of the time. I do appreciate your participation and comments on this trail and will catch up with you again sometime.
    Now for what has been keeping me busy. Here are pictures of the 3 quilts that I've made as gifts. I've also gotten blocks for a mystery quilt done but need to figure out just how to put them together is a quilt. The first quilt is for my DS's 25th Anniversary, the second is for my DGD's wedding and the last is a crib quilt for my DH's first GGS. I'm off to SC for the wedding and will check in next week but will enjoy the eye candy while I'm gone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I've been chuckling with my DDIL--4-H mom has learned she has to back off--let the child do his own. Another learning process for parents too!
    Jan you should see the little ones around our cows--for the most part all are very gentle. The favorite is the biggest cow in the barn. She loves little ones. 2 yo GD (a city girl, too) was so excited that she got to pet Dove.
    Anne what a great block! When you go to the File tab I "Export Image" (this automatically saves to "My EQ7" file). A dialog box will pop up. The default image size is 8 x 8 inches. I usually change the size to 4 x 4.
    We posted at the same time GGal--what wonderful finishes. Great MQ on the 2nd quilt! Have a great time during your trip.
    Last edited by oksewglad; 06-21-2012 at 06:17 AM.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Ggal you made me tired just reading your post--you are one busy lady! I love your quilts--beautiful! Did you quilt them yourself? And the colors--awesome, and so well done. I bet the recipients were blown away. Sorry about your MIL-they are hard-headed and will do what they want. Hope she recovers well.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

JanRN, I really like your sashing. It's very pretty and really sets off the blocks.

oksewglad, that's the cutest pair I've ever seen. Such a great picture of the calf and your GS.

QuiltE, I just trotted over to the Int'l Patriotic Challenge and your Monty is quite the dashing fellow!! I like the mustache as the only facial feature and the horse will look fabulous next to him. You're very creative.

QuiltE, I just trotted over to the Int'l Patriotic Challenge and your Monty is quite the dashing fellow!! I like the mustache as the only facial feature and the horse will look fabulous next to him. You're very creative.

OOOpps, don't know how I got 2 of the same post.

Back home again...didn't get a lot of cutting done the past couple days, but we did go to 3 quilt shops. Crystal and I both were able to find a few more FQs for our pony club blocks (30s for her and KT for me). We had a great little trip with the kids and they didn't complain too much about going to quilt shops as we found other fun places to stop in-between. I also bought fabric and a pattern for a table topper...needed something for a wedding this weekend! Guess what I will be working on tomorrow? I'll post a pic when I am done. carrie

Boy are we a busy group!
    Honchey - beautiful block!
    Meribelle - I understand about that empty nest comin' up. Though DS recently told us that he is still gonna stay in Midland & go ta Midland College one more year. He's the last one.
    OK - it sounds like ya are havin' a good time at the fair. Your DGSon looks so proud.
    Jan - I love that blue w/your blocks!! It ties 'em all tagether! I'm so sorry about your DM. I know that I used ta make my DMIL walk outside every day for about 10 min.s The Dr said that she needed the exercise. (I pushed her pretty hard ta do it.) After a while I realized that she had more trouble when I walked her. I had ta decide what ta do. I know that your DM needs the therapy, so you were doin' what you thought was best, with the info you had at the time. {{{HUGS}}}
    Carrie & Crystal went on a FART (& did some other things!) Fun!
    GG - Your quilts are gorgeous!!!

I did sign on my "new" lake house in Brady!
    Yippie! (I found out that it was built in 1920 & was a farm house, & someone moved it ta Brady in 1966! My DGP's bought it in 1982 & GM sold it in 2006 after DGDad died died in '05.) Now I gotta do a lot'a work on it. Inside needs paintin' & all o'the floorin' needs to be replaced. The hot water heater quit heatin' that afternoon. Lots ta do! We are gonna check out the store room & figure what we want ta take & do a few other things here in Midland this weekend & go back next weekend.
    My DGM is so excited
    I did sign on my "new" lake house in Brady! (I found out that it was built in 1920 & was a farm house, & someone moved it ta Brady in 1966!) Yippie! Now I gotta do a lot'a work on it. Inside needs paintin' & all o'the floorin' needs to be replaced. The hot water heater quit heatin' that afternoon. Lots ta do!
    My DGM is so excited
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Here is the table topper I made for a wedding gift....this is some of what I bought Thursday. Definitely a pattern I will make again! It is ~22" finished. (original pattern was 44" and used 8 strips so I just cut everything in half).

