Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 140 of 142 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,476 to 3,500 of 3526

Thread: The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Happy Birthday, Sue! Another milestone reached. Try ice on that knee. It really brings down the inflamation which relieves the pain. Just a bag of frozen peas will do, if you don't have a gel pack. Try 15-20 minutes every couple of hours or whenever you take your tylenol.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

OK, of course you know we will want to see that quilt!
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html

Happy Birthday QNS! Hope you have a great day...sorry you hurt yourself.

OK--Yes it was the Quilt Show in Cedar Rapids. Mom wants me to find another one for us to go to. Of course the Des Moines one is this weekend and we are both busy with other things....might have to wait until spring to find something close to home. Hope you are able to get some quilting in today.

Happy Birthday QNS - now you are as old as me!!! LOL

I am still busy quilting an older Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt (Easy Street which I finished in 2013). I have about 1/4 of it to do. As I was sewing along today, I felt something was wrong! I pulled it out and saw that I had screwed up my quilting, so am unpicking a small piece. Rats!!!

I am also putting together a Block of the Month Quilt that I did here on the board many years ago.

We have had cloudy weather here for the past two days. Suppose to get warmer for a few days, then drop back down in temps.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

Happy Birthday Sue! I do hope your knee feels better real soon. DD has given up on Sugar also. She has silent RA. They have been calling it Fibro but Fibro doesn't show up in the hands. The new Dr says that it is silent RA. She has suffered w/it since she was 25.
    I love hearing about everyone's quilts. OK I'm looking forward to seeing the one ya are quilting now.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

Best wishes for another wonderful year, QNS! Your little positive life comments you write are often encouraging to me.

What is silent RA? Is that the kind of rheumatoid arthritis you don't complain about? :-)

I had a blood test this week for determining my arthritis type because I need a 'doctor's note' for work. My doctor wanted confirmation it was rheumatoid. The lab work came back. 0-20 was a normal range, and mine was <20. What does that mean, I wonder?

Silent RA is where the test results show no RA but her swollen Knuckles are proof that she has RA.
    Bev

Hm. Well, that's very interesting! I'll mention it to my doctor next time to see what she has to say. I wasn't really keen on her reaction to my request to write a note for my employer. She had available to her my Xrays-- that resulted in my diagnosis-- but seemed to blow them off in preference to the result of a blood test, which I hadn't done yet.

They are still trying to get DD in to see a Rheumatologist. This referral system is just the worst thing ever!
    Bev

Both of our children that is talking to us wished me a happy Birthday. Made my weekend. I got in the quilt room and sewed the plate mats together, now to bind them. Slowly regaining the ability to use my left knee; have tendon damage, so it will take a while, slow steps forward. Had it in my right knee, so the brace I used for it comes in handy for the left. I about starved to death in the weekend, but made it to the kitchen by ten each morning. Monday, I am up at seven and timing is back to normal! Sun is shining but its cool outside. More time to quilt inside!

Blog Entries
    Enjoy the cool...supposed to be mid 80's and very humid up north, but the sun is shining!

So many health issues to follow up on...take care folks! Just got Medicare drug supplemental insurance info. Monthly premium is doubling, deductible is rising, and co pays are increasing. MrOk has 1 RX he can get a 90-day fill for $10 without insurance. But if he doesn't have insurance now he will be penalized later when he needs it...doesn't make sense. Time to look at a new plan for him!

So back to UFO land. While sorting stuff I got tired of looking for places to put things...and put a small UFO on the LA, found a new panto on line, quilted it and sewed first round of binding yesterday. Now to stitch it down. I have had an extended break between work dates and can't believe how much I've gotten done. That will change soon!

Have a great day. Plan on mowing lawn today...it's to rain tomorrow and Wed.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I saw a Rheumatologist for my Osteoarthritis. Had the injections (both Cortisone and the Gel Stuff) in my right knee last July. Neither worked for me, so had to have a Partial Knee Replacement. Wow - that has worked wonderfully!! I can walk again without it aching. My hands swell and my knuckles are enlarged, particularly on my right hand. Arthritis is no fun, my friends. All my sewing is done on machine - any hand sewing ends up with much pain to my fingers and hands. At least I do not have Rheumatoid! My mother had both kinds of arthritis, I am lucky mine is only Osteo.
    "You have enough quilts made when your soul is filled, your creativity satisfied and your fingers just won't work anymore."

I have to sign up for Medicare this year. My older sister gave me a book to read, the other older sister gave me two books to read. I feel overwhelmed with it. It all feels like a maze I don't want to step into.

My Bonnie Hunter class is in a month! It's time to stop procrastinating with making units for the quilt top she will be teaching. I don't want to go empty-handed! Oh!

Always something to challenge us givio! We have the regular Medicare, and use my husbands insurance from the Federal Govt (GEHA) as our supplemental. With both of them, we do not have any deductibles to pay. Works out wonderfully.

How wonderful that you are taking a class from Bonnie! Are you suppose to make units for the class??? What class are you taking? I know you will have a wonderful time, I heard her speak at our local Quilt Guild several years ago! I am anxious to hear about your class, be sure to keep us posted!

Jeanie, glad you are liking your knee replacement. Several of my students and friends at the gym have had knees and hips replaced, and have been very happy.

Givio, hubby just signed up for Medicare. He has VA coverage as a disabled vet, but got part B so he could go to better doctors outside the VA system. (Not that all the VA drs are bad, he's had some great ones...) That is still two birthdays away, for me, but I'm lucky that I know a Humana rep whom I trust, who can help me navigate through it when the time comes. I know if you don't enroll on time than your are penalized and pay more per month, for the rest of your life... which doesn't seem right. Read those books, if you can stand it!

