Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 142 of 144 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 141 142 143 ... LastLast
Results 3,526 to 3,550 of 3577

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

dublb, that's so sweet to let your mother do the embroidery. My mother did wonderful work. I have some blocks that she made using a simple line drawing of animals, like I did the frog. They are on white cotton/polyester fabric. So much white for a baby! How to keep it clean? I wish she'd used all cotton. I have no ideas for how to quilt them, and never could decide a way to put them together into a top. They are rectangles.

QNS, I agree with you about 90s and 100s. I've several Aunts and Uncles that hit that range! I don't remember what Radical Roosters is?

SBG, saved the link, thanks!

Givio, Florine Johnson designed 12 birds, 11 roosters and one hen to be put on a 14 by 18 inch square. They are well-designed crazy birds and I have wanted to do them for a long time. and I am not getting any younger. I hope I can teach myself Butcher paper piecing and sew them on the machine and not have to do them by hand and turn the edges under.I was looking into English paper piecing, I was referred to a company that gave away free kits to learn that, but the shipping on it was $13.95. Not free at all. So I revise my plans again. What will be, will be. The sun still rises and the sun still sets, and our days go on through life. Merrily, we row on.

I googled it and saw some designs, but I don't know if that's what you chose. I'm looking forward to seeing your picture progress! There are lots of YouTube tutorials for paper piecing. You sure wouldn't need to buy something.

I will try to take some pictures today of the fabric and designs. There are 12 patterns in the series. Ralph, Rascal, Rob Roy, Rock, Rupert, Rai, Roger, Hilda, Robert, and I ordered Reginald and Ricky to complete the set. Still flowing around ideas on how I am going to do it, may have to jump in and try some ideas and see how they work.

My knees are so bad and hurt its hard to get up (and down is not so much of a problem). When other problems are solved I will look into that one. First is dh blood clots and retina eye problem. The older I get the slower, I seem to go. But as long as I can go, it is a blessing. November 3rd, time falls back an hour. I hate the time changes forward and back, but at least, we can ignore it most of the time in retirement.

Now to keep my promise to you'all, I took pictures today. Placemats, four out of six done for fall. Not my best, nor is it my worse job on quilting:Name:  DSCN1173.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  64.6 KBfall hunting scenes in Iowa...ode to dh who hunted with his Father and brothers.Name:  DSCN1176.JPG
Views: 153
Size:  72.5 KBIntroducing: Rowdy, juvenile rooster who helped himself to paints to become a brighter rooster! 1st step to color a pattern of him:Name:  DSCN1174.JPG
Views: 151
Size:  76.7 KBBackground will be used in all 12 squares. Auditioning the fabrics for him:Name:  DSCN1175.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  74.6 KBLight and darks will interplay with each other. Its a start. Let the fun begin.

I do love your placemats! OH, & Rowdy is just darling! I am looking forward to your version!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I discovered two patterns in every Rooster file: one easy and one advanced. Love that.Sister in law Zelda had copied five of the patterns on 14 x 18 inch paper and I have no idea where she did that. She died last February, so I cannot ask her. Good memories of that time when she did copy them.

The rooster pattern looks like applique. I would use WonderUnder fusible and iron the pieces all in place, then stitch very close to the raw edges. That would be easy enough that even I might try it. If you use batiks for the fabric, there wouldn't be any raveling. Can't wait to see how they turn out.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

My lube kit is on backorder. So I just ordered the grease & it came in. It is called Epnoc. I got it at the Sew & Quilt store in Temple. I get a discount as a graduate from their tech class.
    Bev

Batiks don't ravel??!! I never buy them.... What?! Do you mean even after washing???? You're kidding!

Knits done't ravel, not sure about batiks. Looking at the patterns and not wanting to cut apart the original, I am thinking about a thin cotton to trace it onto, then paste it onto or trace it onto light cardboard for a solid pattern. I know the fabric they call 'traceable' for patterns but it is limp and not solid. still kicking around ideal in my head.

Batiks really do not ravel. That’s why so many people use them for raw edge applique. I have a small stack of batiks and it’s on my bucket list to try.
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Let me know how it goes after washing. :-)

I wouldn't use it for anything that was going to get a lot of washing, like a bed quilt. It would be suitable for wall quilts. I actually have done it on my Row by Row quilt from a few years ago. No ravels, but no washing, either.

I have been working on my IC for a bit now. I have all the Bluebonnet blocks made (well except for the ones that I have decided I want to put in the border) & 5 of the chain blocks made, so here is a layout to see how it is gonna look.) I do know that the one in the top right is wrong & I have already fixed it. I am now sewing the rest of the chain blocks together.
    Last edited by dublb; 10-27-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    Bev

So pretty with the bluebonnets, Bev! Are they painted? Embroidered?