I started this table topper yesterday. Just had to sew one seam on the top this morning and then quilt and bind. I decided to use heat resistant batting so it can be used as a hot pad too.

carriem

Sorry the one picture is a little blurry!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lovely job; very colorful and useful. Lucky couple who gets the gift.

Ggal your quilts are beautiful well done,
    Carriem I love your tabletopper, is that a smaller version. I made one and it was huge..
    Karen

Mirabelle--the original pattern was 44" across and used 8 strips. It is called "Crazy Eight Strip Teaser". I made it with 4 strips and cut the triangles with the base half of what the pattern said to...it finished right around 22". I thought the big one was too big for what I needed, but really liked the pattern so figured I would buy it and make it work.

Ggal--I agree your quilts are really great! I missed them earlier.

Oh! Carrie, it sure is purdy!
    Bev

Thanks for the compliments. I was at my DGD's house on Friday and spied the quilt that I gave here last year when she graduated from college on her bed. She said she loved it because it was the perfect summer weight so I'm excited to give her this one for her wedding just because I know it will be appreciated. Very rewarding.

Carriem...I love the table topper. I'll keep it in mind for a future time.

carriem, your table topper is just beautiful!! Very pretty colors. What a great idea for a gift! I'm sure they'll love it.

Buffalo Chip Cookies

QuiltingNinaSue - I made your Buffalo Chip (Cow Pattie) Cookies today to take on our trip to WA. Oh my, they are great! It is funny as I read the recipe, it is almost exactly like the Coconut Oatmeal Cookie Recipe I make. My recipe has more oatmeal, coconut and flaked cereal and no chocolate chips. I did not have any butterscotch chips, so I put the semi-sweet, white, and special dark chocolate chips in the cookie dough. I baked about half the batch, and will finish baking the rest tomorrow. I hurried and put a whole bag in the freezer, or they would be gone before we leave Wednesday morning. LOL Thanks so much for posting that recipe!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Honchey .. great block design and some of those little corners that were in the Easter block!

JanRN,
    GGal and Termi ... Monty says thank you!!! Remember, you can always join in!

GGal ... it'll be good to see your Texas Star come together. It's nice now, so of course, will sparkle even more as you continue on All your quilts are lovely. I particularly like the 2nd one ... I think it's in the same book as my avatar? The quilting on it is exceptional. What a nice visit to your DGD and seeing her using your quilt! Doesn't it just make you feel all warm and fuzzy??

OKSGlad ... I'm sure your are a wonderful coach and mentor for your DDIL learning to be a 4-H Mom! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the Fair ... and of course, the quilt judging results! Got some photos?

DublB ... Congratulations on your purchasing your DGM's former home. Have fun with the renos and plans for it.

JeanieG ... you beat me on the cookies. I'm had hoped to make some this weekend, but it didn't happen. So now am hoping for tomorrow night.

CarrieM ... what a nice table topper. Great quilting, done with the turkey tracks (??) stitch). It'll be a useful size

Monty was very disappointed that I didn't get to sew on him this weekend. However, I did get 24 bags of mulch spread Friday and yesterday. Today worked on the deadheading, trimming, weeding etc. So once done, just too tired to think of sewing. Did get his face material .... a stonehenge fabric that I think will work well as flesh.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah Monty is gonna have a face!
    Bev

Yes, it is difficult to pick out flesh type fabric. I went too light on my Indian.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

JeanieG, your Indian was just right on!! More than one white man lead the Indians, and that is a good reminder of the real-west history. So happy you enjoyed the cow patty cookie recipe!! Happy trails on your trip.

Now to get together dh's aunt's quilt today and tomorrow, so I can start on PC blocks and catch up again. It is called the Chain of Love, the wedding ring without any circles. Love the scrappy piecing of it; all straight seams!!

Thank you again for the recipe QNS! I think the cookies are better the next day! I'll be in touch during our trip, WIFI is everywhere!!!

You have a safe trip now, ya here?
    Bev

Thank you all for the nice comments.

For the quilting, I think the stitch is called a "feather stitch". A friend of mine calls it the "drunken bird stitch"...she thinks it is a good one to use to hide when you don't sew straight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast