Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued >

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

The fws pony club update photo - discussion - completed page: Continued

Old 10-08-2016, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Yes, stay safe, Honchey!

I can't afford long arm quilting, either. After spending all the money on fabric and materials, I just can't absorb the additional cost of quilting. So I straight line quilt a lot, or do simple FMQ. It gets the job done. I use a walking foot a lot for straight line quilting. It really helps.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:58 PM

I do all my own quilting also. I always SITD around areas that I want to stand out. I am pretty good at FMQ if I have a design to follow, such as large open areas that I can fit a stencil into, or borders. I am not fond of too much quilting. I guess I am really old fashioned, I like the designs to stand out.

I got the binding on my Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice, and have half of my FWS 30's quilt put together. I had an aunt that passed away a week ago, and had to help set up the reception last evening, and we had the funeral today. I have not been in my sewing room for the past two days.

We leave Monday for a Rally with our RV Group. We will be back on Thursday, then I am taking my DH to Laughlin, NV for his 75th birthday the following Monday. From there we are going to Phoenix to visit my son and granddaughter that live there. Don't know when I will get back to quilting!!!
Old 10-09-2016, 04:32 AM

I owe an apology to a couple of wonderful people; this last week has seemed like two weeks or maybe three weeks long instead of just a week. You know who you are without adding names, I am sure. my inter-clock is racing ahead ;and throwing me off...if I move too quickly, I get very dizzy. DH has not felt good and that added to the mix. I am going into denial again, until everything straightens out. And enjoy quilting.

I watched a video from down under on the Hunter's Star and had to try to do it the way the video did it. Finally figured it out last night and placed the pieces in the right order. Amazing, all straight line sewing. I can use scraps and slowly add blocks to the pile. Going to try others too like flying geese by different methods, review what I know and try some new ways as well. Looking for border ideas and mini's too. All with the tons of scraps I have yet...after maxing out everyone on the big move to reduce the stash.

Have a wonderful Sunday; may it bring happiness and sunshine into your lives.
Old 10-09-2016, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Yes, Jeanie, I, too, think quilting should complement the piece work, not overwhelm it...this is so true with my minis. Yesterday at the quilt show there was a gal who does beautiful FMQ on old linens...I didn't check what kind of thread she was using, but had a Juki sewing machine that she had added a row of LED lights under the horizontal part of the harp. She used old linen embroidery pieces and the vintage type tablecloths. The colors were not the traditional primary ones with fruit, but soft pinks and blues with tulips.

Frost on the ground again this morning...brought some of my geraniums in...the ones in the water tank are still looking good though. Those I started as root cuttings last winter...Will do that again next year.

Have to sew my blocks for guild tomorrow and work on the pictures from last month. Have a good one....
Old 10-09-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Nina, take care of yourself! Maybe a checkup is in order if you are getting dizzy? There is a hunter's star monthly block swap going on now on the board. They also use the 'easy method' to make the blocks. I am tempted... the quilts look so good scrappy.

Jeanie, I would love to see your Celtic Solstice! I got on the Bonnie Hunter Train right after that quilt. I've made the Grand Illusion, and the Allietare, as well as a big Chunky Churndash. All are waiting to be quilted... (shame ). What machine do you use to quilt your quilts?

You have a LOT lined up. The RV rally sounds fun. Don't get too busy to pop in and say hello to us!
Old 10-09-2016, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by oksewglad View Post
Yes, Jeanie, I, too, think quilting should complement the piece work, not overwhelm it...
I totally agree! I went to a quilt show on Friday and the lighting was set up to show off the quilting, but made it harder to see the piecing! The hall was a little dark with the lighting coming from way up above, straight down, so as to really cast shadows on the surface of the quilts to show off the quilting. It. Drove. Me. Nuts! The quilting was beautiful, no doubt, but it was hard to see the piecing on so many of the quilts. It was apparent that quilting was emphasized more than piecing in that show.

BTW, I'm having a problem getting the pics from the show transfered off my phone so I can post them here on the board. Still trying.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:07 AM

I have a wellness check coming up the 1st of November. If the medication is too heavy for my blood pressure I have dizzy moments...guess I am a dizzy dame. LOL! They have lightened it up twice now...may have to again.

Love my new haircut...makes me feel so much better that my head does not feel so heavy!

Nice that OK and SBG got to sew quilt shows. Often its an inspiration to do more of your own. No frost here..yet. Second time around Irises are still blooming strong. Nice show there. Take care. Good to hear Honchey is safe and doing well.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:33 AM

SBG - I am using a Brother 1500S to quilt on. It is a single stitch machine, and I love, love, love it! It sews with such beautiful stitches. I use it for piecing also, unless I have it set up for quilting. Then I have a Baby Lock to use for piecing. I have it set up in a large Koala Cabinet that I picked up on Craig's List a few years ago. So the sewing machine is level with the table. I have a Sew Steady surround for the machine, so there are no gaps around the sewing machine. I love this system. I have done the last six Bonnie Hunter Mysteries. My first was Roll, Roll, Cotton Boll, which is still my favorite. I still have a few that need quilting too. Since finishing the FWS 30's blocks, I have been quilting lots of older items, so hopefully I can keep chipping away at the backlog.
Attached Thumbnails celtic-solstice.jpg  
Old 10-09-2016, 11:02 AM

Beautiful, Jeanie. I love your colors. Someday, I am going to try quilting as I go. I love the Sew Steady machine clear tops...have them for my Bernina 1530 Inspire. The 550 Bernina sits in a Horn quilting desk with extension out the back and side. LED lights on it are brightener than the lights on my older machine. Looked at an Elna, but even on sale, it would not fit in my budget. Maybe down the road a piece. Love the Baby Lock machines, too.
Old 10-09-2016, 11:39 AM

I've only done one QAYG, a wall hanging, and that was the exchange we had several years ago. With my Celtic Solstice, I sandwiched and quilted it as usual. I have been using the Elmer's Glue in place of spray glue and I think it works wonderfully well. There are a lot of videos and instructions of how to use it. When I get back from our Phoenix trip at the end of the month, I will start another quilting project, my Bonnie Hunter Easy Street from 2012/13.