Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

HOTDOGS, y'all ! (Eyeroll).
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    HOTDOGS, y'all ! (Eyeroll).
    That's why we love it here.....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I've been hearing about the Goodwill stores' "outlets"... not all Goodwills have them but I found out there are two in our area. They take clothing out of their stores that didn't sell and dump them in big bins in the back, which you get to rummage through. Nothing is hung up or folded and they sell it to you by the pound! $1.50 per pound.... So today I finally went to one to look for decent cotton shirts I could cut up for quilting. I found a whole buggy load of nice men's shirts, 100% cotton. I want to make two of the quilts in Bonnie Hunter's book, Scraps and Shirttails.

While I was there I also found a couple of shirts for me that I will wear, and a pair of Red Hat Society pajamas that I will put on Ebay. Also found a very vintage heavy black coat for a lady, with a gorgeous real mink collar! I have taken that beautiful collar off and may be able to attach it on my winter coat or a sweater. It had some really neat buttons too, but the coat itself is being donated to the nearest Amvets box.

Just thought I'd share my fun today... and also tell yinz I started my Civil War quilt! I have made the first four blocks from my book, simple HST blocks. They are 8" finished. I'm loving that size. I told QNS I would let her know when I started. If anyone else wants to play along, jump in. I'm following Barbara Brachman's Civil War Sampler book, from start to finish like we did with the FWS. This book has 50 quilt blocks.

Name:  DSC02789 (Small).JPG
Views: 85
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  DSC02791 (Small).JPG
Views: 89
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  DSC02792 (Small).JPG
Views: 86
Size:  79.4 KB

Name:  DSC02790 (Small).JPG
Views: 82
Size:  81.3 KB
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

HOT DOGS!!!!! Sabrett's YUM! Pushcart style! I first heard that term when I worked at Christian Brothers Academy... One of the brothers mentioned it when asking about the menu for the day... I thought you'd get a kick out of hearing the term..

Long day at work..just got home about 20 minutes ago..left the house this morning at 9 am..

You are so lucky Sewbiz....I have never heard of the Goodwill Outlets.. A goodwill is going up in Carolina Shores not too far from me..
    Last edited by Honchey; 09-08-2016 at 04:20 PM.

My local Goodwill told me that when things didn't sell there after some time then they sent them to the outlet where they were sold for 75% less. The outlet is about a 45 minute drive for me. I wonder if they sell clothing by the pound at our outlet? Might have to check that out. I'd like to do the Barbara Brackman book, but, I have some plaid shirts from Goodwill (at their normal price) that I've got saved up for the PC quilt. It's 8" blocks too. As readers of this thread might remember, I posted my beginning blocks here. I wish I had Civil War fabric. I have none, but really like the prints. Your blocks are goooorgeous!

Blog Entries
    No outlet near me...that I know of...I started BB Civil War sampler when she had it on her blog...got about 10 blocks done...yours are bright and colorful, SBG...Another UFO for me....putting away the denim for now...gotta make my house livable, but between using some denim in repairing, mudroom rugs and donation quilts I have gotten 2 baskets done to one...I have to sort through though as there's stained denim I don't want to use in quilts. I just keep plugging away...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I saw a huge Goodwill right off the highway in San Angelo. I wonder if it is an outlet store?
    We got back to Brady & did laundry & yard work. We are going back to Midland tomarrow. I have a meeting at the LQS. She isn't having anyone sign up for classes. Any classes. We are gonna try something else. My DGSon's b-day party is Sat also. Of course we are gonna go dove hunting 1 night.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Just call your local Goodwill and ask where there is one with an outlet. The 'outlet' is just a big back room behind a regular Goodwill where they dump the clothes. I think they give them a little time and then probably sell them by the bale, to overseas. I know another charity store in town does that. They put hardly any clothes out in their store but bale up most of what's donated into a huge bale like cotton used to be baled into... tons, in weight! Then they ship overseas and make their money that way.

By the time they turn over the unsold clothes, more are ready to be dumped into the outlet bins. Stuff is constantly being donated. People are pretty fickle with their wardrobes!

I had shopped at this Goodwill before, never knowing it had an outlet in the back!

Tonight I'm cutting up shirts (after washing them) and realize that for the quilt I want to make I need a lot more red shirts than I have. Probably more blue, too. So I may have to go and buy shirts in the regular thrift stores. There is one more Goodwill with an outlet in our area (Jackson). Givio, they are 45 minutes away from me, too... both of them, in different directions. Ours closes at 2pm, so if you find one be sure to go early, just in case.

Glad you like my first Civil War blocks... I stocked up on fabric while I was in Paducah, just like I stocked up on 1930's prints. When I first saw civil war repros I didn't like them. They have grown on me I guess because now I love them.

Blog Entries
    I googled goodwill outlet...the link I was at had a US map...click on your state and the outlet locations are shown...my closest one is 2 1/2 hours away...not worth the trip IMHO...

RE: CW repro fabrics
    I think they can be all over the place as far as style..check this info out...when one considers a 50 year span in the definition then think of how varied our fabrics have been since the 60's and 70's...it allows for a lot of choices..

http://www.reproductionfabrics.com/shelf.php?ID=39

http://www.reproductionfabrics.com/h..._war_text.html

Sorry about the class participation...or lack of, dublb...YouTube has kind of stolen that market...Barbara Brackman's blog post for today dealt with the lack of print media sales, i.e. quilt books...crossroads of change it is...time to call it a day...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the uplifting message QNS...it's raining once again in our neck of the woods...haven't gotten a report from the folks up the road yet today..tired of the "soothing" sound of rain on the roof....
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Sun is breaking through the clouds here, so there is hope the rain will stop, OK. Hurricane was suppose to bring lots of rain here, but it seems to 'part' and go around us to the West or to the East..therefore, we might get a sprinkle or two and it moves on.

