Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 PM

mmac71, here's a picture from the top and side of the toothbrush 'needle.' Also, a pic of the new rug I started. It looks a lot different than the last one!
Attached Thumbnails rag-rug.jpg   rag-rug-needle.jpg   rag-rug-needle2.jpg  
Old 03-14-2018, 04:38 PM

Oh...not what my mind pictured. Thanks. I guess you thread fabric through the hole then knotted? Got a good start on the new one.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Power Poster

Givio, do you just knot the ends of the strips together, and then not worry about the knots?

The new rug is nice and colorful!
Old 03-15-2018, 03:17 PM

Yes, the madras plaid gave an unexpectedly cool effect of color! I try to arrange the joins so they fall on the back of the rug.

I start the rug, thread the needle, attach new strips, and increase knots (to make the rounds bigger) like she instructs in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K4snhQdum0 I learned how to do the method by watching her video, very informative! I didn't want a really heavy rug, so I used 2" strips instead of the 3" strips she suggests. I adjust the width of the strip to accommodate if the fabric is really thin (like the plaid I used here was thin, so I ripped the strips 2 1/4") or really thick (like a homespun, maybe reduce the strip to 1 3/4"). You will get the idea of how wide to make the strips as you go along.

My rugs are about 1/2" thick using the 2" size strip. The first one is by my bed, and the feel of it under bare feet is very nice.

A tip: I tried rotary cut strips vs. ripped strips and I thought ripping was both faster and made a neater knot. The rotary cut strip tends to shred on the edges when it's pulled through the loop. The ripped one, after you remove loose threads, doesn't have a way to shred little pieces anymore. I try to fold under the ripped edge so it doesn't show, and you can do the same with the cut edge, but anyway, I just preferred it ripped.

Another tip: Prints that have a front and a back, if you want to be consistent and have the print show on each knot (or the back, as the preference may be) will take some time to arrange the strip before you pull the knot tight. Whereas, with the madras plaid or a batik you don't have to fiddle to arrange the fabric because both sides are the same, or the 'front.' So, for example, if you use a solid blue sheet, it will knot a lot faster than a calico print.

Last edited by givio; 03-15-2018 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:31 PM

Givio, you give excellent directions to make the lovely rug. I like both of them and my birthday is in September. Love blue, purple and a whole rainbow of colors...in that order.

Now I know it's not Christmas; but someone has done a very kind deed that overwhelms me to the point of tears... a package arrived in the mail from a Massachusetts book company. The book inside was Twisted Classics I was wishing for. Thanks a million for the book whomever is responsible, it is appreciated more than words can say right now. We are facing tough times right now and will weather the storm one day at a time together, knowing this too shall pass. The kindness and thoughtfulness of the good person has brought joy into our lives. Hugs.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:32 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing your rugmaking method, givio! Very nice.

What goes around comes around, QNS...kindness often gets repaid when you least expect it.

Well folks, my first long arm quilt is done. I was able to purchase a used Baby Lock Crown Jewel. The seller brought it over this morning, set it up and gave me a quick lesson. Later I put on a 74 x 85 BH flimsy and got it meander quilted in 4 hours...I am now addicted...Only problem is I have too many other things to do, but I'm just stoked about using it. I had some money gifted from my aunt several years ago and it was enough to cover the cost of the unit...Thank you Aunt G. Will try to get pics, but must go to bed now!!!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:32 AM

I am so happy for you Ok. Enjoy your new toy. Looking forward to pictures.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

Excited for you on the Crown Jewel, OK... would love to see what it can do!

QNS, I didn't say anything about the book coming, because I wanted it to be a surprise! It's a used copy so I hope it's a good one... and I hope that's the right book you wanted! Just wanted to cheer you up a little, as you have given and given to all of us.

Better days ahead!
Old 03-16-2018, 06:59 PM

OK, yesterday DH & I were busy getting rocks outta the garden. He would till it & we would gather all the rocks that would come to the top. Then he would till it again........we spent all day doing that.

Today I went w/DD's Home School group to visit the Capital building. Well we went to the Bob Bullock Museum, the Visitor Center, & finally the Capital building.

Tomarrow we will all be back in the garden.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:38 AM

SBG, it was a surprise, a great pick-me-upper, looks like new to me. And it has a couple more patterns in the book I would love to try. It s bright and beautiful and a joy to look at again and again. I am doing more looking than sewing this week. Sinus problems makes me slow, and take things easy. Experimenting on different patterns, an old over and under one that is challenging. What are you all doing?

Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone.