Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 142 143 144 LastLast
Results 3,551 to 3,575 of 3577

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

A mystery quilt sounds fun but I just have way too many quilts started and fabric to start more...I might even have just bought some more today...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Carrie! Your batiks are just wonderful! Your quilt will shine when it it made outta those fabrics! The pattern ya have there is wonderful & goes w/your fabrics!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-31-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Gorgeous quilts and fabrics, Carrie! Hope you will keep us up to date on your progress.

I've made that Arkansas Crossroads pattern with scrappy bits. It would be gorgeous in a controlled palette.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Going to follow the BH mystery clues. See what it takes to make it. Love getting her morning news and her trip to Africa was really great to follow.

Jeanie, stay safe out there. Looks like all of CA is burning up on National News.

When I find a good doctor, I will see about my knee. When its muscles and tendons, not sure how much they can see. So I will wait and 'baby' it for a awhile longer. About 2-4 inches of wet snow outside, so we are cancelling appointment for the day and staying in warm and dry. Heading into the quilting room today.

Yesterday was hot (80's), then it rained all night, now it's barely 40 degrees! What a change...
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Nooooo! On another forum I am on, they posted the link to the new BH mystery. It is based on a pict of bluebonnets! How can I not make it? I don't have the the time! Just look at those colors!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-31-2019 at 11:54 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    Nooooo! On another forum I am on, they posted the link to the new BH mystery. It is based on a pict of bluebonnets! How can I not make it? I don't have the the time! Just look at those colors!

Uh Oh... you looked! Remember what you said about getting sucked in if you looked? Ha ha... looks like you'll have to fit it into your schedule, Bev!

What I don't like about the BH mysteries is the big dump of work at the reveal. There is always so much to do still, once the quilt is revealed. I wasn't impressed by the colors this time, so I'm sticking to my guns and not participating. Gotta be strong!

Those are my colors, finally.
    The best kind of sleep beneath heaven above is under a quilt hand made with love. Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Bell View Post
    Those are my colors, finally.
    Me too! Aren't they lovely! They are calling my name!
    Bev

Thanks for the tip! I when to her newsletter and found the information. Love her ideals and it may cause me to dig thorough my stash. Love the colors. Not too sure of her way of doing things that look simple and are not so, to me. Time will tell. Thanks again. Made my day a little brighter.

She always says that we can make the units however we want. We don't have to make 'em like she suggests. I'm leaning toward making just 1/4 of the units to make a wallhanging.
    Bev

I think that would be great choice, Dublb, and I may copy that thought too.

After I made one BH mystery quilt (my avatar), it seemed to be enough. The next year I chose fabrics and saved her instructions, but I never did more for it. Now, I think I've lost the instructions, but I don't really need them. If I can see the block, then I can make the quilt... I like to know what the quilt will look like before I do so much sewing. Or even just know what the block will look like, to know if my fabric looks good with the pattern. I guess mystery quilts are not my thing. I do like the chatting and comradery though!

I wonder if people will use neutrals, or 'barely pinks'. BH's using two paint chips for one fabric color might confuse people. She usually just uses one paint chip per fabric, doesn't she?

The quilted twins.com has a bundle made up to do the BH project and I just checked it out and got frustrated, not realizing it was after hours for Dade FL so guess I need to be patient. Cannot find right place to check out, the cart, created an account, to find something I did not want in the cart., and got more frustrated. What will be, will be. It sounded like a bargain, but not sure its worth all the frustration.

I try to keep records of each time the clues are released. And I order the disk to keep handy with the fabrics.

With their help at Quilted Twins, I figured it all out and got the Bonnie Hunter fabric, all 13.5 yards, for a bargain price. Now to download the patterns as she releases them. Poor Sadie, her dog, passed away, so she is not doing her newsletter for several days. Loss of a beloved pet hits us all hard. I plan to put the instructions with the fabric, so I can work on it when the creative mood hits. I did stop with 1 kit. Ha! I had to restrain myself, for now.

Hope everyone has a very good week. Happy quilting.

I only had to purchase 2 yards of fabric for the Bonnie Hunter Mystery! I had the rest in my stash! I ordered a solid dark blue, and a green. I finished quilting another of my older Bonnie Hunter Mysteries - the 2012 Easy Street, it is on my bed! I noticed that someone put up a thread for the new mystery, if you want to follow along.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

My quilt retreat with the BH class is this weekend. I signed up mostly to see what a quilt retreat is like, never went to one, to have an outing with my sister, to meet other quilters, to see what BH is like in person, etc. I don't feel I need instruction on how to sew, but hopefully she will provide some tips that I haven't thought about during my decades of sewing... :-)

I could use a tip on paying attention!! lol My goal was to have the star blocks finished, and the strips cut for the alternate blocks to bring to class. I was so pleased with myself yesterday-- I opened her book to see how many triangles to cut for the hourglass in the center of the alternate block. I thought maybe I'd get ahead of my goal and sew those too. It was then that I noticed the strips for the logs were supposed to be 1 1/2". I've cut a ton of strips at 2"!! More than enough for half of a double size quilt. Fiddlesticks!! There goes my goal right down the toilet...

Oh Giv... well at least you didn't cut them too small. You can trim the strips down before the class, hopefully.

Nooooo Givo! I'm so sorry! That can be so frustrating!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-08-2019 at 04:07 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev

Lucky you, givio! Seeing Bonnie Hunter and attending her workshop with your sister! Wow! Next best thing is to have your pictures taken with her. What a moment that would be. I get her emails every day and marvel at her energy and positive spin on things. I have not learned how to comment or contribute yet...but I send positive vibes back to her mentally. Quited twins is addictive, they offered batiks in BH colors for next project, so I ordered that one too. Today they came out with 79 backing colors at 8.99 per yard. I have lots of backing on my shelf, but it is very tempting. I am telling myself "No!". We will see. Have a great weekend, and Givio, I will be thinking of you having so much fun. Enjoy your retreat.

I keep looking at DH workshop wondering if that is Givio and her sister in the picture. I guess we might hear from her all about it later. Good day today, but cold all week here. Brrrrrrr.

:-) Yep! If you looked at Bonnie Hunter's blog today, you would see me in a couple of the pictures. Battle Axe, SuzieSews, Kp3690, and I were all at the Smith Mountain Morning class. Battle Axe sat to the left of me at the retreat, but the young girls arrived earlier and had set up their machines at other tables. My sister didn't take the class, but she came in the room and took pictures for me near the end. She waited in the hotel for the class to finish and helped me pack up my stuff-- we had her sewing machine, mine, and Battle Axe's on the hotel rolling cart, along with fabric, tools, etc.

The story Bonnie wrote about the sewing machine that stopped working and the trip to a local thrift shop was told about me and my sister. Not quite accurate how she told it, but we didn't go into details about what had happened when she came around to my table and we talked about it-- she used her imagination somewhat. :-) The Singer with the $10 price tag on it was a picture of me sewing my alternate log block. My sister bought it at the thrift store the day before, and we had no idea that my own machine would stop working the next day. My star blocks are black and light green stars, where I emphasized the center pinwheel by the color and layout of the star points, and they have a yellow background. I didn't sew them with my sister's machine like BH seemed to indicate in her blog. I made them at home before I went. I only worked on the alternate log blocks at the retreat. I'm sewing them in blue and red. I learned a couple good tips from BH at the class.

But I liked the weekend the most because of fun with Battle Axe, the young girls, and of course the time with my sister. My sister went to the lecture with Battle Axe and I on Friday night. BH brought lots of her quilts that are pictured in her books. My sister didn't know who BH was, and thought she was an entertaining speaker and the ticket price was worth it. We enjoyed the evening. It looked like about 200 people attended the trunk show. Afterwards there was open show and tell. Battle Axe brought 2 SMMs to show. And she also had made one earlier in the year that she had sold. So the class SMM was her fourth! :-)

Wow Givo! It does sound like ya'll had such a great time! I'm so happy for ya!
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; Today at 04:03 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev

How fun Givio. I have been to one of her trunk shows when she was here in our county a couple of years ago. What a fun lady in person!
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Givio, I am going back and look at her pictures again and look for you. What a happy time, I hope you enjoyed it for all of us too. If you took pictures, I'd love to see them and you there. And your sister, too. Memories to treasure for sure. Wow. It would be nice if some of you younters made the trlp to her retreat in VA sometime, and shared with us who will never go that far.

I have signed up for the Frolic challenge; like the good QB folks, they might get me going on it. Eight o'clock, so I'd better get dressed and have breakfast and prepare for the day. I know the Postman will have packages for me today, will see what all he brings. Have a good one, sewing.

Page 143 of 144 FirstFirst ... 43 93 133 142 143 144 LastLast