BIL came yesterday and picked up the old Dell computer, which I loved. Progress, they call it to change up to one that runs Windows Ten. I call it a pain in the ......don't be mislead or think below the belt... its a pain in the head.Finally got all the programs transferred to the new computer, so it was time to let go of the good, but old computer.

I have put more blocks on the vertical wall to show myself progress. Almost finished with the cleaning action in the quilt room; just four or five more boxes on the guest double bed. One bookcase cleared of Quilt magazines.

Loved your Civil War four blocks, SBG. I am glad that Givio responded as she did...maybe add a bit to her box. Most of the boxes are packed...expected posting time not known right now...next paycheck is still three weeks away. Patience I have to tell myself...all in good time.

Have a great week every one, its a great time to sew in our quilt rooms. Therapy.

We are back in Midland. DGSon's b-day party is tomarrow.
    I am excited today. I met w/the LQS manager & we are gonna do things different. We are gonna do 2 types of classes. (1.) stash buster (2.) precuts. I am gonna teach techniques & not full quilts. We are gonna make the classes shorter & make just li'le samples. (I like doll quilts anyway.) They can buy more to make bigger quilts after if they like the technique. The thing is we are gonna have a class every month. So every other month the precut class will take place & the stash buster classes will be in the between months. (Does that make sense?) After a while her customers will be expecting the classes & become loyal students. Well that is the hope anyway! We set up classes for Oct through Jan & have 2 other classes planned but dates not set.
    I brought only hand work for this trip to Midland & am now itching to sew after that meeting!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Blog Entries
    SBG I like those blocks. They are so pretty. Making a quilt with men's shirts will look really good, and they look so cozy.

We are waiting on some rain, but I am sure some will come around the corner. I have already seen some of the early falling leaves that have changed color.

Have a great weekend girls.

Blog Entries
    We all enjoy all of those positive notes QNS.

Hubby and I went out to estate sales this morning. We love to do that in Memphis when we visit our kids, but here at home our nearest big town is Jackson, and the sales are really hit or miss. Today was MISS. We had fun looking but didn't find a single thing to buy. Nothing. We had brunch at an IHOP afterwards, so the morning was not a total bust!

I'm still cutting up cotton shirts for quilting... about ready to cut out a red, white and blue quilt out of them. I find these quilts so cozy and timeless. I just love them.

Hope you all have had nice day and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Good Morning Everyone !
    I am waking up with a cup of coffee and Dunkin Donuts..It' either bagels or donuts for our Sunday morning ritual...Our family reunion yesterday was great but a little sad as one of our cousins is no longer with us..We had our own memorial service at the end of the day...Life is so short.. It was so windy at the shore most of the snacks went flying off the tables..The swans in the Bay had enough for lunch & dinner. The hair on my head looked like I stuck my finger in a socket. It was much cooler than expected with the strong breezes..All in all a good day with family..
    I finished 2 more blocks I started (30"s) and we're leaving tomorrow morning so I hope to have them posted in a couple of days..Till then Have a good day all. H.

I'll be packing our new SUV today an that wll take me all day .. The big project is deciding what projects I'll be taking with me..It's the toughest part of packing..

I agree with OK's comment about YouTubes taking over the class market. Of course, it's fun to get out and do things in person with other like-minded people, but for the sake of just learning, if that's all you want, you usually can find good instructions in a YouTube tutorial. Same thing with the print media comment-- there are so many blogs to read that can take the place of reading articles in a magazine, and so many pictures, stories, patterns, etc. online to use rather than finding the same in books. But, still, I love books. I like them in my hands. I hope libraries don't go out of vogue.
    QNS, you might find that updating to a new computer in the future will be going back to Windows 8. There are a ton of people who didn't go onboard with Windows 10, who are probably just waiting it out for Windows 11.
    SBG, where is the post with the picture of your red/white/blue beginnings? :-)

Don't expect much on Sunday!

You get a line and I'll get a pole and we will go fishin' . . .

Ok Givio, here you go! This is the before picture, the piles of recycled shirt fabrics pulled for the quilt:

Name:  DSC02797 (Small).JPG
Views: 77
Size:  71.5 KB

The first cutting, the blues:

Name:  DSC02798 (Small).JPG
Views: 83
Size:  69.6 KB

Most of this quilt is made with these 1.5" strips.

Nina, have you received the plates & the check? Just curious

No, Honchey. Address is 18258 State HIghway YY, Unionville, Mo. 63565 Most things come by Mule, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Ok Givio, here you go! This is the before picture, the piles of recycled shirt fabrics pulled for the quilt:

Most of this quilt is made with these 1.5" strips.

Awww my favorite - Bonnie Hunter! Finally finished this years mystery to the flimsy stage, now looking forward to November and the start of her new one. I'm 3/4 done quilting Celtic Solstice, been working on it for a time each day.

My FWS 30's quilt is on my display wall. I am not setting it on point. I am sewing the top sashings on and I'm about 90% done with that, then will sew the cornerstones and side sashing together and get them sewn on.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Blog Entries
    "Nina" after H's ? i am wondering if you received your plates from me?

Blog Entries
    Weather turn around here...sunny, windy and cool as in upper 60's...last night did a wally run..just bought essentials as I needed computer ink to finish a guild project...guild resumes tomorrow night. Not sure if I spent too much time on cement, but my knee and hip ached all night...Will need to zap it today for sure and take a soaking as well.

Jeanie sounds like you are making progress...any more trips planned?

SBG..your quilt will be great...I still have FIL shirts to make more quilts for the family and have several plans in EQ...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Page 11 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 21 61 111 ... LastLast