I see that I haven't posted all week. I have felt purdy bad though. I had asthma bad enough that I went to the Dr on Monday. Today I am feeling better. I worked on 3 sewing machines this last week. (I sure am glad that I brought all of those home from the storage unit to work on.) I am also working like the dickens to get my Irish Chain made. My background blocks are gonna have bluebonnets embroidered on 'em. I have all of the background blocks made & am running my embroidery machine hard. I am getting 4 bluebonnets embroidered each day. Today I started sewing the strip sets together to make the chain blocks. I now have 200 2P's of the 548 that I need. I do still have a bunch of strips sewn to cut from.
    My embroidery machine has been working so hard that (even though I know I cleaned it in class) I decided to give it an extra oiling. I was gonna do that on Monday but it started making a scraping sound! Alright, I took it down & searched for that sound. I was convinced that it was the take-up lever rubbing on the plastic cover of the machine. But there was nothing touching in that area. I searched & searched for what seemed like forever when I finally found it. It was the needle bar going through the plastic needle threader! Nothing critical! I got it all oiled, buttoned back up & set it to making bluebonnets again.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-06-2019 at 02:57 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Bev

I had a message all typed up yesterday but must have never hit "post"?? Unless of course I replied on a different thread thinking it was this one, then oops!

It will be a few years before I start thinking about Medicare...I just turned 40 in April. Thankfully my MIL (81), who I take to all her doctor appts, had signed up for it before I started caring for her and I didn't have to figure it out!

We traveled to College Station, Texas last weekend for my son's last outdoor archery tournament of the year. He took 3rd place...that moved him up to a 13th place National Ranking for 2019, not quite the top 10 he was hoping for, but after a couple rough tournament a great way to finish the year. Unfortunately it didn't work out to meet up with dublb when we were so close, but maybe next time!

We got home late Monday afternoon after a long two days in the car...bought a new to me Jeep Grand Cherokee in Kansas City, KS on our way home (we had a few on our list to look at on our path to/from TX). That made the last 5hrs home a little long since we both had to drive alone.

Then I've spent the week getting the house in order and making freezer meals...I think I ended up with at least 20 in the freezer. Some still need to be thawed/cooked, others are just take out/warm up meals. My friend from FL is coming tomorrow for 3 weeks so I wanted to have some easy meals prepped since I'll be sewing during the days. I really hope to get *lots* done!!!!

Today will be spent packing sewing stuff and finishing cutting fabrics. We will set up at the airbnb she is renting nearby me. That way she'll be able to sew in the evenings after I leave to come home and tend to my family.

Blog Entries
    The next day after the increased premium letter, there was a letter from our agent. They are on top of it! Good to know.

givio...you can sign up for Medicare on line. We chose to do it @ SS office as we share a birthday and that can be confusing and cause extra ?'s

Two of our guild members did a wshop with BH, too. They enjoyed it and are reporting back to us at one of our meetings.

I remember keeping up with the kids' activities, carrie! There's a reason you have kids when you are younger...you have more energy. Congrats to your son! I imagine you are looking forward to your sew date! Sounds like you are preparing to make the most of your time...Enjoy!

I am attempting to add a photo of the last UFO I finished. My camera/phone pictures have been too big. #1GS helped a bit this morning to downsize initial image...will see how that works in the future. This quilt was based on Barbara Brackman's Under Lincoln's Stars. Of course "I go big or go home sometimes" and made increased the overall size and added the outer rows of stars with a small 16P in the center. Darn...must still be too big...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I have been so busy working on machines! I had an old (70's) Kenmore that just didn't want to switch the stitches. No matter where ya set the Zig Zag it would do a blind stitch. It is now working right. Took it soaking in oil 3 days to get it right. It's nice to get one of these old ladies going again.
    I have also been working on my Bluebonnet Double Irish Chain.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    What kind of oil did you use, Bev? I have an old "badge" machine that belonged to a dear aunt that I would like to get Mooooving again.

I worked from 10:00 to 3:00 today...got out to the car and had to clean snow off of the windshields! Thick wet stuff...most is gone from the ground now, but a damp, chilly wind is blowing from the west...yuk!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

I have Zoom oil here at the house. I have ordered a lube kit that has some different oils. But the main one is the same formula as Zoom w/a better applicator than that tube that leaks everywhere. I highly recommend that everyone get some of that Zoom & see if ya can get some kinda bottle w/a tiny tip to dispense it with.

To oil that li'le beauty look at every moving "joint" & put a tiny drop of oil right there. You'll need to grease the gears also. I'll remember the name of the grease once I get my kit. For now I have been using Vasoline but that'll only last a couple of months. I'm gonna have to redo all the ones that I have worked on so far, in January.
    Snow!? Wow! That's something I hadn't even considered! We did get a bit of a cool front blow through but we didn't even turn on a space heater much less light the wood burning stove!
    Last edited by dublb; 10-12-2019 at 07:45 PM.
    Bev

Blog Entries
    Thanks Bev...I have Zoom to oil my machines...good stuff.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Yup it is!
    Bev

There is a grease that came with my Singer 503 for the gears. Gosh that stuff is over 50 years old!!! I wondered what kind of grease to use now! Let us know the name of that kind you use Bev. I'll get some of that Zoom. Thanks for the info. My Singer has such a great manual. It tells you where to put the grease and oil.

Those older ladies are so neat! The more modern one's have parts that are not as evident about what to oil. There are oil penetrating bearings, &/or wicks in addition to the rest of the normal moving parts & gears. These are also very hard to get to. I was pleased to find that my Janome had 2 wicks & no bearings. I don't know if all of Janome's are that way but my 2012 does.
    Bev

Page 140 of 142 FirstFirst ... 40 90 130 139 140 141 ... LastLast