They are embroidered on my embroidery machine. It takes over an hour to do each one, that is if the thread doesn't break or it run outta bobbin. I have 49 bluebonnets made & am now working on the 50 chain blocks. It'll be 90"X110 before borders. I am planning 3 10" borders. 2 of those borders will be squares finishing up the chain design & the other 8" will be black w/more bluebonnets. This way I will have a real good drop & will be able to tuck the pillows. I do still have to make the bluebonnets for the borders. This is the bedspread I am making on my serger for the downstairs King size guest bed.
    I just climbed off of my elliptical & boy do I have lead leggs! This is my 4th week at getting up early to do this. M-W-F I get up on the elliptical. T-TH-S I do my "back" exercises. Sunday I rest.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    So many different projects since I last checked in. Carrie, I really like your barn quilt. Perfect block for it, too. All the embroidery work you gals are doing...something that's not up my alley to do, but I sure like how it looks. Great placemats, QNS.

I now have the old sewing room painted and the bed set up with all the bedding washed and ready to put on when family comes at Thanksgiving. I moved my "saved" outside plants in there on Saturday. Put them under a couple of grow lights as the small north window isn't going to bring in much light. I just need to remember to turn it on and then turn it off...I know a timer would be ideal...may have to check into it. I have a wooden shelf left in there. It's been a holding area for stuff as I sort. Next step is to organize all the stuff that came out of that room! It's been a long process.

I've been sewing upstairs in the living room...yikes another fabric explosion. I have a customer quilt I'm working on made from men's shirts. She cut the rectangles and they aren't cut straight and challenged her when she started sewing them together. It's taken me a while to get it organized, but I'm about 1/3 the way done with the first quilt. Going to work on it today.

White frosting on the ground..."When the frost is on the punkin and the fodder’s in the shock, And you hear the kyouck and gobble of the struttin’ turkey-cock..." It's that time of year!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

Yes, its coming to Thanksgiving Time, which will be just another day in our life on the homestead. No visitors expected or invited at this time, just busy going down to the road to see another doctor. If is is not me, its my DH. He is so delighted that I signed up for a driver to take us to Des Moines, Iowa, Dr.s two years ago, because he does not have to drive it and get his eyes the care they need at the Retina Center there. He seen his regular Dr. today about his blood clots,and Thursday, Lord willing and it does not snow and ice, he will see his skin cancer Dr.s.

Tomorrow, we try dressing out two ducks. I wore my knee brace into town today; and in the first store I had to use the restroom and put it back up on the knee, 'cause it had fallen down to my ankles! Moving about verrry slow and it really hurt getting in and out of the car twice. Brought tears to my eyes. WalMart just had one cashier working, so check out was so slow, I made him late by four minutes to see his Dr. I refuse to check myself out, WM has not hired me yet to do that. Ha. I have taken the finish off of my bed footboard, trying to help myself up and down now.

I got my frog tape, so ready to try tracing my Rooster simple patterns out on heavy starch fabric for the pattern to cut for pieces taping my original on the East Door screen. If we don't have snow and icy and freezing temperatures. Dh is cold today so running the temps inside at 79 degrees. Too hot for me, but just right for him. Same old song, replayed again. I think, we will live through it.

Today was the last day of sewing with my friend from FL. I didn't get a lot finished while she was here but was able to help her a lot which is part of what I do while she is visiting. She mostly just sews the two times a year she comes to visit. I got the barn wallhangings done, the mini wallhanging/pinwheels started, cut fabrics for a wool/applique mini wallhanging and also for the mini log cabin wallhanging I am going to make...one of the 16 blocks is finished.

I also cut fabrics for 2 mini runners for my friend, plus the fabrics for 3 quilts. I helped her with laying out/pinning, etc as well. She was able to get both runners done (I did the quilting/binding on them for her), 2 tops completed and a good start on a 3rd quilt.

Found out today that my DH has a ruptured disc so will be having surgery this week. I will get my sewing room put back together tomorrow and maybe work on one of my own projects a bit since I'll be home all day.

Wishing your husband a successful surgery, Carrie. I admire you strength in quilting and keeping projects going. I find myself using foolish excuses not to get into the quilting room. Sigh. I guess I need to 'pet' the fabric more.

Carrie! My prayers are w/your DH. While my disk isn't blown it does bulge some & the pain can be horrible.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-29-2019 at 03:16 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev

So sorry to hear about your hubby Carrie. Prayers for a successful surgery!

QNS - Your knee sounds like it is in really bad shape! What does the Dr. say about it?

Looking forward to the colors coming out for the new Bonnie Hunter Mystery on Thursday! Anyone else going to participate this year??
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Sorry your hubby has to have back surgery, Carrie. Hope it gives him relief. Disc problems are so painful.

QNS, sounds like your knee is getting ready to be replaced. It always amazes me how fast knees can 'go out'. But the replacements seem wonderful. I know many people who have had them and are very happy.

Jeannie, not planning to do the BH mystery this year. I think I've had enough of them. I never quilted my Allietare. It had been a finished top for way too long. Wasn't really into it anymore, so I listed it for sale online. It sold in less than 24 hours!

My last favorite BH quilt was Ringo Lake, but done in my own colors and straight set, rather than on point. I added my own ribbon border, too. I will be watching the development of the new design. I will lurk and cheerlead.
    Last edited by sewbizgirl; 10-30-2019 at 02:01 AM.

I have way too much agoing on in my life to do the BH mystery. I'm not even gonna go look as I am sure that I will get sucked in.
    Bev

Page 142 of 144 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 141 142 143 ... LastLast