Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The FWS Pony Club week 18 Flying Clouds & Friendship Star Discussion Page >

The FWS Pony Club week 18 Flying Clouds & Friendship Star Discussion Page

The FWS Pony Club week 18 Flying Clouds & Friendship Star Discussion Page

Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
**H*A*P*P*Y***D*A*N*C*E**

I just picked up my FWS from the LAQ .... squeeeeeeeeeeeel !!!!!!!

Final step of binding soon to come!! wheeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
QuiltE I picked up my FWS from the LAer a few weeks ago, I have the binding on ----- and I'm not sure I am happy with the quilting she has done on it. I think I need a day to myself to lay it out and keep coming back to look at it. She quilted it in a dark thread and to me it seems the blocks are lost..
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 AM

Mirabelle, have you posted a pic here yet? If so where and if not PLEASE do!! I'm so excited to see yours & QE's FWS. I'm sure it's beautiful. It looks so different once quilted that I understand you looking at it and wondering. I've never quilted with dark thread so that too would take me getting used to looking at. I'm so excited for you & QE.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:37 AM

JanRN will post a pic tomorrow, I have to hang it on the clothes line as it is so big. Should I post here or on the FWS chat... although I think most of the FWSer's are here..
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Oh MiraB ... I'm for you that you are and disappointed with the quilting. Maybe by not looking at it for a few days, and then seeing it from a distance, it will help you take your eyes off the dark? And I'm sure I haven't helped much, with my excitement. I'm sorry. As for where to post, whether right or wrong, I've continued to post it over on the original FWS completion thread, so that anyone following the thread sees it. Meanwhile, as you know I do tell everyone here about it so they won't miss it.

I left it with my LAQ for the thread choice and she used a brown for the main part, with a matching green for the final border as she felt the brown was going to emphasize the quilting too much rather than let the border frame it. You still see the quilting there, but it's more subtle. I can see what you mean with the quilting taking you away from the work of the block, as I can see that in some of mine. And then, there are some of the blocks, where the quilting has improved the block!! Almost every block has a different quilt design. My backing is a beige/cream marble look with some bling, so with the darker stitchings, it makes for a nice reversable whole cloth look!

JanRN ... not sure when I'll get the binding done. Then to figure out how to get a good photo! I wish I had a clothesline .... maybe the eavestrough of my home?

Last edited by QuiltE; 05-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM

Miribelle; I hope that your quilt looks better after time. I'm so sorry that it wasn't what ya thought it would be. Did you & the quilter discuss thread color, or did she do it on her own? Do ya need ta talk ta her about it? {{Huggs!}}
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM

It's rain' it's porin', The old man is snorin'! He fell outa' bed & bumped her head & now he is roarin'!"
I'm so excited!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 AM

I did post on the FWS thread but will post here, so I hope nobody minds,
I couldn't get a full photo of it as it is just so big, hope you like it
Attached Thumbnails fws.jpg   fws1.jpg   fws2.jpg  
Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 AM

Beautiful!!! Wow. Maybe this will inspire me to finish the last four rows of mine...all blocks are sewn together down to last four rows. It was a BIG project, and so nice to know and see one finished.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 AM

Oh that is wonderful!! You have a great balance of light & dark blocks, colors, tones--just beautiful. I understand your initial reaction to the dark quilting thread; I'm not used to that either but it really enhances your blocks. We look at our quilts up close and stare at individual parts--piecing, colors, quilting, etc. but when viewed as a whole you get a different perspective. It is stunning Mirabelle and you should be very, very proud of yourself. Great work!
Old 05-15-2012, 05:04 AM

I agree with JanRN. Wonderful balance of color values and beautiful work. It looks like she used a computerized design. Have you looked at how other LAQ's choose to quilt this quilt? There are endless possibilities I'm sure. It's difficult when the finished product doesn't meet our expectations. Is this a nudge towards your own LA? You do a lot of quilting from what you've shown us and you might really enjoy it.