Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club QUilt-Along wk 25  July Fourth  & John's Favorite Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club QUilt-Along wk 25 July Fourth & John's Favorite Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club QUilt-Along wk 25 July Fourth & John's Favorite Discussion Page

Old 06-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Power Poster

My 6yo GD came home from Fair week all excited. She was drawing pictures of the livestock barns from the end with the big fan in the upper level and the long side of the brick barn with the open windows for the calves to get fresh air. And then she wanted to make a quilt! Has she been around Gram too much? She started searching through my scraps. She was so excited when she found sky fabric and then this odds and ends from "somebody" with a boy leading a calf. And of course Gram had some barn fabric, some grass and well this is how it could go together![ATTACH=CONFIG]345353[/ATTACH]
Here she is all excited and waiting for Gram to get a pattern put together so she can get started. I swear first thing tomorrow she'll be pestering me!! And I wonder why I'm behind on my PC blocks[ATTACH=CONFIG]345354[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 034.jpg   031.jpg  

Last edited by oksewglad; 06-28-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 PM

OMGoodness!!! That's just precious! Your gonna have a good time!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:44 AM

OK--looks like a fun project! Be sure to finish the "after" pictures.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:03 AM

OkSewglad....the memories you make with your GD will last much longer than any quilt you could make. What a lucky little girl!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:20 AM

DD--I hope the fires have stayed away from you and yours! Praying for those who are being affected.

I need opinions...I know I could post to the board in general but *know* you ladies so hope it is ok I put this here. I decided to make a wreath using the strip pattern I made last week (the table topper/hot pad). I found the perfect fabrics when working last week. What do you think? I don't have the buttons/ribbon sewn down yet. My dd thinks I need to put 2 each in the 2 "empty" spots...would that be too much? Would you lay them out different?

I decided to sandwich and flip (no binding) on this one...much easier! It finished at ~21" across. One other question...if I sew the buttons through to the back, do I need to quilt it too? If I had the right color thread I probably would have done it all ready, but my green is off, so now thinking I might get away with not quilting.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails wreath.jpg  
Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Power Poster

Carrie, I kind of like the "blank" spaces as it draws attention to the red buttons. Most often when there is a grouping of anything, it looks best in odd numbers. For some reason just creates better balance. Pretty colors. Have you tried quilting with clear thread. Just bought some yesterday. Polyester works better than nylon as it is softer and doesn't cut the fabric. When I first started only nylon was made and have this huge spool of nylon thread--what do I do with it?! Anyway what I bought was Sulky Premium Invisible Thread a .004 filament polyester--am itiching to try it on a AAQI quilt.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:15 PM

Carrie, that is so pretty. I agree with OK--odd numbers seem to work best. I like how you have them spaced out like that and wouldn't add any more. I made a large one of these (about 40") and got so bored when I started quilting around the strips so I just quilted some large circles in the blank areas. Love the Christmas colors. You have been one busy gal!
Old 06-29-2012, 05:17 PM

hey all! thanks so much for your prayers I KNOW it helps, amazingly enough the small town 6miles north of us was spared by the flames, the fire split and went AROUND both sides of the town, even licking right up to the houses but not taking a single one!
the fire has now moved up from the foothills into the mountain, it is all national park up there, no more homes! and the cows came home weeks ago good news all around!!! well... except it IS still burning in 48 hours it has consumed 40,000 acres :O
Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by deranged_damsel View Post
hey all! thanks so much for your prayers I KNOW it helps, amazingly enough the small town 6miles north of us was spared by the flames, the fire split and went AROUND both sides of the town, even licking right up to the houses but not taking a single one!
the fire has now moved up from the foothills into the mountain, it is all national park up there, no more homes! and the cows came home weeks ago good news all around!!! well... except it IS still burning in 48 hours it has consumed 40,000 acres :O
OH Wow, OH Wow!! Miracles do happen!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Good news, DD. Yes, prayer works in God's time and His action was right on time for the town. In Alaska, they caught several people starting the fires up again, so they could make more money by fighting the fire!! The Perma-moss would burn for days on end down about 15 inches...that was the 'soil' up there.

Oksewglad: what a blessing to have a gd who loves to sew and work with you. Wonderful. do give us an update and picture when she completes her plan. Some of it does look a bit familiar; and is in my FWSQ.

CarrieM: when you have perfection, it cannot be improved...or at least, in my thinking, you have perfection. Love it.